Sunday Night Terrors

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired August 30 and can honestly say I love it. However, I still find myself waking up (later) on Sunday mornings and thinking "oh geez, it's Sunday, and I have to get X, Y & Z done today because I won't have time to get it done in the coming days." Then reality hits and I remember I will have time to do whatever Monday thru Friday, if I want. That feeling passes over me several times each Sunday - I'll be glad when it stops. Or will it?

Anyone else?

That feeling passes over me several times each Sunday - I'll be glad when it stops. Or will it?

Anyone else?

Yes it stops, quickly for some and not so quick for others. But eventually it stops.

When we first retired we used to gleefully watch the traffic reports.

You'll be fine. I sometimes watch 60 Minutes on Sunday nights. That damn "tick - tick - tick" used to strike terror in my soul. About 16 months into retirement, it is now a soothing sound as I now know the stores will be less crowded and I can head out after the insanity of rush hour. Tomorrow, we're going to Bass Pro Shops. DW likes the clothes and footwear and I need to gear up for hunting season ( and I hunt on a private club - weekdays only- where everyone else has a j0b and hunts mostly F evening - S - S).

You'll be fine. I sometimes watch 60 Minutes on Sunday nights. That damn "tick - tick - tick" used to strike terror in my soul. About 16 months into retirement, it is now a soothing sound as I now know the stores will be less crowded and I can head out after the insanity of rush hour. Tomorrow, we're going to Bass Pro Shops. DW likes the clothes and footwear and I need to gear up for hunting season ( and I hunt on a private club - weekdays only- where everyone else has a j0b and hunts mostly F evening - S - S).

Exactly. 60 minutes is the litmus test. When you can hear that ticking without it inducing at least a low level of anxiety, you’ll know you are over the work “trauma”.

Funny, I posted this as I was 12 minutes into watching 60 Minutes.

Funny, I posted this as I was 12 minutes into watching 60 Minutes.

See? It's starting to work already! I'm not advocating 60 Minutes, but I think it's less political than most news (but not completely by any means). But also,use that clock sound to remind yourself why you retired. Our time on this rock is fixed, unknown, and relentless. Relish your freedom and let your mind contemplate the unbridled bliss of a Monday morning completely unstructured.

Yes it stops, quickly for some and not so quick for others. But eventually it stops.

When we first retired we used to gleefully watch the traffic reports.
We still do, except the reports are for LA county and points east. We are in Ventura, north of LA.
They have as much meaning for us as when we watched the news on Kauai, and the traffic report was for Honolulu.

Sunday Night Terrors is what caused me to bail. I remember I used to get them when I was in school. Then i had dreams once per month or so for over a year. My TPS report was due in the morning and I couldn’t get to the end of the report. No more.

No issue for me after I retired, but definitely before retirement.
Eventually you will feel like my sig line.

I have not been watching 60 minutes so that’s why I don’t feel the terrors.

My brother who retired just ahead of me said the first thing to leave is Sunday night anxiety.

Oh, it's Sunday? Oh good, shops will be empty again tomorrow.

My phone keeps reminding me tomorrow is Monday and I don't have any appointments! Ha haha I don't have any appointments! Yeah for me. [emoji12]

I know not of these terrors of which you speak. There is nothing that cannot be done later.

It's been 10 years since I quit MegaCorp and I still have dreams (nightmares?) where a couple of my old bosses show up. They aren't all bad dreams, but annoying just the same.

I don't have the Sunday night depression I used to have, though. That went away pretty quick. I do remember hating Sunday nights back when I worked. Seemed to love Thursday nights, for some reason. Fridays around noon I was really happy. Saturday too. Then came Sunday....

Exactly. 60 minutes is the litmus test. When you can hear that ticking without it inducing at least a low level of anxiety, you’ll know you are over the work “trauma”.

I hated the 60 minutes clock, even in my old school days.

When I FIRE'd, I immediately lost the Sunday dread. Unfortunately, w*rk nightmares dogged me for almost 3 years. Took an epic road trip to finally clear my head. All's great now!

Looking forward to tomorrow, Monday. Finally somewhat sunny and warm after days of clouds and rain. Time to get out in a boat or bike, without any crowds. We don't do much on the weekends now except social stuff and church. Too many crowds...

First, I never had Sunday night terrors...

Second, if I have something to do I find that I can keep putting it off as I can do it 'any day I want'.... but find I do not want!!! DW hates that I can be really lazy at times... she always wants everything done NOW...

Since I RE'd, every day is Saturday.

I was out somewhere recently when somebody mentioned, “ugh, it’s Monday.” I had to quickly suppress my initial reaction to blurt out, “Really? I had no idea,” which, of course, wouldn’t have been very nice to say to someone still working.

SumDay: yep, me too. DW and I were commenting on that last night, and we had to remind ourselves to settle down, Monday is another sleep in day. :)

I'm actually struggling with w*rk dreams and nightmares. I keep having a dream about an impossible deadline. Another weird thing is my deceased father of a few years keeps showing up in my dreams. I was so busy at w*rk when he passed, I'm wondering if I'm still sorting out my feelings about that now that my brain has time to wander.

I'm actually struggling with w*rk dreams and nightmares. I keep having a dream about an impossible deadline. Another weird thing is my deceased father of a few years keeps showing up in my dreams. I was so busy at w*rk when he passed, I'm wondering if I'm still sorting out my feelings about that now that my brain has time to wander.

Yes, and expect this to continue for a while, though they will decrease in frequency.

I never had nightmares, only that I was still working. But it was always in a weird way, like, why am I still here I'm retired? And never with stress or deadlines, just in the buildings, with the people.

I've had a number of "w*rk" dreams. Not usually very realistic, but with some w*rk people and places. I think my boss was in a dream I had just last night.

But work dreams, good and bad, have really subsided a lot after over 2-1/2 years. It wasn't that long ago I was still having nightmares about being in middle school and late for class, having forgotten which class was next on my schedule. Apparently the fear of doing that had traumatized me when I transitioned from elementary school!

2 1/2 years into retirement (which at times amazes me),

I'm used to it now, but I never take it for granted. DW and I look at each other and smile, and say things like "aren't we lucky?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom