Question for anyone in or retired from GMC new truck sales

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi all,

DH and I are looking for a GMC 3500HD diesel dually to pull a new RV that we're about to order (has to be the big boy because the trailer is +16,000 lbs).

We have the truck priced out and MSRP is coming in at $63k (GULP).

We have multiple dealers telling us that there is no negotiating on these trucks. That there are very few made and that it is so specialized that we can take their price or leave it (all we can get is the $2k incentive that GMC has right now).

Are they blowing smoke up our collective behinds or are they telling us the truth?

I went on a local website and they are $12K off MSRP

Are they blowing smoke up our collective behinds or are they telling us the truth?

Keep looking.

Run your desired truck through True Car and I think you'll find dealers willing to sell what you want to you for a few thousand less than sticker - but I don't see anything approaching the $12k discount BH mentioned.

but I don't see anything approaching the $12k discount BH mentioned.

I sent her a PM with the link but it's not a dually

nicely loaded 4x4 HD3500 diesel tho $65K sticker $53K discounted

can't you just add dual wheels to the rear?

Last edited:
.. Snip.

Q. How do I know when a salesperson at a dealership is lying?

A. Their lips move.

There are some available even gently used. I know it for a fact as my neighbor's buy a new one every 3 years, had 3 in 9 years. He hauled his Harley to Sturgis one year. Only time any of the 3 pulled anything! Rest of the ~20k miles they're commuter vehicles. Duelys, diesel, 4wd, they need 4wd in the winter here past that a 1500 would be great.

I have had two but they were fords. Both were 10-13k off MSRP and I ordered both.

You're in Las Vegas, and there are relatively few GMC dealers anywhere near you. The GMC dealer thinks he's got you over a barrel. You can catch a cheap flight to many, many other cities that have more competition and thus lower prices on one ton dually trucks.

If GMC won't deal, head to the most competitive Chevy dealer in town. It's made on the same assembly line as the Chevy. Chevy dealers will always be cheaper than GMC dealers because they have 2x or 3x the volume and they don't have to sell at such high prices.

If Chevy or GMC won't deal with you, head to the Ram or Ford dealerships. Ram sales are up dramatically, but Ford sells more diesel trucks than GM and Ram combined. There's a reason.

I see you are in Las Vegas. Do you have a COSTCO membership there? If so, use their Auto Purchase process. The price will be Dealer Cost, minus some fixed dollar amount based on the MSRP price.
I just concluded a deal on a new Subaru Forester Premium via COSTCO. Dealer is required to show you the MSRP, the Dealer Cost and the COSTCO discount. After that, add back on sales tax, DMV fees and extended warranty (I got 7 year/100,000 miles) My out the door price was the sticker price. The sales tax is 7.8%, the DMV fees were $450 and the warranty was $1200. The sticker price was $23,000. (plus or minus a few bucks)

I found this price was right on the money with Kelly Blue Book's web site here;
Kelley Blue Book

Go there and input your desired truck and take that to the dealer if you don't have COSTCO. I just did for the truck you listed. A crew cab in 2wd is under $50,000. The 4wd all tricked out is $57,843 dealer invoice after $2,000 incentive. Kelly fair price is $59,264 plus or minus a thousand. I have no idea what your DMV or other fees are added to your $63,000 quote. I think your DMV costs are 4%, so that would get you around $62 or $63K.

Just a sidenote;
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram diesel truck I bought via COSTCO for $32,000 out the door. Recently went in for the air bag recall. The dealer offered me $35,000 for it. Shortly after I took the truck to Les Schwab for tires. The salesman asked if I might be interested in selling it and offered me $34,000 for it. Truck prices have gone up so much that my used truck is worth more now than when I bought it!

I like the post someone mentioned taking a trip to get your new truck in another state. Combine that with a stop for your new trailer and you can save a bunch! I did that with my LANCE camper. Drove 900+ miles from my home to Tucson, AZ and saved over $5,000 on the camper compared to every other LANCE dealer in CA, NV, OR, ID, WA. The AZ LANCE dealer sent me a e-mailed quote that I sent to every dealer in the states mentioned and asked them to bid. The closest was more than $5,000 over the AZ price. I love my truck and camper! Good luck getting your truck and 5th wheel.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to look a Ford or Dodge and use those prices to sway your salesperson. Also a Chevy is exactly the same truck. All NA trucks are good, be ready to buy the best deal.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and especially on the tip on the dealer in Boise.

The Boise dealer had exactly one dually and it's in the color and options that DH wanted. AND it was $10k below MSRP.

We checked True Car and Costco since we're members but no one could come close to the dealer in Boise so we pulled the trigger.

Put a deposit on it today and for $179 bucks DH is flying to Boise on Monday to pick it up and drive back to Vegas (about 10 hour drive but for a $10k savings very worth it... specially since he's retired and has nothing better to do).

I bet he will love the drive. they are great over the road trucks.

I just returned from Boise on Monday. Niece was married over the weekend. The dealer picking him up from the airport, right? Of course they are!!

Nice airport there too. If he gets a chance, have him check out the Cabela's while he's there. Lots of stuff for his new truck!! Mats, sun shade, hitch stuff, etc.

The drive is dull though. Dull Dull DULLL!!!!!
What radio does he have in it? CD? Be sure to bring some music he wants to listen to.

Have him ask dealer about break-in on the drive. I'm sure he'll have to change up the speed in order to break in correctly.

If he spends the night, I can recommend Inn America just outside the airport, I mean, you can walk from there to the terminal it's that close. Nice, quiet, new remodel, breakfast etc was $65 for the night. Right next to Motel 6.

Have him check out Dennis Dillon RV there too. Next to the airport, just West. It's a HUGE RV dealership. Worth the look to see what they can do for you guys and a 5th wheel.

You should go along. He could do with the company I'm sure, and if there is an RV at Dillon's you'll want to check it out before he buys it, right?

CONGRATS!!

Last edited:
The sooner the internet puts these stealerships out of business, the better!

Now the truck matter is settled. What kind of fifth wheel trailer are you ordering that weighs 16K lbs. That's more weight than most trailers have.

I too am an RV'er, and I bought my new fifth wheel trailer to match the weight carrying capabilities of my 3/4 diesel pickup.

Now the truck matter is settled. What kind of fifth wheel trailer are you ordering that weighs 16K lbs.

From an earlier post:

Lol, no need to go quite that big. It's the Cedar Creek 39 footer. Total loaded weight is ~16k so we're looking at a Chevy 3500hd diesel dually. The dually is actually a bit overkill but we'd rather get something that is a little too much in case we decide to full time it and go bigger on the trailer.

Yep, it's the Cedar Creek 36CKTS. About 39 ft, residential fridge, king size bed, dishwasher, 3 slides, fireplace, 46" LCD TV... With the slides out the square footage is bigger than my first apartment. Fully loaded weight is a hair over 16k lbs.

I never was a camping kinda girl; but with this beauty I could park in the woods and never come out. Retirement can't get here soon enough!

If the factory sticker is $63000.......and, the discount is 6 to 7% ......as it is.....I know, the cost of the truck is within 4 to 5k of the sticker price. Now, what could change this?.....last years model with additional incentive.....some miles on the truck during a short lease.....factory customer incentives......could be 4 or 5k......BUT don't be mislead thinking a dealer can give a 10k discount on a new truck and stay in business. If a dealer tells you that, ask to see the invoice, go on the GM website and look up customer incentives and be aware that sometimes they represent 0% financing, adding up the savings compared to traditional financing.....high mark up dealer installed options, sometimes adding the ability to add big discounts.....incentives by State of home ownership.....so someone in California could buy the truck cheaper than someone living in another State.....it is a little confusing but it is misleading to think ANY dealer could knock off $10,000 of the basic sticker price.....the dealer just DOES NOT have that kind of mark up.

If the factory sticker is $63000.......and, the discount is 6 to 7% ......as it is.....I know, the cost of the truck is within 4 to 5k of the sticker price. Now, what could change this?.....last years model with additional incentive.....some miles on the truck during a short lease.....factory customer incentives......could be 4 or 5k......BUT don't be mislead thinking a dealer can give a 10k discount on a new truck and stay in business. If a dealer tells you that, ask to see the invoice, go on the GM website and look up customer incentives and be aware that sometimes they represent 0% financing, adding up the savings compared to traditional financing.....high mark up dealer installed options, sometimes adding the ability to add big discounts.....incentives by State of home ownership.....so someone in California could buy the truck cheaper than someone living in another State.....it is a little confusing but it is misleading to think ANY dealer could knock off $10,000 of the basic sticker price.....the dealer just DOES NOT have that kind of mark up.

2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Built After Aug 14 for sale in Boise - 1GT424E85FF625338 - Dennis Dillon GMC

lots of mark up...

Does it really matter to the buyer where the discount is coming from?

Jerome has probably been paying close to MSRP all these years.

My last new truck was a 2011 4x4 ranger that I bought in Jan 2012.

MSRP was $28K. I got it for $19K, no haggle.

New cars have a ton of mark up.

Some dealers can still get close to or MSRP however. A good example are our local Subaru dealers. High demand and low inventory so they can get it. I usually get an internet quote from an out of state dealer and start my negotiations from there. Saved a few grand on my wife's new 13 FXT that way.

"oh we're not making any money on this, etc." gimme a break

Last edited:
What we bought is not even close to "basic".

It has almost every option and add on that was available so the dealer had a LOT of room to discount and still make money.

The Vegas dealers weren't willing to do that because they get very few of this type of truck. The Boise dealer sells a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom