Silly Frugality?

i can't stand to throw out food. If I have soft apples, i make applesauce, if I have soft veggies, I throw them in a refrigerator brine and now I have pickled vegetables, I cut out blemishes, etc etc. If its spoiled, it gets thrown out, but there is a lot of food that can be salvaged without ruining the taste, especially if used in stews and hot dishes.

I don't do this because I'm frugal, I do this because I know how much food waste there is, how much pollution is created to ship it to me, how there are people out there that could use it, so my throwing it out would just make me feel guilty.

To me silly frugality is wearing socks with holes in them when you don't need to. Sure go ahead and use the sock for a dust cloth, but stop wearing them.

I wear the same wardrobe I wore in highschool;
levi 501 shrink-to-fit (same size too! 34 waist 36 length)
white crew neck T-shirt
white tube socks
Bates Floaters (suede)

I've discovered I can sell the worn out jeans for as much as new ones cost me, on eBay.

I snitch eggs from the neighbor's hens next door.
I recycle my halloween pumpkin into pie. If I don't cut a face in it, but rather paint one on, I'll toss some yeast and water into the hollowed out thing and make some pumpkin jack.
I stopped my trash pick up service. I get up before dawn on trash day and find room in neighbors cans and put mine in with theirs.
No matter what meat I have for left over, I add a packet of stroganoff seasoning to it in a cast iron skillet and cook up some rice, then slather it over the rice. It's always good.
I always clothes line dry my laundry. I like how stiff the towels are.
If I'm out and about around dinner time, I'll check out the complimentary grub at the nearest hotel. Most, if not all, offer some sort of delectable; pizza, hamburgers grilled by the pool, hot dogs, wings. Soft drinks are often included. Rarely am I up for breakfast but the breakfasts are pretty easy to poach too. I learned this while on the road for work; no one ever checks to see if you are a guest or signed up for what ever conference or other event is taking place.
I'm scamming my neighbor's wifi right now as I'm replying to this thread.
I let my dog lick my dishes clean and save on the dishwashing. (just checking to see if you are still reading this...)

Last edited:
^skipro33 Read the whole thing. Taking stuff without permission is theft, so the eggs, trash, grub, and wifi examples are things I wouldn't do.

^skipro33 Read the whole thing. Taking stuff without permission is theft, so the eggs, trash, grub, and wifi examples are things I wouldn't do.
Me either, but I do let the dog lick the dishes clean.

i can't stand to throw out food. If I have soft apples, i make applesauce, if I have soft veggies, I throw them in a refrigerator brine and now I have pickled vegetables, I cut out blemishes, etc etc. If its spoiled, it gets thrown out, but there is a lot of food that can be salvaged without ruining the taste, especially if used in stews and hot dishes.

I don't do this because I'm frugal, I do this because I know how much food waste there is, how much pollution is created to ship it to me, how there are people out there that could use it, so my throwing it out would just make me feel guilty.

To me silly frugality is wearing socks with holes in them when you don't need to. Sure go ahead and use the sock for a dust cloth, but stop wearing them.

I just turn them over, as my get holes on the bottom.
I suppose when I go over to relatives houses and take off my shoes, that explains why nobody has hit me up for a loan :LOL:

DW (and this forum) did convince me to toss my 10 pairs of holy socks, and open a new package of socks I already had in the wrapper. :flowers:

SecondCor521. Nice verse.
But I think you see a mote...
Matt7:5

SecondCor521 said:
I travel occasionally and every time I go into the hotel room I immediately take all of the soap, shampoo, and conditioner (except one that I use) and put those in my backpack. If I'm there multiple days, I'll make sure to keep using the one soap and shampoo from the first day and stash any additional extras the housekeeping service refreshes me with. I do the same thing with the tea and coffee bags.

Last edited:
I don't understand how people can't finish a restaurant meal, unless it's those chain restaurant meals that are mostly pasta or fries. We don't eat out often, and we go hungry to good restaurants and eat every scrap. We're not typically what you'd call big eaters, either. It just isn't that much food.

I darn them first. I discard them when the holes get holes.

+1000

I see it as avoiding unnecessary brake wear. Same with looking ahead and planning turns on curvy roads, so you are not that guy/gal who rides their brakes around every turn.

Now always coasting my car down the hill we live on might cross the line into silly territory.

I don't understand how people can't finish a restaurant meal, unless it's those chain restaurant meals that are mostly pasta or fries. We don't eat out often, and we go hungry to good restaurants and eat every scrap. We're not typically what you'd call big eaters, either. It just isn't that much food.

It is to me. Usually can’t finish.

Or sew up the holes.

I snitch eggs from the neighbor's hens next door.

I stopped my trash pick up service. I get up before dawn on trash day and find room in neighbors cans and put mine in with theirs.

If I'm out and about around dinner time, I'll check out the complimentary grub at the nearest hotel.

I'm scamming my neighbor's wifi right now as I'm replying to this thread.

Theft is not the same as frugality.

SecondCor521. Nice verse.
But I think you see a mote...
Matt7:5

Thanks, but it's not mine.

You make a reasonable point. Next time I'm at a hotel I'll try to remember to ask permission to take the items mentioned in my quote. I had generally assumed it was OK but have never formally asked.

Cheers.

I thought I was frugal with heat - 69 during the day and 66 at night, but some here are more so. Ha ha.
I do many of the same things others have noted: purposefully make large pots of soups and stews to have leftovers , turn bottles upside down, reuse plastic bags, etc.

I did notice that no one conserves water (as well as soap and shampoo) by taking fewer showers. If you have really not done much on a day except read or hang out here on line, how dirty can you be? Also, they say its better for your skin and hair not to shower everyday. Daily showers are a modern thing anyways.

No showering licking dishes no heat. Man why exactly did we save all this money for? I can't remember

Ok but I'd prefer no to smell or freeze while I'm doing it. Depending on the meal I might lick my plate if my wife isn't looking. She frowns on plate licking. I can use my finger & just get a dirty look or an eye roll. I can live with that.

Back
Top Bottom