RV purchases and storage

DW and I had never RV'd, but after she followed me into ER (we were then 54 and 52) we bought a new Roadtrek Class B. Practiced for six months in the Golden State and then left for a year, driving around all 48 lower states and Alaska, plus 10 Canadian Provinces and all the way down through Baja to Cabo San Lucas. Did about 45,000 miles IIRC. Then for the next year we did shorter trips and visited all 58 counties in California.

In our third year we are doing more select trips, often to Vegas (inlaws) and AZ (daughter) and elsewhere around CA. We are planning a ten week trip back east this summer.

It wasn't perhaps a sound financial decision at the outset given the cost and our lack of familiarity with RVing, but it has turned out to be a wonderful experience, and perhaps even brought us closer... even given the close quarters for such extended periods of time.

Like youbet said, Do whatcha wanna do!

Attachments

• IMG_3563.jpg
    IMG_3563.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I can tell from reading this thread, that in so many numerous ways, I am simply not suited for RV ownership! :LOL:

Yep! Whatever someone decides to do with their time and resources, it needs to be what they want to do with their time and resources! Why does the billionaire with resources to do almost anything want to put life and limb at risk and climb a mountain instead of sitting home reading in front of the fireplace? Why does the person who enjoyed world travel for years change and decide that life in the home neighborhood now suites them best? Because we're all different! Isn't it great that FIRE gives us the time and resources to do what we want?

Reactions: W2R
Mattbaxx and Youbet, your camping photos make me breath in deeply and get online to make campsite reservations lickety split. Buying a camper van, motor coach or travel trailer is definitely a lifestyle decision, not a financial one.

Totally agree with the sentiment that if you don't want an RV, don't buy one. The ratio of RVs to campgrounds gets slimmer every year, so why make the problem worse?

If you really want an RV and don’t want a huge one look at the fiberglass “egg” trailers. A few have already been mentioned here. They are solid one/two piece construction with no corners, seams, or rubber roofs to leak. In general they are quite well built, minimal problems and have excellent resale value. Due to the construction method the maximum size is limited. Some of the most poplur brands are: Scamp, Casita, Escape, Bigfoot, Oliver (in order of least to most expensive). Good luck!

We rv’d for 20 years while the kids were babies to late teens with friends and family and the experiences were the absolute best, this was in the mid 80’s to 2005. We upgraded the RV 3 different times during 20 years and the tow rig also, to include buying two brand new Dodge diesels and our last 5th wheel was a top of the line Alpenlite which we bought from a neighbor which was just slightly used.

The good was the memories we had with friends and family, the kids now in their 30’s still talk about the good times!

The bad, it is expensive, from maintenance to purchasing both tow rig and RV. A lot of people buy too big of an RV and tow it with a rig that is not designed to tow the weight, so you are under trucked and over RV’d and you are just asking for problems. Next problem is most community developments do not allow for RV’s parked at your home, so you have to buy storage somewhere, and if you have a 20-30k RV, you probably do not want it sitting in some gravel storage area, we were fortunate to have a nice carport so it was always under cover and plugged in during storage protected from the elements, rain and dampness in our area.

RV vacations were all we did for 20 years while the kids grew up, they went off to college and I moved into a new position with my mega corp company which was more money, more responsibility and a lot less time to RV. We also moved to a new home and had to store the RV off site (not at the house).

We ended up selling RV and tow rig and now hop on an airplane and fly to our destination, which is to Florida or Puerto Rico and board a cruise ship and absolutely LOVE it, 24 cruises since 2007 and counting! I do not regret the RV days, they were great, but at this point in our lives, 1 year from retirement and this fits our lifestyle perfectly. RVing is not cheap, campground reservations are harder to come by and highway traffic is horrible in our part of the country (Seattle area), many things to consider with your decision, good luck!!

Last edited:
My cousin and her husband bought a really big one a few years ago. Used- but fairly new. They have had issues with it and the trailer and even with things like hitting into something when parking at the camp site.

Then there's the issues with trying to get reservations.

They keep the huge ugly thing covered in their driveway.

I look at them as a big hassle and a lot of work- things I don't go on vacations for.

I like our drive to timeshares. Just show up to the condo and enjoy.

Other places we rent and reserve condos at resorts or through Home Away and fly to. Get a rental car and we are golden.

Last edited:
Every summer we spend 2 months in different locations. We find a nice resort type campground in an area with lots to see and do, then pay by the month (cheaper rates that way...usually it works out to $20 per day on avg) and make that our home base. We leave the RV and travel out. If we wander too far, we get a motel and then return. It allows us to stay gone much longer this way.

Hitting things while parking can't really be blamed on the RV. I tried that and DW shot me down. :)

I know- but driving one is certainly a challenge and needs to be factored into the equation.

Hitting things while parking can't really be blamed on the RV. I tried that and DW shot me down. :)

Clearly hitting things while parking are to be blamed on DW. I thought that was a law. :LOL:

RV Storage

We stored our RV at the local county fairgrounds. Inside. Reasonably priced and good security.

DW and I had never RV'd, but after she followed me into ER (we were then 54 and 52) we bought a new Roadtrek Class B.

DW and I have discussed RVing to parks. We like to tent camp but like the option of having something more "solid". It looks fun, but we do not think we have what it takes to own an RV. However, the class Bs look like something either of us could drive, so we may look at renting a couple of times this year to see what they are like.

DW and I have discussed RVing to parks. We like to tent camp but like the option of having something more "solid". It looks fun, but we do not think we have what it takes to own an RV. However, the class Bs look like something either of us could drive, so we may look at renting a couple of times this year to see what they are like.

There is a lot of advantage to having a real bed to sleep in, and to being able to escape the bad weather inside vs a tent. Just beware a class B is pretty small inside, whereas a little larger class C is much bigger and not that much harder to drive.

We stored our RV at the local county fairgrounds. Inside. Reasonably priced and good security.

I wish I had that option! Where I live most RV storage lots are either full with a long waiting list to get in (plus $100.+ a month) or are simply unprotected dirt lot's with junky old RV's parked haphazardly. The thought of buying a nice new RV and parking it in a place I'm not comfortable with is part of the problem.

If I was lucky enough to have RV parking at my house I'd be more then willing to deal with maintenance issues of an RV. The two together is what I'm having problems with.

The thought of buying a nice new RV and parking it in a place I'm not comfortable with is part of the problem...………………. ….. deal with maintenance issues of an RV.

Lots of folks are avoiding commenting on the subject directly, so I'll go right to the point. It just doesn't sound like RV'ing/camping would be a good path for you to chose Drake3287.

Similar to getting involved in boating, flying, performance cars or other involved hobbies, buying an RV involves assuming some expense, taking on some maintenance chores and going through a learning curve. It's really not for everyone. Your location and its storage difficulties just amplifies the problem.

Your posts haven't mentioned much about what is calling you to give RV'ing/camping/outdoor activities a try. Unless you can think of some "pros" to balance the ledger with, why not just take a pass on RV'ing and wade into some alternative activity?

Last edited:
Unless you can think of some "pros" to balance the ledger with, why not just take a pass on RV'ing and wade into some alternative activity?

+1

I understand all the necessary equipment is furnished, including maintenance, if you'd like to take up skydiving. :)

We were about to buy a new 25 foot Airstream. Already had a tow vehicle. Had never camped before. Decided to drive to Columbus, Ohio to rent an Airstream first. We rented for a week and drove it over 1000 miles stopping in three campgrounds. We loved it. We even went to the Airstream factory in Ohio to watch them being made. We liked the campground locations, the ability to sleep "in your own" bed, friendliness of fellow campers and not having to pack and unpack each time you moved from place to place.

Then we got to the issues of ownership - maintenance, storage, other travel (we like to go to Europe twice per year)...and decided the rental route was the best option for us. At best we would use it three weeks per year and despite our love of Airstreams common sense finally won out. We concluded that this would be another toy that spent too much time in the toy box.

Lots of folks are avoiding commenting on the subject directly, so I'll go right to the point. It just doesn't sound like RV'ing/camping would be a good path for you to chose Drake3287.
A lot of state parks rent cabins or yurts now. It is a way to be in the park but not have to deal with a tent or RV.

As a result of our plan to purchase a travel trailer (already own a tow vehicle), we are now looking for a new home since our current (fully renovated in 2013) home does not have enough room to build the mac-daddy garage to house the RV. Only problem is DH does not want a used model, but I'll forgive him since I'm thrilled we're getting a RV! Like others have said, it's a personal choice! Sorry to the RV owners on this board - another reservation taker is coming in soon!

Definitely an eye opener after following a few different RV Facebook groups and talking with friends. I owned a tent trailer for years but of course that's a whole different trailer.

In my case I'd have to rent a place to store it for $100. a month around here. Add 10 years of that plus nearly $35,000. out the door for a nice trailer plus gear and I'm looking at $50,000. for 10 years of use. That same $50,000. will buy 25 nights a year at a nice hotel for 10 years.

Of course there's also big RV Show this weekend, wish me luck!

I use my motorhome to visit places where there are no hotels. I would not use it to go to NYC, Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco for example. Generally, RV'ing makes more sense out here in the open West, or to go to Nova Scotia, the Yukon, and Alaska. I have RV'ed to these places, but still want to come back.

I currently have a class C, but always think I will downshift to a class B when I get older. The new breed of class B's based on larger chassis with dually rear wheels appeals to me. They are costly, but when I get to the point where I either spend the money or stay home, I think I will "blow some dough". If my wife does not like it she can stay home (but I seriously doubt that she would :) ).

Last edited:
I am so glad that you RV'ers are having fun traveling in your RV's!! And if you can afford it, then so what about the cost. After all, that is what you worked for so long for all those years; to be able to Blow That Dough on something that will make your retirement years the best they can possibly be. Have a ball!

I'm just glad that I don't have to do it, since I am not suited for RV life and think it sounds awful. But as far as I know, nobody has put a gun to anybody's head and told them they HAVE to buy an RV and travel in it. I am so happy right here in my Dream Home, where everything is exactly as I want it to be and right next door to my very best friend ever; I am enjoying my little version of heaven on earth so much. Below is my back yard and a corner of my detached garage, as seen from my easy chair in my Dream Home (OK, photo taken three years ago but it hasn't changed). So idyllic.

Attachments

• back lawn 03_21_2016.jpg
    back lawn 03_21_2016.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 63
So many people buy new and don’t like it and sell so you can get used ones that are really nice and cheaper. I enjoy it for short periods of time but a month is my limit. We also found last summer it was much cheaper to take the car and stay in motels than to use the RV. We had 3 dogs and one was 80lbs so I booked the whole month in advance so I knew we had somewhere to stay. Many Airbnb and hotel chains are now dog friendly.

We're very fortunate to have a lake house across town from us to spend most Summer weekends at--and to have the fabulous Tennessee River and two lakes in the middle of our city. But we also keep a fifth wheel trailer with 4 slides sitting in the Blue Ridge Mountains an hour from the edge of Atlanta. We use it a couple of weeks in Summer and weekends in Spring and Fall.

Our RV is our mountain residence, as we have the Appalachian Trail on the 4500' mountain across the street. We're in a member owned campground with incredible facilities including 2 pools, tennis courts and a common house that's 50' x 125' with 40' ceilings. North Georgia is incredibly beautiful--like the Smokey Mountain National Park without all the tourists.

Total cost for the campground is $450 yearly dues plus $325 a year storage in locked, guarded lots. And it's $1 a day "rent." So our keeping the RV there is not a big financial drain. We love camping because our grandkids have the run our campground with complete freedom, and they always find friends to hang out with. We don't mind having electricity, hookups, WIFI and cable television either--roughing it.

Back
Top Bottom