retirement dreams and reality

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Did anyone have a dream of what retirement would be, and find out after a few months that the dream was not wanted as a major part of life?

I mean: did golf/fishing/traveling/gardening... lose its charms after a year or so?

I am not retired yet... But I have experienced what you are describing. I suspect that it will happen in retirement.

I think it is common to consider you will have certain interests or things that you believe you want to do... only ot find out after you try it that it was not all that it was cracked up to be for one reason or another. For example: back in the 80's I wanted to learn to sail. I read about it for several years. Eventually, I bought a sail boat. I used it for few years and got it out of my system. I sold it. I liked to sail... but did not have time to use the boat as often as I thought I would. I guess I decided that while I enjoyed going for a sail, the expense and chores of boat ownership were not worth it.

I think it is fairly common for people to try things and later decide that some of them are not lifelong hobbies.

That said, it does not diminish the experience of trying and learning new things.

I think it's imossible for dreams or highly anticipated change to fully and permanently live up to the expectation.

Just to keep it fair though, consider the converse: I have found that working full time has also failed, over the past 40 years, to fully live up to my original expectations. ;)

Joss said:
Just to keep it fair though, consider the converse: I have found that working full time has also failed, over the past 40 years, to fully live up to my original expectations. ;)

Ain't that the truth.

I have watched my parents go through phases during their RE. When first retired, Mom was golfing and Dad was volunteering at the Sac Railroad Museum...they had a ball. Interest in those specific activities faded and now he flies his RC airplanes with his fellow cronies, and Mom volunteers as a Braille transcriptionist. They did yoga together for a while ( :LOL: - my father doing YOGA :LOL:) Snowshoeing in the Sierras was one thing they did regularly for a few winters. They basically play all the time - even though their play involves hours and sometimes homework, but as long as they are having fun, that is all that matters! I have faith that retirement gives you the freedom to pursue your interests - and change said interests as time goes by.

Khan said:
Did anyone have a dream of what retirement would be, and find out after a few months that the dream was not wanted as a major part of life?

I mean: did golf/fishing/traveling/gardening... lose its charms after a year or so?
Well traveling certainly never did. We do it on a permanent basis now! The wanderlust just got stronger. Fortunately being retired means that we can indulge it as much as we wish.

We did a lot of sailing before we retired, and I expected us to do even more afterwards. But it turned out that sailing was more about relaxing from work - it really help de-stress me. Once I retired, I didn't need "recreation" as much. So sailing fell by the wayside.

But I picked up other intense hobbies. Things that I could not have pursued had I been working because work wore me out too much (not to mention the time it took).

My theory is that for many, purely recreational activities and past times may not be enough. You may enjoy laying in a pool chair reading a book for hours on vacation, but after several weeks of being retired it may get old. Personally I found myself drawn to challenging activities that has me learning stuff or creating something and the more recreative activities kind of faded to the background.

But then again, there are several on this forum for whom time spent in recreational activities is what they enjoy most about being retired.

So it's different for everyone.

Audrey

I have flower garden. At one time I would read everything about flowers and dream of the day that I could spend more time in my flower garden. While I was still working, I would take days off in order to tend to my flowers at certain times of the year (spring and fall). Now, guess what...I don't care about WORKING in the flower garden anymore. :-\ I hired a lawn service this week for my spring clean up. Work of any kind just doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me any longer. I guess my flowers went from a hobby to a chore. Now, I just like to view my flowers so I guess my NEW hobby with my flowers is now sitting on the deck with a glass of tea and just staring at them. ::)

I wanted to garden when I bought my house. Now I just consider it work. I wanted a motorcycle at one time, but I may feel too vulnerable on one now. I always wanted a horse, but the older I get the more I see the expense, energy, time, and commitment involved, the less sure I am. May just settle for a dude ranch. The more experience you get, the more easily you see both sides.

Back
Top Bottom