Tellico Village - Anyone Out There?

gslctucker

Confused about dryer sheets
Hopefully quitting the Rat Race this year and have been looking at Tellico Village as a retirement option. Any real time Villagers out there that could give a first hand picture of life in TV?
We are 58 and 54, how's that compare to the age group in TV?
What is the real cost of living in TV? Would 6k-8k be comfortable if we own the home outright?
How expensive is the golf? the marina rental (25ft)? The "amenities"?

Have seen discussions on the TV site, but am a bit leery of "propaganda".

Appreciate any and all feedback.......GT

I cannot tell you the specific cost of living in Tellico Village. But I am very familiar with the area, and Tellico Village is a fantastic development. It's now a self sustaining community with a strong homeowners association and 8 neighborhoods with some 7,000 people.

Tellico Village is located on a tributary of the fantastic Tennessee River. With the Smokies within eyesight, it's an incredibly beautiful place. And with Interstate 75 close by, Knoxville is maybe 1/2 hour away--big city amenities. Needless to say, boating and fishing is also great.

Tennessee is one of the least expensive places to live, with reasonable property taxes, TVA power and no state income taxes for most people. And the people in East Tennessee are unique. It's one of those places everyone should consider moving to.

If you ride a motorcycle, some of the best riding roads in the world are in the area. Just get on 129 and head south.

Would 6k-8k be comfortable if we own the home outright?

I suspect that if you own your own home, you could live well just about anywhere for $6-8k/month. Do you want to golf everyday? How do you think you want to spend your time ?

I briefly looked at the community online and it looked great.

Per golf fees, I googled and discovered it costs around $20 to play 18-hole golf. There are some fees if you bring a cart or rent one. http://www.tellicovillagegolf.com/index_TellicoVillageGolfFees.htm

Marina fees are between $150 and $400 a month depending on which dock and covered or not etc:
http://www.tellicomarina.com/tellicomarina/rates.asp

Last edited:
If you ride a motorcycle, some of the best riding roads in the world are in the area. Just get on 129 and head south.

The famous Tale of the Dragon is just east of Tellico Village, and it's famous for being one of the most crooked mountain roads anywhere. On weekends, incredible numbers of cyclists are on the Tale.

I prefer to travel the Cherohala Skyway which is a 40 mile scenic road from Tellico Plains, TN to Robinsonville, NC. It's about as good of a motorcycle and sports car tourist road as there is anywhere.

We try to drive thru it at least 1x per year, as the scenery is absolutely amazing. We keep a RV in the North GA Mountains, and it's a beautiful region too.

The state taxes could hit you hard if your income is mostly from dividends, and you are well off (spending 6-8K per month).

Tennessee Income Tax Rates for 2016

"In recent years, state commissions established to audit Tennessee's tax structure have criticized the tax as unfair to retired taxpayers, who often depend heavily on investment and dividend income. Exemptions for low income retirees have been introduced to help protect retired taxpayers."

Last edited:
Sounded good until I read about the motorcycle traffic. Hearing that noise during a hiking trip to the Smokes ruined it for me.

Sounded good until I read about the motorcycle traffic. Hearing that noise during a hiking trip to the Smokes ruined it for me.

Tellico Village is not in The Smokies, but on the Little Tennessee River. It's not a motorcycle place, but rather like a small city on the banks of a beautiful lake.

The Smokies are within eyesight to the East, however.

The famous Tale of the Dragon is just east of Tellico Village, and it's famous for being one of the most crooked mountain roads anywhere. On weekends, incredible numbers of cyclists are on the Tale.

I prefer to travel the Cherohala Skyway which is a 40 mile scenic road from Tellico Plains, TN to Robinsonville, NC. It's about as good of a motorcycle and sports car tourist road as there is anywhere.

Tellico Village is not in The Smokies, but on the Little Tennessee River. It's not a motorcycle place, but rather like a small city on the banks of a beautiful lake.

The Smokies are within eyesight to the East, however.

With The Smokes that close, I'd be hiking there all the time. It sounds like the roads to get there would be great for motorcycles. Between driving there listening to bikes around me and hiking hearing the bikes, for someone like me this wouldn't be a nice place. My best friend and her husband would love it...except they don't hike. ;)

Back
Top Bottom