Road trip along Gulf coast from FL to TX

I agree, as a veggie, I do equate this practice with keeping laying hens packed so tight that they are unable to move. I equate the practice to penning veal calves up as so they can't turn around. I equate the practice to birthing pens used to immobile sows when giving birth.

"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals."

~Mohandas Gandhi
Unless this turtle is quite a bit bigger than any I have ever seen, he should have more than enough room to turn around in a barrel. Turtles are not exactly dolphins or tuna.

Ha

I disagree. I just drove from Eagle Lake to Sequin on 90A and it was a pleasant change from I-10 and all the truck traffic. (Come to think of it, that's outside of your 20 mile limit no?) Of course, we did encounter a bit of Eagle Ford shale oil patch traffic around Gonzales. We were also able to purchase a big load of pecans in Wharton pecan warehouse.

I like that stretch of U.S. 90, too, Mickey. It's the stretch between Richmond and Crosby that I can't recommend.

Unless this turtle is quite a bit bigger than any I have ever seen, he should have more than enough room to turn around in a barrel. Turtles are not exactly dolphins or tuna.

Ha

Ha, Grasshopper:

I think you guys may be on opposite sides of a hypothetical argument.

Turtles used for food (or as aquarium pets) are predominately raised in man-made ponds. Like catfish farming, it's another form of aquaculture.
TURTLE+FARM.jpg

Speaking of catfish, the OP should be sure to sample some on the trip.

Perhaps you have not seen an alligator snapping turlle. They are fairly common around here and you definitely do not want even a small one to snap you.

Alligator snapping turtle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, definitely have not seen this guy. When I was a boy there were much more modestly sized snapping turtles that cruised around lakes with their heads a bit raised. My relatives dredged them wih flour and deep fried them. And agree, even these smaller ones were treated with great respect.

Ha

Houston itself has some interesting big-city attractions: very good museums, Rockets games, the Williams Tower water wall, etc. The NBA all-star game will be here February 17th, with open-to-the public street parties an a convention center "experience".

I must have had a brain freeze when I wrote this, overlooking the biggest Houston event of the year, the RODEO!

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo runs from Feb 25 - March 16. Like you would for a state fair, plan on spending the whole day. I like to go the week that the 4H and FFA kids from around the state are exhibiting. There is a big midway, lots of commercial exhibits and different animal showings through the day. The rodeo and concert is an all-evening event in the football stadium. Tickets to the show run about $25, which I believe gets you free admission to the livestock show and midway.
Concerts

Houston hotel rooms and RV spots are in short supply during this time, so plan ahead. Parking at the event site is an expensive hassle - plan on taking a bus shuttle or the METRORail train.

Best of all? The food. Chicken-fried bacon, pulled pork sundaes...basically anything the ER.org member could want in the way of fine dining.

If you're in Texas in February, the San Antonio rodeo is couple of week earlier:
Entertainers

Nice and timely thread, as my next RV trip will be along this part of the Gulf Coast. It's just part of the itinerary that will go through [-]Armadillo[/-] Amarillo, TX, and will eventually end up in Anchorage.

I have resisted involvement in this thread because everything I have to offer is RV specific. Do we really want to hijack this (so far) excellent discussion?

(It is one of my favorite parts of the U.S.)

The RV part is just incidental. I just couldn't help bringing in the armadillo from another thread.

Where to eat and what to see are the same for all modes of transportation. Turtle soup and other creole dishes are definitely in my plan.

Perhaps you have not seen an alligator snapping turlle. They are fairly common around here and you definitely do not want even a small one to snap you.

And they move so fast you never hear them coming. You may have heard them referred to as Mach turtles.
:hide:

Just for the record, eating turtles is not just a "southern thing". While dating my DW in South Dakota, she invited me to a "Snapper and Fish-bits Fry". The Snapper was snapping turtle, and the fish bits.....well they were the part left over when you change a bull to a steer. Wasn't told unil AFTER I had sampled them -fortunately they were tasty.

Back
Top Bottom