Poll: Why retire early?

Why Retire Early?

• Dissatisfaction with work. (e.g. boss, commute, politics, boredom)

Votes: 230 51.6%
  • Desire to pursue leisure activities (e.g. travel, sports, hobbies)

Votes: 273 61.2%
  • Desire to work in a different capacity (e.g. volunteer, small business, part-time)

Votes: 69 15.5%
  • Desire to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones

Votes: 146 32.7%
  • Desire to care for a loved one with health issues

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Your health (poor health or desire to become healthier)

Votes: 78 17.5%
  • Freedom to pursue your love of art, music, and/or culture

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • Freedom to live in a different place

Votes: 86 19.3%
  • Ability to live a quiet, tranquil and reflective life

Votes: 176 39.5%
  • Other

Votes: 47 10.5%

• Total voters
I don't know how to do quotes but what W2R said suits me perfectly. I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.

Several of the options apply to our desire to ER. The most compelling reason right now is to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones. Our little guy is now 5 and 1/2 months old is sooo fun to be around. Just watching his inquisitive mind work provides so much entertainment and happiness

"Other" because the industry I was working in was on the way out anyway, and was given a death blow by the recession. As a result I was laid off and my job doesn't really exist anymore.

It was something I had always wanted to do, so I lived my dream by doing it. Now it's gone and although I may well work again, I'm not sure if I will ever be passionately involved in my work again.

I had a great job and was compensated well, but I was just tired of working. I chose 1,2,9, with a big emphasis on 9...I love my quiet, tranquil, reflective life now! Suites me just fine.

+1 Not ER yet (Sept 2011 targeted), but same reasons, just getting old (job that is, me to a lesser degree).

I chose #2 due to my love of travel. I'd like to be able to spend the winter in Hawaii or the summer in Alaska if I choose. I hate being constrained to a two week block of time. It's like getting 1 or 2 bites of a fabulous steak only to watch the waiter haul the rest to the trash can. :(

I think you forgot "Why Not?" and "Because I Could".

I was just trying to be a smart ass.:D

I picked 1, 2, 4 and 9.

Honestly, I retired because I could draw my pension, but I had decided to stay where I was and earn that pension when I was 23. I was ready to leave 4 years before I could. I was managing great projects and then management changed and office politics got me. My projects were stripped from me, I was absorbed into another division and my new boss was a real treat.

I was getting bored too. Probably partly because I knew the date was approaching I began exploring other things to do. About 6 months, the idea of continuing to work after taking my pension, just seemed like a little slice of hell. I decided I wanted to do something else, work for myself, enjoy life and do what I wanted. This forum helped shape my new philosophy.

Now I am writing a book, raising my boys and taking it easy. I'm also trying to get my DW into the semi-retired attitude. She's a little high strung, so she needs to relax and enjoy. Really, I just did it because I could. I really feel like this is what I've always wanted to do and what I'm suited for. People who value their jobs and their work ethic would probably cringe, but I am who I am.

I voted for "pursue leisure activities" and "other". For me, "other" is burnout. I'm not dissatisfied with my job as such, I'm just getting tired of being a night owl in a morning lark world. I don't want it to be just Fridays I get to stay up really late. I think when I retire I might take a while off from everything, and follow my natural sleep pattern—stay up until I get sleepy, and then sleep until I wake up by myself the next day. I sometimes think if I could just do that for a month or six weeks I might work myself all the way around the clock and be functioning in the time zone I actually live in instead of a few hours later than everyone else. Sometimes I think my internal clock runs on 25 hour days or something!:duh:

1, 4 and 9 (although 9 will be very tough with 2 young children).

I'd flip the question around and ask reasons for not retiring:

1. you need the money

2. you love your job

3. you live in a dictatorship where someone is holding a gun to your head.

2,3 for me. Gradually reducing work hours to spend more time on travel/hobbies. I'm down to 3 days a week with some work at home. Work is evolving into a consulting gig, which is ok in the short term. The more I reduce my hours, the more hobbies I pick up requiring even more leisure time.

I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.
Same here. I am still getting glowing reviews and a great deal of respect from peers, more than any of my counterparts. However, I know that I am not as interested in the work and not performing at my best anymore (whether anyone else sees it yet or not). Two of my former peers were shown the door involuntarily, and I am sure they did not see it coming. I would rather leave too early on great terms, than be surprised to find out later I'd outlived my usefulness...

I don't know how to do quotes but what W2R said suits me perfectly. I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.

There are four buttons at the bottom of each post: Thanks, Quote, Multi-quote, and Quick. Click on the "Quote" button and you'll have that post quoted in your post.

I voted the Hat Trick (hockey terminology for 3 goals in 1 game).

Dissatisfaction with w*rk,
my Health (desire to be healthier - carpal tunnel and upper body RSI), and
the Ability to live quiet, tranquil etc. life

When I look at photos taken of me when I was w*rking, compared to postFIRE photos, I am utterly amazed at the difference. I actually look young again. :D
I did the same before/after comparison for Mr B. Identical results. :D

About equal incentives to retire were the issues of having to plan our lives around the insane traffic in the Washington, D.C. area and the frustration/difficulty of persuading management of the importance of keeping up with the rapid changes in computer forensics. It is admittedly an expensive unit to run, but so are DNA labs, and the payoffs are just as huge.

So I bailed at the top of my game and I'm happy with that part of it. DW was stressed at her job, often working 10-12 hour days six or sometimes seven days a week and having frequent headaches, back and shoulder pain from all that time at a keyboard.

We had zero debt and a COLA'd pension, medical and prescription coverage, and when I looked at the numbers, even taking a spousal benefit option, my monthly net income would go up since I was maxed out on the 457. Given the circumstances it was hard to find a reason NOT to retire and move to West Virginia!

We thought about it - "Are we making the right decision?" and later "Did we make the right decision?" because if we'd stayed we'd be in top 5% of income households. But the clincher came six months after the move when one of my sisters said "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years."

Then "the light dawned over Marblehead".

So for the moment yeah, I have a job, but I still have my KMA hat, it's low-stress, has an easy 3.4 mile commute, the hours align with my circadian rhythms, and it does not involve paperwork or heavy lifting. While the bulk of the unplanned-for income goes to savings (at this point that's probably hardwired in both of us) we still have the freedom to indulge in what we would otherwise consider frivolous nonsense.

It is funny how things turn out . I never planned on starting a business and here I am with a successful (hobby ) business .:)

I get you...but I brought so many expensive things I collected over the years that I don't need but couldn't throw away that I will be forced to sell them on ebay, so I probably will be joining you in that, Moemg, when things settle down here totally (house finally put totally together, taxes done and so forth). However, even doing that will still leave time for play.:whistle:

Yep.

I have avoided some promotion opportunities over the last couple of years... why complicate my life when I intend to leave. I know that has some people at w*rk scratching their heads.

Heh, heh, heh... I have no doubt there will be more than a few jealous peers when I announce "au revoir"!

It will probably cause several to have personal remorse about not preparing for FIRE themselves!

:greetings10:

It was no choice of mine. I was laid off. Me and another 1.200.

Doesn´t mean I wasn´t extremely glad when it happened:). At that moment i was the HR manager of a 3500 worker shipyard (a position I wasn´t suited for), and the unions were giving me a tough time. Not to mention my Central Headquarters bosses. And my local Director of the yard.

I was 55 when I stepped out. Never looked back.

If the downsizing hadn´t taken place I would have had to carry on -probably not in the same position- till I reached 65.:mad:

I want to retire early for many reasons.

1.) Been doing the same thing for 40 + years. Tired of it and I want something new.
2.) In recent years politics has invaded the work place and I don't want any part of this trend.
3.) I want that feeling again. I remember the feeling I had when I regained my Freedom for Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. I want that again.
4.) I planned when I started working this job, that I would retire at 55. Close but it's coming.
5.) "I Want to Do, What I Want Do" Having fulfilled my expected societal obligations to my family and society it is time.
6.) Because I Can!

It was no choice of mine. I was laid off. Me and another 1.200.

I was 55 when I stepped out. Never looked back.

If the downsizing hadn´t taken place I would have had to carry on -probably not in the same position- till I reached 65.:mad:
Vicente, I think we must be soul mates as similar things happened to me at the same age.

Now I'm finding that I can grow in ways that weren't possible before because I was always doing it for another institution, not me. I love analyzing things and now I can do that with stocks, physics, gardening, exercise, ... virtually anything I want. ER was a wonderful gift even if it happened prematurely.

Yep.

I have avoided some promotion opportunities over the last couple of years... why complicate my life when I intend to leave. I know that has some people at w*rk scratching their heads.

Heh, heh, heh... I have no doubt there will be more than a few jealous peers when I announce "au revoir"!

It will probably cause several to have personal remorse about not preparing for FIRE themselves!

:greetings10:

Heh, I have told my immediate boss (with whom I am pretty close) that another promotion would be grounds for me quitting. A ton of more crap for an extra pittance.

I picked every single option except the one about taking care of an ill relative (although perhaps the elderly dog who landed in the vet hospital overnight tonight qualifies). Gawd, please get me out soon...

I chose 1, 2 and 6. Am into my 6th month of retirement and found out that I now have a new interest (don't consider it work) - I'm a regular homemaker. Cook 2 meals a day, run errands and get the home in order. However, still get lots of time to pursue activities and travel.

9 out of 10 for me :D Currently no sick relatives to care for.

I can't wait to FIRE! Reason #1 is because my career of 25 years has devolved over the last 10 years and I'm really bored. It's depressing.:(

Back
Top Bottom