The Class of 2014

Hmmm I think everyone is speaking in a secret code that I don't understand. OPM? TSP? FERS? (I think that is Federal retirement?).

I know my BS bucket is overflowing. I do know what that means. Now I am trying to figure out how to escape the Concentration Camp prior to October. I already moved it up one year, now trying to escape even earlier. ;)

I don't have any OPM, TSP, or FERS, but I will have a small pension from CalPERS that is the California version of a pension and I have savings and I am willing to commit to a life of poverty to escape the Concentration Camp. Concentration Camp is the pet name for my employer where the hours are long and the list of rules is even longer and punishment is swift and painful. :(

If people use acronyms I think it would be helpful to spell out what they mean or explain what they mean for the uneducated like myself. :confused:

Hmmm I think everyone is speaking in a secret code that I don't understand. OPM? TSP? FERS? (I think that is Federal retirement?).

I know my BS bucket is overflowing. I do know what that means. Now I am trying to figure out how to escape the Concentration Camp prior to October. I already moved it up one year, now trying to escape even earlier. ;)

I don't have any OPM, TSP, or FERS, but I will have a small pension from CalPERS that is the California version of a pension and I have savings and I am willing to commit to a life of poverty to escape the Concentration Camp. Concentration Camp is the pet name for my employer where the hours are long and the list of rules is even longer and punishment is swift and painful. :(

If people use acronyms I think it would be helpful to spell out what they mean or explain what they mean for the uneducated like myself. :confused:

OPM = Office of Personnel Management
TSP = Thrift Savings Plan (like a 401k)
401k = actually a section of the tax code. It is a defined contribution plan (DC)
DB = Defined Benefit
FERS - not sure, however it's a DC
CSRS = Civil Service Retirement System, it's a DB

And yes, most of those are Federal. BTW, what does the acronym CalPERS mean? Thanks

Thank you both, very helpful! I will become educated! Some of them are pretty funny. I won't say which ones...

CalPERS is short for: California Public Employees' Retirement System.

Hey Cassie, Kaufman, and the other newly and going to retire FEDs...let's start up a new thread..."2014 retired FED and going to retire FEDs". See ya there...

Six weeks into it and even though I am loving my freedom, DW is wondering if we should have a part time job? How can I deal with that if We Are financially OK, as long as the stock market does not tank. I sometimes feel guilty not working! Crazy right? It must be this transition from the mega corp grind and stress to RE freedom? I am definitely not bored. In fact I have so many projects around the house it is overwhelming and I do not know where to start!

Hey Cassie, Kaufman, and the other newly and going to retire FEDs...let's start up a new thread..."2014 retired FED and going to retire FEDs". See ya there...

OK, let me know where the thread is.....how about calling it Retired & Upcoming FIRE'ed FEDS or something like that so future folks will read 2015, 2016 etc. Thanks!

Six weeks into it and even though I am loving my freedom, DW is wondering if we should have a part time job? How can I deal with that if We Are financially OK, as long as the stock market does not tank. I sometimes feel guilty not working! Crazy right? It must be this transition from the mega corp grind and stress to RE freedom? I am definitely not bored. In fact I have so many projects around the house it is overwhelming and I do not know where to start!

Next, you'll be telling us you went back to w*rk because the projects were overwhelming and you wanted to avoid doing them. :D

Friday I talked to my boss about my RE date of July 4th. I think she was shocked. I know this is earlier than most suggest, but my reasoning was totally selfish as my assignment for the next 4 months will be less stressful for me. I told the team I was moving on yesterday, but did not give a hint as to my new "oppurtunity". I think I will fill them in about a month. If I don't do it officially, they will probably drag it out of me. It's getting closer! :)

I'm down to under 130 hours remaining. Somehow my bosses aren't convinced I'm retiring.

Well, I'm a bit behind you; my countdown app says 90 work days remaining. That's based on 30 June 14, which is a rough date as of now. Still, it's nice to count down. :)

Friday I talked to my boss about my RE date of July 4th. I think she was shocked. I know this is earlier than most suggest, but my reasoning was totally selfish as my assignment for the next 4 months will be less stressful for me. I told the team I was moving on yesterday, but did not give a hint as to my new "oppurtunity". I think I will fill them in about a month. If I don't do it officially, they will probably drag it out of me. It's getting closer! :)

I stated my intent of FIRE on August 1 to my manager during my mid year review last week, actually seems to have been for the best as I was able to suggest an individual as my successor. My manager and I agreed that my successor could benefit from having some time to spend in his new role before I leave so as to have the opportunity to learn what questions to ask while I'm still around; that could also afford me some time to better organize documentation to assist in navigating the myriad of regulatory matters that must given close attention.

Also clued in my staff, they were pretty sure it was coming as I guess I'd just not been showing as much stress lately. It was rather telling of the work atmosphere that my managers actually seemed to be more into kicking themselves for not being in my shoes than happy for me; the only person who was genuine enough to shake my hand was one of my direct reports, who happens to also be the local union president.

:dance: 98 work days and counting.

Dividends are now comfortably higher than living expenses and will be even more so by years end.

May I please inquire as to how many shares you have of which stocks that pay dividends higher than your living expenses? I receive dividends, but no-where near enough to cover my living expenses.

Haven't added myself to the list yet. Don't want to jinx myself. Dividends are now comfortably higher than living expenses and will be even more so by years end.

I'd probably give my notice in September, so I still have time to chicken out. More and more I am struck at how fleeting our lives are. Certainly not long enough to be miserable at work.

May I inquire as to how many shares of which stocks you have that are paying dividends to higher than your living expenses?

Today is the last day. I put my licenses in "in active", drew my last paycheck. I am done. "Free at last, free at last. Thank god almighty I am free at last".

Congratulations on your "freedom", it is a good feeling! Are you going to Disneyland? :)

Offically retired today!

Today was my final day at work. I had a nice lunch with the people in my dept. and said my goodbyes. I expected to experience some sort of a wave of relief to engulf me on the drive home but it didn't happen. My Dad just passed away a couple of weeks ago so I think this has had an affect on me lately.

Age 61 is not a very early retirement compared with most of you here but earlier than most anyone I know. DW and I are going to Key West in a couple of weeks to celebrate.

We are planning to move in the next year or so, but so far we haven't decided if we are heading further South for milder year round climate, or if we will relocate back to our home state of Iowa and snow bird for 2 or 3 months each winter. Before we can get serious about getting our house on the market and moving, we first have to take care of Dad's estate. Being so far away from his home it will be a daunting task getting everything cleared out and the house ready to sell.

Financially, we are in good shape. I am still drawing a salary and benefits for the next 9 months plus Mom & Dad left a generous inheritance to my Sister and me. I will have to tackle the health insurance issue later this year for 2015 (ACA for us). So long as the health care is reasonably affordable for the next 4-5 years we will be good to go.

DW and I like to travel so we have budgeted for that. We also enjoy gardening, bicycling, and long walks for exercise. We just enjoy each other's company no matter what we are doing. We have talked about getting a used motorhome to do some extensive traveling but that is still only in the discussion stage. Hopefully, retirement will be very fun and exciting so long as we both can maintain our health.

@Tom52, sorry for the loss of your Father. Congratulation on your retirement, I think your plans sound interesting, hope you do updates.

wavering....

I'll have to decide within the next month if I will stick with the class of 2014. Chalk it up to OMY syndrome :). A couple of projects I took on and completed last year because no one else wanted to (and which I figured the worse case scenario was getting fired and getting severance) have amazingly become in demand due to shortfalls in other projects. A round of layoffs earlier didn't tap me (drat :)) but did impact the other projects. I have meetings with my first and second line managers this week where I know they are going to be feeling me out regarding my "longevity" so we'll see where that goes.

In addition, having to replace all of our vehicles in the past year (about 2 years ahead of plan), and wanting to pay youngest child college bills as much as possible from current earnings rather than savings are also factors. Waiting a year will also boost my pension about another $2000 a year. Not much, but it helps our strategy of being able to live only on pension and cash savings for 7-10 years after retirement without being forced to sell equities in a down market or forced to take SS early.

We're meeting with the financial planning company (paid for by Megacorp) in a couple of weeks, to validate what Firecalc, Quicken, and Fidelity planners are all showing that we are well within "safe" retirement range this year, and OMY would be a bonus. We'll see...

Last edited:
Congratulations for pulling the trigger and retiring, Tom. Reaching the point where you can choose to retire on your terms at whatever age is something to be celebrated and admired. Well done!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Stomper, I'm afraid that I'm likely going to move my name from the 2014 list to the 2016 list also. Recently my BS bucket has gotten emptied a bit, and DW is pushing for another couple of years in the orient so we can travel and see a lot of the sights here. We haven't made a final decision, but we're leaning toward 2016 now.

Back
Top Bottom