The first day of the rest of my life

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
is today. I officially semi-FIRED yesterday. I say semi, because we have the issue of health insurance to contend with. My job provided coverage, so we have COBRA for the next 18 months and if DH wants to continue working past that day then I may have to go back to get medical. I am convinced that if he quit now we would have enough, however he is worried about the falling markets etc. Also my company has not yet replaced me, so I have agreed to stay on as an independent contractor at a good rate until they have things in place. I had intended to work another 18 months, but politics go so bad that my bullshit bucket was overflowing so I decided to quit last month. Reason I don't mind being an IC is I am able to work remotely so can just focus on doing the things that need doing and never having to attend another meeting.

It was so good to not wake up this morning to the sound of the alarm, just a leisurely fall out of bed. Needless to say the smile on my face is rather big at the moment.

Congratulations, can't wait until my first day (about 2 years away). Enjoy...

is today. I officially semi-FIRED yesterday. I say semi, because we have the issue of health insurance to contend with. My job provided coverage, so we have COBRA for the next 18 months and if DH wants to continue working past that day then I may have to go back to get medical. I am convinced that if he quit now we would have enough, however he is worried about the falling markets etc. Also my company has not yet replaced me, so I have agreed to stay on as an independent contractor at a good rate until they have things in place. I had intended to work another 18 months, but politics go so bad that my bullshit bucket was overflowing so I decided to quit last month. Reason I don't mind being an IC is I am able to work remotely so can just focus on doing the things that need doing and never having to attend another meeting.

It was so good to not wake up this morning to the sound of the alarm, just a leisurely fall out of bed. Needless to say the smile on my face is rather big at the moment.

So are you carrying through with the Hawaii plan?

DM Congrats !!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D.I've been gone a couple of days more than a year and still have a smile on my face every day. Look into getting individual ins policies for you and DH prior to running out of COBRA. we selected a $3k deductible with a pharmacy plan that is running $600/mo for both of us , 58/56 yo. This price was $300/m less than COBRA. YMMV.

I'm so happy for you DangerMouse!! I know how wonderful it is to get away from the darn alarm clock. :D

Welcome to the club. Put your watch away ... you won't be needing it.
Keep your paper subscription. ... it's the only way you'll know what day it is.
Relax and enjoy ... the water is wonderful :D:D:D

So are you carrying through with the Hawaii plan?

Hadn't gotten back to this before as I had my first mini-vacation taking 4 days to go to Vegas.

Hawaii plan has been shelved indefinitely. At the time we were formulating a plan, a close friend was diagnosed with stage iv cancer. As we were and remain their main support system, we felt it was far more important that we retain that role and remain where we are, rather than move to Hawaii for what was purely selfish reasons, that is have a good time. This event with combined with another couple of things that have happened to the people in our lives, has made us take another look at our lives and what we want to do. I am disappointed that Hawaii is unlikely to happen, however at the same time it is not the end of the world, there is always exciting options out there to be explored.

Being a friend is far more satisfying for many than being narcissist. Time spent with those that need us is time well invested. Do what you have to do to support those around you that need it. Most of the time we only get one chance to do the right thing.

Regrets and guilt will haunt you forever but doing what you know is right gives you an inner warmth that can't be matched with anything else.

Best wishes for you and yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom