Retirement, an offensive word (newspaper article)

@Katsmeow. Yes you have the gist of her point. OK so what would be a better term to describe what most of us are? Actively retired? I don't know, maybe it would be better to come up with a better term for those that are really over the hill?
Professionally disengaged? :)

The "sheetburner" comment reminded me of the many times I would try to engage my (mostly male) coworkers with some serious discussion, only for the dialogue to be sabatoged by a gratuitous, politically-incorrect response which would leave the others convulsing with laughter and me rolling my eyes in exasperation :rolleyes:. I laughed out loud when I read it. :LOL: Guess I am missing the daily blue-collar banter now that I have been on sabbatical.

Frugalityisthenewblack said:
The "sheetburner" comment reminded me of the many times I would try to engage my (mostly male) coworkers with some serious discussion, only for the dialogue to be sabatoged by a gratuitous, politically-incorrect response which would leave the others convulsing with laughter and me rolling my eyes in exasperation :rolleyes:. I laughed out loud when I read it. :LOL: Guess I am missing the daily blue-collar banter now that I have been on sabbatical.

Well, at least you usually took it in good spirits! Just think what the poor working women of the 70's endured. Some men (unfortunately I was one of them) never grew up and could repeat those type of comments on a daily basis and laugh just as hard as if it was the first time it was said in some variation 20 years ago. At least I had the sense to do it around women who didn't mind and were willing to dish it back.

Too bad there wasen't a comments section on the article (of course, maybe I'm wrong).

I would have refered to this thread on our thoughts on what she wrote and provide some "constructive criticsm" (based upon reality), rather than the BS she thinks needs to be considered as the truth in today's world.

Last edited:
Since the writer of the article helps people to find their next career, I hope she can be instrumental in helping the many 50+ people who have suffered from age discrimination find a new career. If she wants fewer able bodied people to retire, then I suggest helping older people find meaningful, decent paying work, that doesn't require a 25 year old body to do. Now, that would be putting her money where her mouth is.

I was one of those women (1980's, actually). And I got my revenge by time I was 30, at which time some of those jerks had to work for me.

Amethyst

Well, at least you usually took it in good spirits! Just think what the poor working women of the 70's endured. Some men (unfortunately I was one of them) never grew up and could repeat those type of comments on a daily basis and laugh just as hard as if it was the first time it was said in some variation 20 years ago. At least I had the sense to do it around women who didn't mind and were willing to dish it back.

I was one of those women (1980's, actually). And I got my revenge by time I was 30, at which time some of those jerks had to work for me.

Amethyst

I started late 80s, and I stayed (happily) at the journeyman level, one of the reasons I didn't take advancement opportunities is that I thought as difficult as it was sometimes working with certain individuals....having them work FOR me would be worse!

Since the writer of the article helps people to find their next career, I hope she can be instrumental in helping the many 50+ people who have suffered from age discrimination find a new career. If she wants fewer able bodied people to retire, then I suggest helping older people find meaningful, decent paying work, that doesn't require a 25 year old body to do. Now, that would be putting her money where her mouth is.

I'm sure her [-]profit-driven motive[/-] milk-of-human-kindness approach, completely [-]selfish[/-] selfless interest in helping people find work will only lead her to suggest an opening with the highest amount of [-]finder's fee/commission[/-] self gratification and self worth to the employee.

Know what you mean - although it was interesting how some of the former "jerks" adapted quickly, and became excellent employees, once their brains un-fried from the shock of learning that I actually knew stuff.

Amethyst

I started late 80s, and I stayed (happily) at the journeyman level, one of the reasons I didn't take advancement opportunities is that I thought as difficult as it was sometimes working with certain individuals....having them work FOR me would be worse!

Sorry, I don't trust anyone that has trademarked the term "Legacy Careers". She's selling something to all those folks that are afraid they might get bored in retirement. Withdrawing from paid work isn't the same as withdrawing from society and she's being a little disingenuous trying to say it is.

I do agree the term "retirement" as classically defined doesn't fit what most of us are doing. Terms change though and until someone comes up with a better word that isn't trademarked, it will do.

Her point seems to be that when you 'retire' you withdraw and no longer contribute to society.
As far as offensive....that photo.
I think she should have used a photo of Olympia Snowe... or Tina Turner. Or maybe Keith Richards.

When I see a blog post whose photo & chart take up more column inches than the text-- and when they start the post with a Webster's definition-- then I think "high-school journalism assignment".

Personally, these days I'm contributing far more to society than my working days when I was lurking in the North Atlantic ready to destroy the Soviets and Red Chinese with ICBMs.

Personally, these days I'm contributing far more to society than my working days when I was lurking in the North Atlantic ready to destroy the Soviets and Red Chinese with ICBMs.

I don't know about that. It seems me that the presence of those subs probably had a big deterrence effect of some crazy commie leaders starting WW3.

I am quite sure early retirement in post apocalyptic word be very different and any discussion of survival rates would have an entirely different context.

I don't know about that. It seems me that the presence of those subs probably had a big deterrence effect of some crazy commie leaders starting WW3.
I am quite sure early retirement in post apocalyptic word be very different and any discussion of survival rates would have an entirely different context.
I sure hope so. In a weird Dr. Strangelove sort of way, we felt like we were doing an important job!

Of course when you're doing your 120th drill of the patrol at 2:30 AM on a Sunday, you just want to launch everything right now so that you can get a little more sleep before you have to take the morning watch...

This (the article) is another attempt to try to set a definition of a word or term (retire,retired, retirement) back to a previous definition. IMHO, this is a futile exercise once a new meaning of a word has become a common usage. People will use the language and words as they please. Another example is the word "gay". Different times, different meanings, different usage. People are just people.

This (the article) is another attempt to try to set a definition of a word or term (retire,retired, retirement) back to a previous definition. IMHO, this is a futile exercise once a new meaning of a word has become a common usage. People will use the language and words as they please. Another example is the word "gay". Different times, different meanings, different usage. People are just people.
+1

I also think Ms. Taylor looks too young to be burned out on office politics, corporate BS and the rat race of employment yet. She looks young enough to still be in the "eager" stage. In a few years, let's see if she changes her tune.
+1
I bet she will not wright about it. Unless it's a retirement how to book.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom