Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, who wants to go first?
As a contender for Mr. No Tact World, I'll go.

I do at least as much housework as DW. Would be happy to farm out the work, but its not really in the budget and in a household with 2 small children, 2 dogs and a cat, and actual cleaning you do is undone is roughly 15 minutes.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As a contender for Mr. No Tact World, I'll go.

I do at least as much housework as DW. Would be happy to farm out the work, but its not really in the budget and in a household with 2 small children, 2 dogs and a cat, and actual cleaning you do is undone is roughly 15 minutes.

No spouse/SO, no kids, 1 well behaved cat.

There shall be room in the budget (dropping cable).

Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
(dropping cable).
Easy sacrifice to make, if I am any judge. We have cable as part of a package with phone and internet, but the pay tv part is easily the worst value.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #24

Khan, we need a wife, too.

I had high hopes when our buddy moved in with us back in November, but he's not coming along as fast as I'd hoped. He will do some cooking and sweeping up, but I still fantasize about someone to go to the grocery store, do laundry, and clean the windows. He does play ball with the dogs a lot.

Maybe one day I'll spend the money on a housekeeper, but I don't know how you'd do it when there are five cats and five dogs in a house! Congrats on your new freedom!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Beware
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Beware

Beware of Hot Looking housekeepers and/or babysitters. They might destroy your marriage and kill your ER dream...hehehe...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Khan, congratulations! My mom resisted getting a housecleaner for years, and finally read a book that had the title character getting a housecleaner because she could and another woman needed the work. Mom realized that having a housecleaner would make her life easier and would give someone local an income that was needed, and work that had dignity.

Next week she hired her housecleaner, who comes twice a week and watches the cat when Mom and Dad travel, to boot. Mom says it's some of the best money she's spent.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats! We employee a husband-wife team who also come every 2 weeks. The 4 hours per month I spend at my desk to pay for their services are well worth it.

There are many extravagences I'd do away with before going back to scrubbing showers and toilets.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started with a cleaning service seven years ago. I thought it a terrible indulgence at the time, and of course planned to stop it once I retired. But it is heaven, and it's in my retirement budget now.

They come once every two weeks. I do straighten up for their visits -- but I don't mind. At least things get straightened up every two weeks this way. The do the floors, bathroom, kitchen, dusting.

They only do a fair job, but it's good enough for me.

$64 per visit.

Coach
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I started with a cleaning service seven years ago. I thought it a terrible indulgence at the time, and of course planned to stop it once I retired. But it is heaven, and it's in my retirement budget now.

They come once every two weeks. I do straighten up for their visits -- but I don't mind. At least things get straightened up every two weeks this way. The do the floors, bathroom, kitchen, dusting.

They only do a fair job, but it's good enough for me.

$64 per visit.

Coach
That's not bad at all! I have never had a housekeeper, but thought I might get one after I retire. Right now I don't do all that much cleaning, but since I'm at work so much I hardly notice it. When I retire, I'll spend more time in the house so it should get dirtier faster and I'll have more time to notice it.

Do you tell them what to do, or do they pretty much have an idea already? I wouldn't know where to start. Floors, bathroom, kitchen, and dusting should cover it, I would think. I have five sets of French doors, but really the glass panes don't seem to need much cleaning.

Also, just before I put my present house on the market, I'll hire a team of people to scrub it from top to bottom. That should cost a pretty penny.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I am a big fan of dirt and clutter. However I've been beaten back to just my one room housing the computer, my Drip file cabinets(a few small survivors) and tools that have not made it to the basement. Plus I like a few changes of clothes laying out so I can see them.

The current SO likes clean, cook, and gardening. I accept my 30lbs overweight(in the last yr or so) and remain silent on the rest.

Life runs good that way. .

heh heh heh - I do BBQ, cars, and manage the basement. .

And play with the dogs!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I guess I could see some housekeepers for the non-FIRED folks. Doesn't being FIRED give you TIME to keep the house neat?

DW is part of the FlyLady phenomenon. The Flylady woman has a website and is supposedly a clutter and cleaning expert..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Who does your housework?
No one. I just live in filth.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess I could see some housekeepers for the non-FIRED folks. Doesn't being FIRED give you TIME to keep the house neat?
Maybe, maybe not....it's still w*rk.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post

Man - I'm jealous - you even got me beat! Looks like my computer chair - Office Depot?

heh heh heh -
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Man - I'm jealous - you even got me beat! Looks like my computer chair - Office Depot?

heh heh heh -
Big Lot's.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post

And people wonder why some women prefer living alone? I'd probably catch something and die if I had to live in a place like that (assuming I didn't jump off a cliff in my desperation). Each to his/her own, and I don't care how others live.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Our housekeeper also comes every two weeks. I plan a 4 hour excursion (park, mall, shopping/restaurant areas, etc.) for the days she's here. It's actually been kind of fun coming up with places to go/see. Not sure what will happen when DW joins me (retires).

t.r.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Maybe, maybe not....it's still w*rk.
I guess I am too cheap to pay someone to come clean my house......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess I am too cheap to pay someone to come clean my house......
Well, there's that. Or, why pay someone to do something if you're good at it?.....
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup - Tuesday is the day my housecleaners come and they are here right now. We alternate a full house clean week (5 hours of work) with a more focused 3.5 hour clean (kitchen, baths, family room). This was always included in my retirement budget.

I used to make sure my son left his room ready to clean (i.e. the floor was visible ) - but with an empty nest now, my preparation is just to make sure we remember to write a check.

I have gone through numerous individuals and services over the past 20 years and have had minimal problems. We had one theft of my (then) high-school age son's wallet which didn't have much money and no credit/debit cards. (We reported it to the police and to the owner who made restitution and fired the individual.)

I still feel a bit awkward when they are cleaning near me - but I'm willing to put up with that.

And now, I can think that I am helping the economy, too.