Join Early Retirement Today

Question for anyone in or retired from GMC new truck sales
Old 06-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Question for anyone in or retired from GMC new truck sales

Hi all,

DH and I are looking for a GMC 3500HD diesel dually to pull a new RV that we're about to order (has to be the big boy because the trailer is +16,000 lbs).

We have the truck priced out and MSRP is coming in at $63k (GULP).

We have multiple dealers telling us that there is no negotiating on these trucks. That there are very few made and that it is so specialized that we can take their price or leave it (all we can get is the $2k incentive that GMC has right now).

Are they blowing smoke up our collective behinds or are they telling us the truth?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

I went on a local website and they are $12K off MSRP

Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Are they blowing smoke up our collective behinds or are they telling us the truth?
Keep looking.

Run your desired truck through True Car and I think you'll find dealers willing to sell what you want to you for a few thousand less than sticker - but I don't see anything approaching the $12k discount BH mentioned.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
but I don't see anything approaching the $12k discount BH mentioned.

I sent her a PM with the link but it's not a dually

nicely loaded 4x4 HD3500 diesel tho $65K sticker $53K discounted

can't you just add dual wheels to the rear?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you a Costco member? Their auto sales may be of some help.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

.. Snip.

Q. How do I know when a salesperson at a dealership is lying?

A. Their lips move.

There are some available even gently used. I know it for a fact as my neighbor's buy a new one every 3 years, had 3 in 9 years. He hauled his Harley to Sturgis one year. Only time any of the 3 pulled anything! Rest of the ~20k miles they're commuter vehicles. Duelys, diesel, 4wd, they need 4wd in the winter here past that a 1500 would be great.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
can't you just add dual wheels to the rear?
Not quite that simple...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

I have had two but they were fords. Both were 10-13k off MSRP and I ordered both.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

You're in Las Vegas, and there are relatively few GMC dealers anywhere near you. The GMC dealer thinks he's got you over a barrel. You can catch a cheap flight to many, many other cities that have more competition and thus lower prices on one ton dually trucks.

If GMC won't deal, head to the most competitive Chevy dealer in town. It's made on the same assembly line as the Chevy. Chevy dealers will always be cheaper than GMC dealers because they have 2x or 3x the volume and they don't have to sell at such high prices.

If Chevy or GMC won't deal with you, head to the Ram or Ford dealerships. Ram sales are up dramatically, but Ford sells more diesel trucks than GM and Ram combined. There's a reason.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I see you are in Las Vegas. Do you have a COSTCO membership there? If so, use their Auto Purchase process. The price will be Dealer Cost, minus some fixed dollar amount based on the MSRP price.
I just concluded a deal on a new Subaru Forester Premium via COSTCO. Dealer is required to show you the MSRP, the Dealer Cost and the COSTCO discount. After that, add back on sales tax, DMV fees and extended warranty (I got 7 year/100,000 miles) My out the door price was the sticker price. The sales tax is 7.8%, the DMV fees were $450 and the warranty was $1200. The sticker price was $23,000. (plus or minus a few bucks)

I found this price was right on the money with Kelly Blue Book's web site here;
Kelley Blue Book

Go there and input your desired truck and take that to the dealer if you don't have COSTCO. I just did for the truck you listed. A crew cab in 2wd is under $50,000. The 4wd all tricked out is $57,843 dealer invoice after $2,000 incentive. Kelly fair price is $59,264 plus or minus a thousand. I have no idea what your DMV or other fees are added to your $63,000 quote. I think your DMV costs are 4%, so that would get you around $62 or $63K.

Just a sidenote;
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram diesel truck I bought via COSTCO for $32,000 out the door. Recently went in for the air bag recall. The dealer offered me $35,000 for it. Shortly after I took the truck to Les Schwab for tires. The salesman asked if I might be interested in selling it and offered me $34,000 for it. Truck prices have gone up so much that my used truck is worth more now than when I bought it!

I like the post someone mentioned taking a trip to get your new truck in another state. Combine that with a stop for your new trailer and you can save a bunch! I did that with my LANCE camper. Drove 900+ miles from my home to Tucson, AZ and saved over $5,000 on the camper compared to every other LANCE dealer in CA, NV, OR, ID, WA. The AZ LANCE dealer sent me a e-mailed quote that I sent to every dealer in the states mentioned and asked them to bid. The closest was more than $5,000 over the AZ price. I love my truck and camper! Good luck getting your truck and 5th wheel.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't be afraid to look a Ford or Dodge and use those prices to sway your salesperson. Also a Chevy is exactly the same truck. All NA trucks are good, be ready to buy the best deal.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your ideas and especially on the tip on the dealer in Boise.

The Boise dealer had exactly one dually and it's in the color and options that DH wanted. AND it was $10k below MSRP.

We checked True Car and Costco since we're members but no one could come close to the dealer in Boise so we pulled the trigger.

Put a deposit on it today and for $179 bucks DH is flying to Boise on Monday to pick it up and drive back to Vegas (about 10 hour drive but for a $10k savings very worth it... specially since he's retired and has nothing better to do).
Old 06-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
The Boise dealer had exactly one dually and it's in the color and options that DH wanted. AND it was $10k below MSRP.
Excellent!

Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #14

I bet he will love the drive. they are great over the road trucks.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I just returned from Boise on Monday. Niece was married over the weekend. The dealer picking him up from the airport, right? Of course they are!!

Nice airport there too. If he gets a chance, have him check out the Cabela's while he's there. Lots of stuff for his new truck!! Mats, sun shade, hitch stuff, etc.

The drive is dull though. Dull Dull DULLL!!!!!
What radio does he have in it? CD? Be sure to bring some music he wants to listen to.

Have him ask dealer about break-in on the drive. I'm sure he'll have to change up the speed in order to break in correctly.

If he spends the night, I can recommend Inn America just outside the airport, I mean, you can walk from there to the terminal it's that close. Nice, quiet, new remodel, breakfast etc was $65 for the night. Right next to Motel 6.

Have him check out Dennis Dillon RV there too. Next to the airport, just West. It's a HUGE RV dealership. Worth the look to see what they can do for you guys and a 5th wheel.

You should go along. He could do with the company I'm sure, and if there is an RV at Dillon's you'll want to check it out before he buys it, right?

CONGRATS!!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #16

Great news!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #17

The sooner the internet puts these stealerships out of business, the better!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #18

Now the truck matter is settled. What kind of fifth wheel trailer are you ordering that weighs 16K lbs. That's more weight than most trailers have.

I too am an RV'er, and I bought my new fifth wheel trailer to match the weight carrying capabilities of my 3/4 diesel pickup.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Now the truck matter is settled. What kind of fifth wheel trailer are you ordering that weighs 16K lbs.
From an earlier post:

Quote:
Lol, no need to go quite that big. It's the Cedar Creek 39 footer. Total loaded weight is ~16k so we're looking at a Chevy 3500hd diesel dually. The dually is actually a bit overkill but we'd rather get something that is a little too much in case we decide to full time it and go bigger on the trailer.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #20

Yep, it's the Cedar Creek 36CKTS. About 39 ft, residential fridge, king size bed, dishwasher, 3 slides, fireplace, 46" LCD TV... With the slides out the square footage is bigger than my first apartment. Fully loaded weight is a hair over 16k lbs.

I never was a camping kinda girl; but with this beauty I could park in the woods and never come out. Retirement can't get here soon enough!

« Dad | ER schedule »