Social interaction after ER?

This thread seems to translate to "Hooray, now I'm retired I don't have to see any more people."

That reminds me of something I said to a friend on the back porch (after several glasses of wine) a few years after retiring "... and one of the things I liked about computer forensics was that I didn't have to deal with so many damn people!"

Characteristic of the ISTJ/INTJ.

All of this is why Golf is such a great game - it's time spent together but not...together!

+1. I sometimes join ladies day for golf and the club just slot those who sign up and we end up playing around 4 hours with strangers and yet have a great time. That's the kind of social interaction I like. Most of them are likely not to end up as close friends but a few will be golf buddies.

This thread seems to translate to "Hooray, now I'm retired I don't have to see any more people."

Ha

I guess I fall into the "Reluctant Introvert" category...

Being new (60 days) to this "retirement" thing... I first busied myself with tons of household projects. These projects were mostly solo & I didn't miss people at all. Now, however, the projects have wound down. Okay, not in the number of projects (there's always something I could be doing) as much as my motivation to tackle them all right away. With that, brought increased idle time and me becoming more aware of my introversion.

Without family of my own or siblings nearby... and my closest friend unenthusiastically planning a move for his career in the next 12mo... I am coming to grips with the fact that my tenuous support structure is crumbling.

This was made alarmingly clear as I started to update my will.
I suddenly became reminded...

A, of my own mortality... and
B, just how few meaningful connections I had to the outside world...

Now I just have to decide what I want to do about it...
Nothing... Volunteer... Social Groups... Move closer to family... Date (sigh)...

Options abound... but I fear that my desire to have meaningful relationships conflict with a general distaste I have for people. :facepalm:

...(snip)...
Now I just have to decide what I want to do about it...
Nothing... Volunteer... Social Groups... Move closer to family... Date (sigh)...

Options abound... but I fear that my desire to have meaningful relationships conflict with a general distaste I have for people. :facepalm:
Maybe take baby steps towards this sort of thing? Although I'll admit that fear of rejection in even modest social encounters can be a scary thing. I haven't dated anyone in over 40 years so that would be really scary.

Fixed it for you :) I love seeing and talking to people. I just don't care to be in a position where they are entitled to judge me and tell me what to do.

This thread seems to translate to "Hooray, now I'm retired I don't have to [-]see [/-]suck up to any more people."

Ha

Still, I worry when I see longevity studies. They usually conclude that having a large circle of friends contributes to a long life.
Those studies were conducted by extroverts who see no reason to retire.

On a more serious note, I don't think that any of those studies have been able to study the trend of Internet social networks. I'm not talking about a large circle of Facebook friends, but rather 3-4 people who you feel you've come to know well, perhaps even met in person, but with whom you interact mostly over this sort of forum.

I haven't dated anyone in over 40 years so that would be really scary.
My spouse says she'd make that really scary for me, too...

We hear ya. While my wife is more extroverted than I, she has become less tolerant of certain types of people, you know, excessive gossips, overly negative people, know it all's (me excepted, of course:LOL:). We have a little of your dual personality thing going on too.

On a more serious note, I don't think that any of those studies have been able to study the trend of Internet social networks. I'm not talking about a large circle of Facebook friends, but rather 3-4 people who you feel you've come to know well, perhaps even met in person, but with whom you interact mostly over this sort of forum.

We actually keep in contact through Facebook with many of our friends we've met in Jamaica, even visited with a few on our travels, but it doesn't replace the week we spend together once a year. It's fun to keep up with what they are doing and chat once in a while, but its just not the same. It helps and it's better than nothing, but its not as rich or meaningful.

I used to frequent a cigar forum. I had even become "friends" with some of the regulars. A get together was planned and I committed to travel across the country to go. I even volunteered to help set the thing up. A few PMs later the other guys I was planning this with just stopped communicating. I went on the trip since this gathering wasn't the only purpose. Once I got back, still no communication despite repeated attempts. I was really upset by that. I thought they were my "friends".

It's so much easier to blow people off if you've never met them and have a superficial relationship online. How many people on here just stop posting, even after months or years. You'd rarely do that to a real friend. You just wouldn't stop calling and avoid them for no reason, but online it's pretty common. There is a danger in getting too involved with people you don't know online. Its not the same as in person.

Of course, most of you are fine human beings, salt of the earth.:D

It's so much easier to blow people off if you've never met them and have a superficial relationship online. How many people on here just stop posting, even after months or years. You'd rarely do that to a real friend. You just wouldn't stop calling and avoid them for no reason, but online it's pretty common. There is a danger in getting too involved with people you don't know online. Its not the same as in person.

I really do see what you mean, but there are several things on this board at least that may make it more attractive to just do a swan dive, should someone want to leave. A lot of smart ass comments, especially if the leaver is angry or feeling slighted and he expresses that in his farewell. What are his choices? He can say bye, I love you all very much and this board is the best meat in the deli, but if angry, how many of us would feel great about doing that? He could give his true reasons for leaving, and maybe hurt some feelings and maybe get some unpleasant blowback. Or he can just ride off into the sunset.

If I get a chance to meet board members that I feel drawn to I try to do that, but I don't travel away from here very often! I have liked very much everyone I have met, and felt an immediate affinity with them.

Ha

Bwah hah hah! Never thought of it that way :duh:

You mean, there will be consequences if I fail to take forum members seriously:confused: :eek:

And yet, you post here? :facepalm:

What are his choices?
I find the "ignore" option works well in this area :D ...

PS: I did leave the forum years ago, but came back, after I found this feature. Too bad the BH forum does not have the ignore function, or I would still post there.

I find the "ignore" option works well in this area :D ...

PS: I did leave the forum years ago, but came back, after I found this feature. Too bad the BH forum does not have the ignore function, or I would still post there.
For the Bogleheads forum (BH?), nowadays I try to keep my posts as terse as possible. Kind of like math where it's all in the equation. It then feels like I've not expended too much energy with replies. Several times I've felt that my contribution was completely ignored even though it was very much on topic and substantive. BH threads do tend to get caught up in minutia and some posters have a problem with their "economic religious" views IMO. Still I've appreciated the different points of view and have got many good ideas there.

ENFP, I'm pretty sure that getting rid of work will only increase my ability to spend time with my friends, the hours I have to spend at the office are the biggest impediment to my social life already. :)

...(snip)...
I used to frequent a cigar forum. I had even become "friends" with some of the regulars. A get together was planned and I committed to travel across the country to go. I even volunteered to help set the thing up. A few PMs later the other guys I was planning this with just stopped communicating. I went on the trip since this gathering wasn't the only purpose. Once I got back, still no communication despite repeated attempts. I was really upset by that. I thought they were my "friends".

That cigar forum story was poignant (my day for big words :) ).

I guess the fact that most people do not use their names says something about their desire for a strong personal relationship. Having seen falling outs on the web between highly intelligent people who should know better, maybe that anonymity is a good thing. Maybe we should come to see these exchanges as allowing people to express themselves more fully without the barrier of being too nice. Of course, you should still observe reasonable etiquette.

Maybe there is a little pepper mixed in with that salt (of the earth).

I find the "ignore" option works well in this area :D

I have found use for the ignore feature myself.

That cigar forum story was poignant (my day for big words :) ).

I guess the fact that most people do not use their names says something about their desire for a strong personal relationship. Having seen falling outs on the web between highly intelligent people who should know better, maybe that anonymity is a good thing. Maybe we should come to see these exchanges as allowing people to express themselves more fully without the barrier of being too nice. Of course, you should still observe reasonable etiquette.

I try to take my activity for what it is now. We are friendly, but probably not friends for the most part. We discuss issues on a certain topic, but anything beyond our like-minded interesting in ER, for instance, is probably not there. Not that the people aren't good people or that we might become friends if we met, but retain a do certain anonymity. In many cases, we may not want more than casual discussion.

We moved three years ago to a new state and immediately joined lots of art groups, gardening groups, etc. Within months we had lots of new friends. You do have to make an effort though. I would suggest not joining art or hobby groups that just meet and watch a presentation; join a group that has workshops and hands-on study groups at alternating houses. I find that's when you really get to know the other members as you sit down to either a bag lunch or pot luck during the breaks. Some ideas if you are not a painter: book arts (making hand-made journals, either blank or artsy); calligraphy; beading; quilting, etc. Some of these groups will get together and make things for charity or to send to the troops overseas etc., and that's where true friendships are made.

For the Bogleheads forum (BH?), nowadays I try to keep my posts as terse as possible. Kind of like math where it's all in the equation. It then feels like I've not expended too much energy with replies. Several times I've felt that my contribution was completely ignored even though it was very much on topic and substantive. BH threads do tend to get caught up in minutia and some posters have a problem with their "economic religious" views IMO. Still I've appreciated the different points of view and have got many good ideas there.

Man you got that right! Anything I post gets ignored or belittled. I'm pretty tired of it and just read seldom posting anymore.

rescueme
Too bad the BH forum does not have the ignore function, or I would still post there.
That's a shame, I always enjoyed your posts and I noticed you have been absent for a while. I thought you had a lot to offer.

Like Veremchuka says, many at Bogleheads are there to talk, not listen.

I find it very difficult to use the ancient software, too.

Like Veremchuka says, many at Bogleheads are there to talk, not listen.
That is likely why I never go there. I got my fill of know-it-alls at work, and if I feel the need, I can always ask my female companion!:LOL:

That is likely why I never go there. I got my fill of know-it-alls at work, and if I feel the need, I can always ask my female companion!:LOL:
If she were truly a know-it-all, you wouldn't have to ask her. :)

Ha

I like Bogleheads. I learned a lot about investing over there.

I don't contribute much to that forum at all, though. I'm not sure why - - maybe they are too serious for me. They never even mention bacon or dryer sheets. :angel:

I like Bogleheads. I learned a lot about investing over there.

I don't contribute much to that forum at all, though. I'm not sure why - - maybe they are too serious for me. They never even mention bacon or dryer sheets. :angel:

Maybe we should launch an attack - bacon, dryer sheets, jokes, pictures of our pets, badgers, and what we did today. That'll teach 'em;)

I have been posting on Bogleheads for about as long as I have been posting here. I don't post there very often unless a rare thread piques my interest, maybe one thread in every 20 or so.

Maybe we should launch an attack - bacon, dryer sheets, jokes, pictures of our pets, badgers, and what we did today. That'll teach 'em;)

Yeah! :LOL: And don't forget youtubes of great songs we remember. Then we'd probably post more over there. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom