Social interaction after ER?

I don't contribute much to that forum at all, though. I'm not sure why - - maybe they are too serious for me. They never even mention bacon or dryer sheets. :angel:
Their posters probably live in fear of their moderators!

It's quite the set of community rules over there.

Their posters probably live in fear of their moderators!

It's quite the set of community rules over there.

Yes, it's like 1st grade. You have to tippy toe around all sorts of issues that you can discuss here without any trouble. Threads get locked at the drop of a hat. It's too bad because there are a lot of very smart people there and one could have a more enjoyable experience if the mods weren't so anal. Don't even ask questions that they disapprove of because a host of self righteous know it alls will reply with belittling answers. It discourages people from posting especially newbies. :mad:

I think we could be more even handed about the BH site. I agree with some of the criticism, but to be fair that site has a huge audience. Right now there are 238 people on the site and of those there are 212 "guests". New people quite often get the BH religion and become too zealous. Also many new posters haven't bothered to use search to see if there questions or topics have been discussed a lot before.

If I get annoyed at the BH site I'll just go to read only mode. There are so many threads that the good ones tend to get lost in the stupid ones pushing threads off the first page screen. Still there are some good thoughts at times but as in any internet sites there are a lot of posts each of us would rather not see.

I think we could be more even handed about the BH site. I agree with some of the criticism, but to be fair that site has a huge audience. Right now there are 238 people on the site and of those there are 212 "guests"...

Pfft, amateurs--right now e-r.org has 85 members and 469 guests; right now BH has 22 registered, 5 hidden and 167 guests.:LOL:

I registered at Bogleheads about a year ago but I have posted less than 10 times there. The interaction is very different from here. I feel more comfortable here.
I don't contribute much to that forum at all, though. I'm not sure why - - maybe they are too serious for me. They never even mention bacon or dryer sheets. :angel:

Yes, it's like 1st grade. You have to tippy toe around all sorts of issues that you can discuss here without any trouble. Threads get locked at the drop of a hat. It's too bad because there are a lot of very smart people there and one could have a more enjoyable experience if the mods weren't so anal. Don't even ask questions that they disapprove of because a host of self righteous know it alls will reply with belittling answers. It discourages people from posting especially newbies. :mad:
I'd give 'em a break.

When that group was the Vanguard Diehards over at M*, H0cu$ joined the board one day and started spouting his spew. M*'s moderators got a number of warnings from people who'd seen H do his thing at other financial discussion boards (including killing two of them), but M* basically ignored the whole controversy until [-]the traffic sold a record number of banner ads[/-] the membership had gone well past all five stages.

So a bunch of VDs decamped to start up BH, and suddenly M* realized they needed to do some damage control. As part of the fuss, BH decided that strong moderation was going to be a vital component of the board.

Another big difference between the two discussion boards is that the BH focus is on investing, not so much on retirement. Unfortunately some of their dogs are so good at chasing cars that they never know what to do when they run right past the car, let alone manage to catch it.

Besides where else are you going to be able to interrogate Bernstein, Swedroe, and Ferri? I don't think the first two are posting there any more but back in the day it was quite interesting.

Last edited:
...(snip)
Another big difference between the two discussion boards is that the BH focus is on investing, not so much on retirement. Unfortunately some of their dogs are so good at chasing cars that they never know what to do when they run right past the car, let alone manage to catch it.
When I was a kid my dog used to run after cars, he'd get ahead of them and bark looking backwards ... and that was going uphill.
Besides where else are you going to be able to interrogate Bernstein, Swedroe, and Ferri? I don't think the first two are posting there any more but back in the day it was quite interesting.
Bernstein posts on occasion as "wbern" which you can find with a search. Swedroe occasionally posts too.

Actually all three still post there, at least occasionally. I have been away from the BH board for a while too, but I go back fairly often. There's a ton of good information in there if you can separate the wheat from the chaff. But I can only take it in smallish doses.

Bernstein posts on occasion as "wbern" which you can find with a search. Swedroe occasionally posts too.
That's good to hear. A few years ago Bernstein actually stopped posting for a while (on advice of his lawyer?!?). Swedroe also once took a protracted posting vacation after he got pretty badly beaten up by the other BHs over some errors in an article that turned out to be written mostly by one of his staff.

Here's a moldy golden oldie:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/newsflash-bernstein-slams-early-retirement-18019.html

I'd give 'em a break.

When that group was the Vanguard Diehards over at M*, H0cu$ joined the board one day and started spouting his spew. M*'s moderators got a number of warnings from people who'd seen H do his thing at other financial discussion boards (including killing two of them), but M* basically ignored the whole controversy until [-]the traffic sold a record number of banner ads[/-] the membership had gone well past all five stages.

So a bunch of VDs decamped to start up BH, and suddenly M* realized they needed to do some damage control. As part of the fuss, BH decided that strong moderation was going to be a vital component of the board.

Thanks Nords. Yeah I was a bit heavy handed but some of it was sarcasm. Larry still posts though he did leave for a while after fighting with Rick. It is a very different place than here, I like both but I like here better. As I said, I seldom post there because I am tired of being whacked around.

Forums like this one probably serve as a surrogate for social interaction for many.
Yes, I noticed how the topic of social interaction morphed into discussion of various online forums.

Ha

DW only does email online (and travel booking) whereas I have 6 boards that I visit every day. She spends much of the day talking on the phone. I would say that most of my social interaction is online with only occasional face-to-face activity, maybe twice a week.

Yes, I noticed how the topic of social interaction morphed into discussion of various online forums.
For me, forums are all the "social interaction" I can stand. It's natural that they are considered in the same subject area from my POV.

For me, forums are all the "social interaction" I can stand. It's natural that they are considered in the same subject area from my POV.

I want a little more of a social life than forums, but agree they're in the same subject area.

Back
Top Bottom