The Trek family's new bundle of joy!

Trek,

Congrats. Being at home will be great. Enjoy because it goes so very fast.

I can say from experience that being ER'd helps, but only to some degree. And it IS great to see all those firsts!

Babies have a volume control issue that means that when she's up, everyone in the house is gonna be up.

We had a special situation that really improved that. I put a SIDS monitor in the crib that would make a very loud shrill sound if there was no motion detected for 45 seconds or so. My wife frequently would hear him moving around, go get him out of the crib, not turn off the monitor, and wander out of the room just about the time the "your baby isnt moving" siren went off.

I didnt know it was possible to go from prone to standing in bed without your hands and feet being involved.

Babies have a volume control issue that means that when she's up, everyone in the house is gonna be up.

That would be her "dirty diaper" cry. :p

It's funny how each crying spell is so different depending on what the problem is.

I'm gonna scream and fuss and nothing you do can stop it = dirty diaper
I'm gonna fuss quite a bit but can be distracted from it = hungry
I'm gonna make faces and start to fuss, but crying can be diverted by moving me around a bit = gas

:D

That would be her "dirty diaper" cry. :p

It's funny how each crying spell is so different depending on what the problem is.

I'm gonna scream and fuss and nothing you do can stop it = dirty diaper
I'm gonna fuss quite a bit but can be distracted from it = hungry
I'm gonna make faces and start to fuss, but crying can be diverted by moving me around a bit = gas

:D

you might find this fascinating

Amazing Medical Breakthroughs: Priscilla Dunstan's Gift

Congratulations Trek....what an awesome gift you have in your life.

I want one too.....(biological clock ticking)

she looks like a lot of work. have you plugged her into firecalc yet? enjoy trek.

Haven't yet because I don't know the updated 2008 payment amounts we will be receiving yet. Won't know until we register the baby.

But it should break down something like this:

*Federal Childbirth Payment - $467 USD (1 time payment)
*City Childbirth Payment - ~$500 USD (1 time payment)
*Parental Benefit Payment (14 months) - minimum of $256 USD per month to maximum $2,019 USD per month (2007 figures). Don't know where we'll fall here.
*Child Allowance (per month from birth to 16 or 19 if attending higher education) - $28 USD per month (2007 figures)
*Childcare Allowance (monthly until age 8 ) - $56 USD per month (2007 figure)
*School Allowance (paid when child begins school) - $42 USD per month (2007 figure)

I think that is all of the Family Benefit Payments we'll be getting.

Of course medical/dental are free in Estonia until age 19.

And most public universities are tuition free in Europe, so she'll be going to one of those. :p

Wow, Trek, she's really beautiful!
So they pay you to have kids there? Fascinating! Is is because the birthrate is low or something, please forgive my ignorance!
Congratulations, glad everyone is healthy--has the dog taken well to her? My dogs love babies, so interested in their noises, in a friendly and non-intrusive way.

Wow, Trek, she's really beautiful!
So they pay you to have kids there? Fascinating! Is is because the birthrate is low or something, please forgive my ignorance!

Hit the nail on the head with the birth rate. It is falling and the government wants to take the monetary burden away from having children. If they can make having a baby almost cost neutral, this in theory will enable young families to have children (or more children) that otherwise might not because of the cost.

Plus, regardless of the birth rate issue, you'll find Europe (and Scandinavia in particular) is very family friendly and offers all kinds of family benefits you won't find elsewhere.

Here is the actual Social Ministries mission statement regarding the Family Benefits Act (translated to English).

The Republic of Estonia supports the family by partially compensating the costs of caring for, raising and educating children. The system of child and family benefits has been improved several times becoming more and more family friendly culminating with the introduction of the Parental Benefit Act on January 1, 2004. Along with current universal family benefits, the new benefit is a unique measure aiming at intertwining work and family life. It also aims to increase Estonia's birth rate and help parents meet expenditures arising from a newborn child.

Thanks so much, that is so interesting! When my sister did a Fulbright teaching assignment in Denmark years ago, she often remarked on the very family friendly policies there that encouraged larger families. Very forward thinking, all of this!

I see so many of my friends struggle with these work and family lifeissues and I am delighted that because of your FIRE accomplishments and choosing to raise a family in such an atmosphere, that you will be able to have a completely different (and better) experience! Congrats again!

Thanks so much, that is so interesting! When my sister did a Fulbright teaching assignment in Denmark years ago, she often remarked on the very family friendly policies there that encouraged larger families. Very forward thinking, all of this!

I see so many of my friends struggle with these work and family lifeissues and I am delighted that because of your FIRE accomplishments and choosing to raise a family in such an atmosphere, that you will be able to have a completely different (and better) experience! Congrats again!

Thanks Sarah. Kind words. Stop by if you're ever in town. :)

Back
Top Bottom