Psychopaths in Retirement

Scarecrow

Dryer sheet aficionado
Some years ago, our department director took an early retirement buyout, and we thought we would never see him again. Recently someone saw him in the lobby, decked out in the "interview costume" (nice suit). Word is that he is bored in retirement, wants to get back in the game. There is a managing director position that recently opened up, which we think he is after.

He had a reputation as something of a psychopath. Oddly enough, he was quite charming around the office, but, stories from the "management room" tell of him taking pleasure in belittling/tormenting his management underlings. I've read this to be true of psychopaths, that they can be very charming, except when they are not...

This all got me thinking, "Are psychopaths suited to retirement?". At work, if they are in mgmt, they have underlings with big mortgages, car payments, kids, etc. These underlings are under the psychopath's thumb. Of course the underlings could look for a new job, but that's a hassle/risk, and, they might end up with a worse psychopath!!!

If a psychopath retires, and perhaps becomes a volunteer manager over some volunteer worker bees (or I guess they would just be called volunteer bees), then the psychopath has no power over them. The volunteer bees won't put up with any abuse.

So, do psychopaths need to "hunt", i.e. get a routine taste of blood by abusing the underlings? Or, can they find enough joy in traditional retirement pursuits (travel, golf, whatever)?

Perhaps psychopaths need to keep working and "die with their boot on".

My psychology knowledge consists of a college psych course eons ago, plus reading pop psychology articles in magazines/newspapers. So, it's quite likely I don't know what I'm talking about here. :) Any professional psychologists or psychiatrists out there, please feel free to educate me.

I wonder what my team thinks of me behind my back? I can be a hard ass but I try to be fair and always defend my team as well as fight for their raises and bonuses. That doesn't mean I baby them when it comes to expectations, we're employed because we provide value to the employer not to keep the seats warm.

I do think that the stress from work makes people act and become worse than they really are. I know that's the case with me...

I thought the thread title was a new TV show. :)

So, do psychopaths need to "hunt", i.e. get a routine taste of blood by abusing the underlings? Or, can they find enough joy in traditional retirement pursuits (travel, golf, whatever)?

The answer(s) are yes and no.

People who have the hardest time in retirement are those that define themselves by their jobs. You don't have to be a psychopath to be like that but it helps.

Psychopaths in retirement? Do they frequent retirement forums?

Anyone who has ever been a caddy at country clubs can attest to the fact that there are plenty of retired psychopaths.

Ha

One person's psychopath is another person's drinking buddy

just put a keg in the breakroom and you will be OK

I don't think all psychopaths are sadistic. they don't have a normal conscience but it doesn't necessarily follow that they all need to abuse others - just that it wouldn't bother them if their gains mean your losses. Abusive bosses may be sadistic psychopaths or just some more pedestrian form of jerk.

My original boss (12 years) was a reformed alcoholic who found religion when he quit drinking.

Unfortunately, he still thought and acted like an alcoholic--held up by a strong group of employees.

I don't know if working for a psychopath could have been worse than him. Thankfully I was transferred elsewhere.

I must have worked for the psychopath you mentioned. He was a sadist and pushed and threatened, not to get more out of you, but just to see people squirm and shake and succumb to his power. Such a sad way to manage, isn't it?

I just recalled that I downloaded the book The Mask of Sanity: An Attempt to Clarify Some Issues About the So-Called Psychopathic Personality by Hervey M. Cleckley, an American psychiatrist, but then forgot about it and have not read it yet.

Just now glanced through it, and see sections entitled "The psychopath as businessman", but also "The psychopath as physician", and "The psychopath as psychiatrist". How fun! How could I forget to read it? Sounds like something I can read through in a few sittings, as I often do interesting books.

This book was first published in 1941, and has been through 5 editions. It is apparently released into the public domain (I forget how I stumbled across a downloadable copy).

Some psychopaths are just miserable people and will adapt to ER in a miserable way. Don't spend time worrying about them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The good thing about being retired is that we don't have to put up with those people anymore. I imagine the retired psychopaths will adapt and find others to control, though.

Serious question: Do psychopaths need others to control?

I thought they lack empathy and remorse, so regard other people as little more than tools to get what they want.

Seems to be at odds with actively seeking people out to "crush" and exploit?

Something to wonder about: Could some people become more like psychopaths/sociopaths due to this form of dementia that comes on during prime working years (40-60) and strips people of empathy before it wrecks memory, etc.:

Frontotemporal Dementia | Signs, Symptoms, & Diagnosis

I dunno. I guess it is possible. That said, I think that at work I've seen just as many psychopaths/sociopaths in their 30s, as ones in their 50's.

Serious question: Do psychopaths need others to control?

I thought they lack empathy and remorse, so regard other people as little more than tools to get what they want.

Seems to be at odds with actively seeking people out to "crush" and exploit?

Agreed. This thread seems to be about psychopathic bosses as if it is a job requirement. As a boss myself, I had several individuals who worked for me over the years who'd best be defined as psychopaths.

They didn't care about controlling, beating up or 'getting something from people'. They just didn't care about anything but themselves.

Back
Top Bottom