Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retire to Hawaii
Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025
Nords - is it all snowboarding, or do they let two-plankers up too? Hmmm, skiing in Hawaii...now that is a trip to be planned!!! Wahoo!
You make your own rules. No lift tickets, no trail markers, no security guards, no trail rescue staff-- but no oxygen either!

Extra bonus points are awarded for snow in the morning and surf in the afternoon...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I bet every commissary & exchange manager lives in daily fear that Wal-Mart or Costco will bid on a nationwide outsourced contract. "Walmissaries" & "Cost-exchanges", anyone?
My father would have welcomed a Wal-Mart to take over his commissary, but they didn't exist at the time. He was in the Army Quartermaster Corps at a really small overseas base between back to back Korean tours, just a bunch of quanset huts. In fact, he was the only Quartermaster guy there so he became commissary officer along with everything else. Commissary officer only meant, here are two quonset huts, keep them stocked with food, and you have to find your own help. He found a stuckee 2 or 3 striper who helped him stock shelfs but the guy was gone half the time for other duty. Surprisingly, that base was accompanied rather than remote. But it was too small for a school, so I went to a boarding school on an Army bus and came home on weekends. Just in time for helping stock shelfs, taking inventory, or washing the floors with no pay, well, my pay was a home cooked dinner

As I'm sure you know, many BXs and Commisaries provide the only nearby food and goods at remote or foreign bases. Whether they need to remain govt run, or could be run better as a concession can be argued for large CONUS bases, but not sure WalMart could staff and operate a quonset hut with food on top of some god forsaken mountain top.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords:

Are the public schools in Oahu good for 7-10 year olds? I've got two boys. Both are very smart like their mother. One very active and athletic (baseball, surfing -- well, TX surfing), one not so athletic but loves the outdoors. What about all that Haole (negative) stuff for the white kids? Is it bad in the public schools?

I've got friends living in Costa Rica, and I would like to try that, but the schools are a little suspect and the town they live in (Nosara) is very small and "jungly" and my wife ain't going for it.

I may be able to talk her into Hawaii............
Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Nords: Are the public schools in Oahu good for 7-10 year olds? I've got two boys. Both are very smart like their mother. One very active and athletic (baseball, surfing -- well, TX surfing), one not so athletic but loves the outdoors.
It's like any other school district. If the parents are involved, the PTA is busy, and the surrounding community isn't struggling too hard with poverty & drugs then you'll be fine. We've been quite happy with Waipio Gentry and Mililani and there are plenty of good public schools in the area. Ewa Beach seems to be producing happy 1st-grade readers at our local tae kwon do dojang. Teachers at Nanakuli & Waianae are struggling with school violence but see my previous comments about poverty & crystal methamphetamine. Of course there are jerk principals & teachers even in the good systems, let alone parents, but we've been able to use them as life lessons for our kid's learning.

I've heard that some kids were a grade behind when they moved to the Mainland, but a shipmate just moved her two kids to San Antonio and they were bored silly their first year in the elementary schools. REW, no adverse comments intended, just an observation that parents tend to criticize the Hawaii school system more than it actually merits.

Quote:
What about all that Haole (negative) stuff for the white kids? Is it bad in the public schools?
Old news, and a proxy for bullying & school violence that would have occurred anyway. My 14-year-old tells me that the words "$%^&ing haole" only come up when someone is looking for an excuse to beat you up in the first place. (If you really want to end racial violence then try to avoid getting between the Tongans & Samoans.) No one race is a majority in Hawaii, although Americans of Japanese Ancestry lead the pack at about 30%, so I personally think it's a lot better than many Mainland locations. My spouse and I feel that her Bronx-raised & DC-area parents were far more racist than anyone we've ever met in the islands.

Quote:
I may be able to talk her into Hawaii............
People tend to either love it or hate it, and the best way to find out is to experience it. Let me know if you want me to PM you more info.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords,

Thanks for the great information on Hawaii. You are always a huge help.

Have you ever traveled to Central or South America in general (Costa Rica specifically), and if so how do those areas compare to Hawaii for someone thinking of moving from the states??

Here are the areas I'm wondering about:
1. Schools-- I was thinking the schools may be better in Hawaii, and obviously have less of a language barrier (we are not fluent in Spanish), but I don't know that for sure.
2. Crime-- I really don't know which one is better. I hear drugs are bad in some parts of Hawaii, but they can be bad here in the states as well. I'm not sure about Central/South America.
3. Real Estate-- Probably much cheaper in Central/South Am.
4. Cost of living-- ditto, I would think.
5. Stable government-- Hawaii, surely.
6. Infrastructure-- Hawaii probably better?

What other important comparisons am I missing?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Nords,
What other important comparisons am I missing?
Culture - will I enjoy the art galleries and museums?
Language - will that DVD rental have English subtitltes (same with movie theaters)?
Dining - do we expect the same range of dining choices as at home?
Financial - will my money continue to go as far as now (inflation and exchange rates trends)?
Investment - can I continue to manage/hold the portfolio choices I have today?
Taxes - will I get credit for any local taxes we pay (i.e. tax treaty)?
Travel - how easy can I get to other places like home and Europe?
Adventure - are there local day trips and parks like we have come to expect?
Charity - can we get involved locally to make our non-financial contributions?
Infrastructure - can we get high speed Internet and Satellite TV in English?

These are some of the issues we are considering regarding moving to Mexico or Uruguay (in addition to your list).