Ten Years Ago Today I Retired! An Update

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I retired from my company ten years ago today on 12.2.05, exactly 12205 days after I started. (note the numbers) I was 53.

I had had an extraordinary run of 33 years. My company was eventually sold and I was given the opportunity to “pursue other interests” by the acquiring company with an obscenely generous severance and payout.

Despite a stellar resume, looking for new employment over age 50 was an eye opener; I was either “overqualified” or “just a rich guy looking to play golf with clients and do little else for the next 10 years” or “we can get a young kid cheaper” were the unspoken themes.

Then came the Great Recession and……..reluctantly, retirement came knocking on my door.

At first DW and I were a little concerned. We were never terrified, but more unsure and frankly hadn’t thought about an early retirement too much. We “thought” we were ok but had no idea where to start. We had a lot of money and investments but now the trick was to figure out how long it would last.

Can we do this?

Then….
Somewhere along the way I stumbled into this forum; sort of backed into it via FireCalc if I recall. I ended up lurking awhile before signing up about 6 years ago.

The things I’ve learned here over the past 10 years have been simply amazing and opened up a whole new life for us! Seriously, this forum should be required reading for high schoolers. Collectively, the folks here have saved me tens of thousands of dollars in varying ways and allowed us a new life.

Investments, taxes, social security, health care, and a dozen other RE topics along with some that are just fun.

When I first started lurking here, I was expecting the FI part of be a lot of super wealthy ‘financially independent’ types; trust funders, retired business owners and maybe an internet billionaire. What a surprise to realize that RE includes an entire subculture from all walks of life and financial situations!

Meanwhile, we had all kinds of stuff that we sort-of-kind-of thought we knew but slowly realized that we had NO CLUE!!! We were leaving all this stuff to accountants and lawyers with no idea what was going on!!!

More or less by default, my new “job” was to get us to 95 years old with just our money, time, and newly learned and evolving skills. This forum has been a huge factor in that learning.

I didn’t know an expense ratio from a cap gain! But I learned and the folks here helped me along.

We eventually dropped our FA and went DIY.
We cut a whole bunch of expenses; $10K a year in subscriptions alone! We got a good handle on our spending. Our only non-negotiable was that we would never, ever cut corners on the quality of our food (and drink). I learned to cook, really, really well. We started doing our own taxes.

Ten years later, here we are.
After a few years, you see that the bills are getting paid and you have more money at the end of the year than when it began. You start to relax and realize “Hey, this is working!”. You slowly start to see your portfolio grow over time. You get confident making changes. You don’t panic in a downturn. You start to loosen the purse strings (just a bit).

Bored? What’s that?!
Hey! Guess what?! I get by on about 90% fewer clothes in my closet than when I was working.
The work friends that I thought would stay in touch haven’t called in 10 years; I’m still having lunch with the ones I thought I’d never hear from!

My work had kept me away from home 200 days a year, so best of all, I'm now getting to do all the stuff I never had time for; early morning paper and a cup of coffee, working on my boat (instead of paying someone to do it), long walks, leisurely swims and slow dinners.

On the forum you go from a lurker, to asking serious questions, to being a contributor. The people here become your friends. You get to know who’s truly knowledgeable, who’s just cranky all the time and who to avoid. Most of us have never met but you empathise on someone’s loss and celebrate their wins. You see newcomers and want to help them with the same questions you once had.

To this day, I keep learning something new on this forum. I check in almost every day and most days, several times a day. I just want to see what my friends are working on each day!

Cons: The first thing I noticed was a minor slowing of my mental capacities. Not in a bad or scary way, but after being “on” and having to operate at a high level, hair-trigger for years, I found that I just wasn’t quite as quick mentally as when my life demanded being quick on the draw.

Pros: I found that it took me over 2 years to “come down” and find myself as a person. Thirty-plus years of “being your profession” takes some undoing.

I find myself more empathetic to others. More caring, a lot less hostile and less combative (many reading my posts over the years may disagree). As an executive, I had to play a certain role; it was never ‘me’ but what I had to do to stay on top of the game. I was always a little bit of a sociopath (heh!) so I don’t expect to end up helping out at a homeless shelter, but I do find myself being a lot more understanding toward others. I’m also more relaxed, less stressed and more willing to roll with the punches. I’ve gone from sleeping 4-5 hours a night to 9 or 10! I was actually able to get rid of my distance glasses.

So that’s been my first ten years of retirement! A lot more personal growth than I was expecting and a lot more insight as to who I am.

I thank the good folks here who’ve become my on-line friends helping on this journey and for this forum itself! It’s been quite a trip so far………..

Life is good!

Wonderful post, marko! Perhaps it will encourage a few more lurkers to come out of the closet and join the fun.

Happy anniversary, Marko. Much of what you've written applies to my husband and me, 7 years after our unexpected dual early retirement. Wasn't 2008 a great year? 😖

Your thoughtful post would have been a calming and consoling read to me back then, and I imagine it will also be useful for other readers out there now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Excellent post. I think what the biggest benefit of this site is, is the ability to talk/share ideas about MONEY. While I do have one friend I can openly discuss finances with it's generally taboo to talk about your investments and philosophy re finances. And yet money and financing a retirement is probably one of the issues that consumes more thinking than just about anything except, well you fill in the blank. I know some of our neighbors are a bit suspicious, but it's really fun being the millionaire next door. OTOH because it took a lot to get here, we (well I, DW not so much) still keep a keen eye on the financial status. For us it's a little over 4 years, but the portfolio has grown about 20%.

As my hat says, Life is Good.:dance:

Thanks for sharing Marko. Occasionally, I get a panick attack just thinking about retirement. It's good to know you survived 10 years and the recession.

Thanks Marko for such a great contribution to the community. I'm only 2.5 years in, but can relate on so many levels.

Excellent post, thanks for the update. I added my experiences, those similar to yours, after ER of only 6 months. I can only imagine the changes after ten years.

I retired from my company ten years ago today on 12.2.05, exactly 12205 days after I started. (note the numbers) I was 53.

I had had an extraordinary run of 33 years. My company was eventually sold and I was given the opportunity to “pursue other interests” by the acquiring company with an obscenely generous severance and payout.

Despite a stellar resume, looking for new employment over age 50 was an eye opener; I was either “overqualified” or “just a rich guy looking to play golf with clients and do little else for the next 10 years” or “we can get a young kid cheaper” were the unspoken themes.

This has been the most surprising aspect. I had intended to work a bit, and only in very short stints, but have been unable to get anything short term. Were I looking for FT, however, I'd have no problem. Also very surprised at my lack of motivation to work now even on short term basis

Then came the Great Recession and……..reluctantly, retirement came knocking on my door.

At first DW and I were a little concerned. We were never terrified, but more unsure and frankly hadn’t thought about an early retirement too much. We “thought” we were ok but had no idea where to start. We had a lot of money and investments but now the trick was to figure out how long it would last.

Can we do this?

Yes. Even though I have 53x expenses, a part of me still wonders if I made a mistake.

Then….
Somewhere along the way I stumbled into this forum; sort of backed into it via FireCalc if I recall. I ended up lurking awhile before signing up about 6 years ago.

The things I’ve learned here over the past 10 years have been simply amazing and opened up a whole new life for us! Seriously, this forum should be required reading for high schoolers. Collectively, the folks here have saved me tens of thousands of dollars in varying ways and allowed us a new life.

Investments, taxes, social security, health care, and a dozen other RE topics along with some that are just fun.

When I first started lurking here, I was expecting the FI part of be a lot of super wealthy ‘financially independent’ types; trust funders, retired business owners and maybe an internet billionaire. What a surprise to realize that RE includes an entire subculture from all walks of life and financial situations!

Meanwhile, we had all kinds of stuff that we sort-of-kind-of thought we knew but slowly realized that we had NO CLUE!!! We were leaving all this stuff to accountants and lawyers with no idea what was going on!!!

More or less by default, my new “job” was to get us to 95 years old with just our money, time, and newly learned and evolving skills. This forum has been a huge factor in that learning.

This. Another big surprise, how much time I'm spending on maximizing everything. Just finished an entire month analyzing PF tax management, to include Roth conversions/recharacterizations to maximize investments.

I didn’t know an expense ratio from a cap gain! But I learned and the folks here helped me along.

We eventually dropped our FA and went DIY.
We cut a whole bunch of expenses; $10K a year in subscriptions alone! We got a good handle on our spending. Our only non-negotiable was that we would never, ever cut corners on the quality of our food (and drink). I learned to cook, really, really well. We started doing our own taxes.

Ten years later, here we are.
After a few years, you see that the bills are getting paid and you have more money at the end of the year than when it began. You start to relax and realize “Hey, this is working!”. You slowly start to see your portfolio grow over time. You get confident making changes. You don’t panic in a downturn. You start to loosen the purse strings (just a bit).

Bored? What’s that?!
Hey! Guess what?! I get by on about 90% fewer clothes in my closet than when I was working.
The work friends that I thought would stay in touch haven’t called in 10 years; I’m still having lunch with the ones I thought I’d never hear from!

My work had kept me away from home 200 days a year, so best of all, I'm now getting to do all the stuff I never had time for; early morning paper and a cup of coffee, working on my boat (instead of paying someone to do it), long walks, leisurely swims and slow dinners.

On the forum you go from a lurker, to asking serious questions, to being a contributor. The people here become your friends. You get to know who’s truly knowledgeable, who’s just cranky all the time and who to avoid. Most of us have never met but you empathise on someone’s loss and celebrate their wins. You see newcomers and want to help them with the same questions you once had.

To this day, I keep learning something new on this forum. I check in almost every day and most days, several times a day. I just want to see what my friends are working on each day!

Cons: The first thing I noticed was a minor slowing of my mental capacities. Not in a bad or scary way, but after being “on” and having to operate at a high level, hair-trigger for years, I found that I just wasn’t quite as quick mentally as when my life demanded being quick on the draw.

Not at all in my case. In fact, this is probably the sharpest I've ever been. Although I've always been a reader, I'm reading a lot more books now than ever before (and loving it!).

Pros: I found that it took me over 2 years to “come down” and find myself as a person. Thirty-plus years of “being your profession” takes some undoing.

This is a work in progress, and I can see it taking at least two years to "come down". My pace has yet to decrease from when I was working, although I am much more calm and content now.

I find myself more empathetic to others. More caring, a lot less hostile and less combative (many reading my posts over the years may disagree). As an executive, I had to play a certain role; it was never ‘me’ but what I had to do to stay on top of the game. I was always a little bit of a sociopath (heh!) so I don’t expect to end up helping out at a homeless shelter, but I do find myself being a lot more understanding toward others. I’m also more relaxed, less stressed and more willing to roll with the punches. I’ve gone from sleeping 4-5 hours a night to 9 or 10! I was actually able to get rid of my distance glasses.

So that’s been my first ten years of retirement! A lot more personal growth than I was expecting and a lot more insight as to who I am.

I thank the good folks here who’ve become my on-line friends helping on this journey and for this forum itself! It’s been quite a trip so far………..

Yes, and a very interesting one.

Life is good!

Very inspiring post. Keep up the good work...oops. Keep up the good retirement.

Excellent post! Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Thanks, marko! Although I agree with your sentiments regarding high schoolers and this forum, I speak from 15 years of teaching - 98% of them wouldn't do it if they had to and the 2% who would do it probably wouldn't see the relevance to them. Required reading for 30 year olds, perhaps.

Really great post

A lot of things in there Marko that will be relevant to many and are definitely thought provoking for me. Congratulations on your success.

I enjoy your mainstream posts very much as well and look forward to reading them on the threads I end up being interested in following.

I stopped lurking and joined just to thank you for your post.

I retired 3 months ago and despite having "enough" according to projections, and any rational assessment, still anxious. It's a big transition. Very helpful to get a glimpse of the other side.

This is a great post and very helpful. I started P/T in Sept but I just looked at my original proposal to my company yesterday and laughed because it said 2-3 years. Then I decided Aug '16 and now I've concluded the end of April '16 is the final straw because I just can't do it anymore.

At this time 80% of my money is being managed by two different firms. The remainder I manage. I expect this to change but for a year or two I just don't want to deal with it. Plus, one is local and my DW wants someone she can call in case I croak.

I have been very encouraged by this forum and I know it will be a couple of years for me to pull my head out.

Good luck

Seriously, this forum should be required reading for high schoolers.

Shhhhh! we need them to work to support SS. Naw - I agree. It would be very interesting to hear their comments after haing to spend time as an assignment reading here.

Collectively, the folks here have saved me tens of thousands of dollars in varying ways and allowed us a new life.

Lurked here for about 3 years (I was in OMY denial) and have saved a lot of money due to advice and counsel given here.

this is my new continuing education site. At least every other day I learn something new and consider other view points.

What a surprise to realize that RE includes an entire subculture from all walks of life and financial situations!

I have found this fascinating as well and very personally enlightening.

I get by on about 90% fewer clothes in my closet than when I was working.

It's only been a month and a half and I haven't ironed anything yet! I went to wearing cargo shorts for at least 70% of the time.

On the forum you go from a lurker, to asking serious questions, to being a contributor. The people here become your friends.

I have already made a couple of new friends here. Some have been very helpful with advice and some are helping me with a few of my hobbies.

Life is good!

Indeed :cool:

The people here become your friends. You get to know who’s truly knowledgeable, who’s just cranky all the time and who to avoid.

Geez, I will try to not be so cranky for you! :D

Great post though, it was good to read. I agree that this is a great forum to belong too. I am a member of many others, but the quality of posting here is SO much better than others that I am involved with. I have even had drinks with another member here and it's been GREAT to discuss FIRE'd stuff with someone that is REALLY young like myself. There just aren't many people out there that can understand all the [-]pain and confusion[/-] joy and happiness that we experience being young, FI, and most importantly FREE!!!!

Great post, thank you for sharing. This is one of the best posts I have read on this forum!

Marko,

Thanks. I enjoyed reading your post and appreciate the encouragement it contains.

Muir

Back
Top Bottom