Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
WTF, seriously? That's some serious carnage.

I think they were having a contest on who could eat the most. When I saw how fast the turkey was disappearing, I started to panic! Then the contestants started another contest. . . Who could make the loudest fart! Made for an interesting discussion at the adult table! Thank g*d they have grown up!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I think they were having a contest on who could eat the most. When I saw how fast the turkey was disappearing, I started to panic! Then the contestants started another contest. . . Who could make the loudest fart! Made for an interesting discussion at the adult table! Thank g*d they have grown up!
Sounds like we have some tame teenagers here. Lucky for us one of them has a girlfriend coming for T-day so he would be out of the fart contest one hopes.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
My wife has to work that day (RN at the VA Hospital), so she decided that it would be a good day for me to paint the fireplace since I am home and no family around
She must be an INTJ. Only to one of those would it make sense.

BTW, I are one.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Keep an eye on that turkey...

Man sees the face of Jesus on a piece of chicken | On Air Videos | Fox News

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
My wife has to work that day (RN at the VA Hospital), so she decided that it would be a good day for me to paint the fireplace since I am home and no family around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
She must be an INTJ. Only to one of those would it make sense.

BTW, I are one.
I am not really sure what my wife is, but I am also INTJ and to be honest her idea makes sense to me Although I would much rather have the day to spend in my garage working on project car stuff than painting. Since the painting needs to be done one way or the other, might as well just use the day to get it done, and make wife happy.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #46

First T Day that we are hosting! Only 13 people. Both kids are coming "home". I'm doing the turkey, an 18 pounder, in the Orion Cooker. First attempt at turkey, but I've done ribs several times, and the supplied instructions were accurate. Bad time to be experimenting, but sometimes you gotta live on the edge! And I'm on the hook to do the Christmas bird too.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Ignorant question from the European here.

How does Thanksgiving differ from Christmas? In practice I mean, I know the wikipedia pages
BTW, this made me remember spending Thanksgiving aboard Cunard's Queen Victoria a few years back. On Turkey Day (what we Yanks sometimes call Thanksgiving) DH and I excitedly asked our waiter at breakfast what the Thanksgiving dinner menu would look like. Rather nonplussed, he responded that they didn't really 'do' Thanksgiving since the ship was British.

Duh. Definitely a foolish-tourist moment for us both.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
BTW, this made me remember spending Thanksgiving aboard Cunard's Queen Victoria a few years back. On Turkey Day (what we Yanks sometimes call Thanksgiving) DH and I excitedly asked our waiter at breakfast what the Thanksgiving dinner menu would look like. Rather nonplussed, he responded that they didn't really 'do' Thanksgiving since the ship was British.

Duh. Definitely a foolish-tourist moment for us both.
I think I'd rather have a lobster, crab cakes, steak or lamb chops or some other typical cruise fare than turkey anyway.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Will have Mom, MIL, DW, DS, DS's friend, DD+fiance and DGD over. I will grill ~12 pound turkey on the BBQ. I love the charcoal grilled turkey and it saves the kitchen for cooking all the other great additions to the meal.

There will also be a mean game of Monopoly along with the NFL games.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #50

Dinner at my daughter's home with her husband and the five grandchildren. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanksgiving? Wasn't that about 6-7 weeks ago?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post

That's correct.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #53

Since moving across the country, and I work in a hospital, out Thanksgiving Day meal has been decidedly small for most of the last 15 years. We once were in Orlando with DS's high school marching band, and we had Universal Island's of Adventure all to ourselves-it was an outstanding day. This year I get off work Thanksgiving morning. So we've made reservations at a local restaurant. No leftovers which is a huge bonus. We might go bowling that night. Hope we can visit my sister in future years.

I miss the family gatherings my parents and father's sisters families pulled off when we were young.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
First T Day that we are hosting! Only 13 people. Both kids are coming "home". I'm doing the turkey, an 18 pounder, in the Orion Cooker. First attempt at turkey, but I've done ribs several times, and the supplied instructions were accurate. Bad time to be experimenting, but sometimes you gotta live on the edge! And I'm on the hook to do the Christmas bird too.

I hosted about the same number a long time ago. Some things I did:

I found the turkey takes much longer to thaw than all the books say. I had to plan pots, serving dishes, utensils and time. Laid everything out ahead of time. Prepared stuffing ingredients and dessert in advance. Made extra stuffing in a casserole dish-

Put together the plans for each dish on index cards, including serving dish, cookware, and start times. Planned start times for everything- had a master schedule so I wouldn't run out of burners or oven space and I wouldn't have to think.

People will want to help. So you have index cards and can assign tasks.

Make sure drinks are served before the meal and have a glass of wine while cooking. Then no matter what happens, everyone will say it is the best meal ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone tried the Turkey and Cranberry/Apple sausages at Trader Joes?

Us Brits tend to keep a low profile on those US holidays: July4, T-Day! ;o)
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Blended/whatsit in-law (and outlaw) family gathering of 20 people at step-MIL's (I swear I have a trailer park's worth of extended family). Since FIL has increasingly advanced Parkinson's I smoke the turkeys (a 20 pound monster crazy SIL bought from the organic whatsit store plus a 14 pound usual turkey I bought) and contribute assorted sides. Since BIL and hisfamily finally moved to the area I will likely bring a 5 gallon keg, CO2 tank, and tap (and FIL has a wheelbarrow to put us back in vehicles for the trip home). Thinking seriously about critter-whacking in the mountains the next day. I went yesterday morning and it was almsot a purifying experience (lugging 25 pounds up a couple thousand feet will do that) despite the fact that I brought home a single Abert's squirrel.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
Canuckistani?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Canuckistani?
We have a winner.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I found the turkey takes much longer to thaw than all the books say.
Dodged that bullet...bought a "fresh" bird from Trader Joes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Make sure drinks are served before the meal and have a glass of wine while cooking. Then no matter what happens, everyone will say it is the best meal ever!
Great idea, but....too bad they're all Babtists. One thing is for sure....I'll have a keg tapped!

The rest of the details are not in my purview, thank goodness,...I'm only the bird cooker.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #60

15-20 family/friends eating turkey then watching Seahawks beat the 49ers.