Things To Do Before You Die

• Thread starter 5 Years to Retirement
  • Start date
Well, I had pickled squid in pizza :) That was pretty
amazing too. And this for JohnBLake. Hey man,
ER is whatever works for you. I am more comfortable
relying on myself, but that's just me. I have no problem with other's approaches, goals, or even their politics
as long as they stay out of my way. You see, I love
people. What I hate is them mucking up my life. Some of them are more lovable at a distance.

John Galt

Well, I had pickled squid in pizza :) And this for JohnBLake. Hey man,
ER is whatever works for you. I am more comfortable
relying on myself, but that's just me. I have no problem with other's approaches, goals, or even their politics
as long as they stay out of my way. You see, I love
people. What I hate is them mucking up my life. Some of them are more lovable at a distance.
John Galt
I have no idea what you are talking about. Aurora insinuated that many people on this board are living off of others, and aren't really 'retired'. I just pointed out that there might be some that are actually helping to support others. I don't live off anyone's earnings but my own. If I did, I'd earn my keep in other ways. I like this place because many smart people here post opinions and facts on issues that matter to me -- like where to invest my short term cash, and whether or not I can purchase an assault weapon via mail order. I value people's opinions based on facts and reason (sound familiar?). You will not catch me dismissing your opinions claiming they're right-wing neanderthal trash.

Everybody loves to push things into black and white boxes. Its all gray though.

I was freestanding ER successfully, now I'm married with a working wife.

But I paid off all the debts, including the mortgage and the car payments.

I can continue to drain my dividends from the ER account to boost her income.

Because we have no debt and I'm kicking in more than enough to pay the bills, she can increase her pre-tax contributions to the max and we can fully fund a Roth for both of us.

Everybody wins.

Back to the topic at hand. I'm afraid most of the things I've always wanted to do before I died I already did or theres a strong impediment in the way.

I'd love to go to australia and travel around there a bit. The area and the critters there just fascinate me. Same for the far east. But I've only been on a plane once for more than 12 hours and that was WAY past my antsiness point. The flight attendants were ready to hike me out of one of the back doors.

Love to try skydiving. But I cant get myself to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

I'd love to go to australia and travel around there a bit.  The area and the critters there just fascinate me.  Same for the far east.  But I've only been on a plane once for more than 12 hours and that was WAY past my antsiness point.  The flight attendants were ready to hike me out of one of the back doors.

Pay for the upgrade to first class. The legroom is incredible and the service is excellent. Even business class in one of the non-US airlines would probably be fine - e.g. Singapore Airlines (great stewardess uniforms ;) ) or Japan Airlines. Or if even those won't work how about some kind of trip on a freighter? These look to be pretty interesting in their own right. http://members.aol.com/CruiseAZ/freighters.htm

First class helps, but I cant sleep on a plane or a boat thats underway. Weird quirk. And ask my wife about my sitting still...i have a 30 minute timer that goes off and makes me get up and roam around doing stuff. Which is not particularly desireable on airplanes, especially these days.

Things I want to do before I die:

1) Surf the best waves on the planet.
2) Snowboard the best slopes.
3) Learn foreign languanges (currently Spanish)
4) Martial arts (maybe Jujitsu in Brazil).
5) Yoga and tantric sex.
6) Study Buddism.
7) Build a house or small hotel in Central or South America.
8) Maximize happiness.

I have a pretty good start on number 1 and 2.

Snowboard (primarily for work :D)
Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, California, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Vermont, Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Norway, Germany, Japan......(favorites: Whistler and Verbier)

Surf
Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, Vancouver Island, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Indonesia (favorites: Indonesia, Panama). Next up Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Peru.

Surf

Skydiving & airplanes

Hey, th, jumpers may be leaving perfectly good airplanes, but they do it because of the aircrews.

Our kid's riding lessons are at a ranch next to a recreational airfield. Over the last three years I've spent many an enjoyable afternoon watching the jumpers come out, hearing their chutes pop, hearing the yells & screams (presumably excitement & happiness) and watching them ride the airfoils down. Parachutes are a lot better since 1979 and the Army's T-1B "dual vent" models.

This airfield just added a jump simulator that may suit your desires. It's a kid's bounce room on steroids. It's basically a 15-foot-diameter blower (with a padded screen, of course!) at the base of a 20-foot-tall plastic tower. You put a jumpsuit, stroll in at the bottom, assume the position, and get drafted up. You can practice aerodynamic positions (no, not that kind, I'm still talking about parachutes here) and if you smile you can also practice picking bugs out of your teeth.

If George Bush Sr can tandem-jump for his birthday then you can probably find something between these two alternatives.

OTOH... I was lounging on the beach one day when we saw a chute hit the water. I paddled out (on a short board, my first mistake) and realized it was just the chute. The jumper must have popped the harness and pulled his reserve, which let the first chute drift out over the ocean. I tried to recover the chute from the reef, which was my second mistake. The owner eventually paddled his kayak out, loaded it up, and struggled back to shore (cursing all the way). Wet nylon sure weighs a lot when you're trying not to drown.

Hmm...that jump simulator sounds interesting, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until next march to try out any (cough) aerodynamic positions. ;)

As far as the other observation, had that been me, you would have seen my primary hit the water, followed shortly thereafter by a loaded pair of pants. :p

I'd prefer a loaded pair of Colts, but that's just me.
BTW, God may have created men, but Samuel Colt
made them equal.

John Galt

7)  
Snowboard (primarily for work  :D)
Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, California, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Vermont, Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Norway, Germany, Japan......(favorites:  Whistler and Verbier)
You got to snowboard for work??! Oh man! I felt pretty good about my job today until I read this...some people are just so damn lucky!

I am thinking of going to Whistler some day to snowboard, what makes it your favourite?

Jane

Hi Jane !
Sorry for the late response...I just saw this. It was a tough job, but sombody had to do it :D Yes, I feel very fortunate to have had these opportunites. I started designing snowboard while I was still in college...it was a dream job for me.

Whistler is amazing. Over 5000 ft vertical drop and two huge mountains right next to each other...Whistler and Blackcomb. I have had days on Blackcomb glacier that were as good as Cat or helicopter snowboarding. Plus, the night life is excellent and when I was there the exchange rate was good. I also had friends that showed me some secret spots. Go for it! I prefer warm tropical surf destinations now...but I snowboarded a ton for 20 years...started in 1983. Also, check out Mt. Baker in Washington...incredible !

Surf

Hi Jane !
Sorry for the late response...I just saw this.  It was a tough job, but sombody had to do it   :D  Yes, I feel very fortunate to have had these opportunites.  I started designing snowboard while I was still in college...it was a dream job for me.

Surf

Yeah what a tough job ;) lucky you...!!

The exchange rate won't be useful for me since I am Canadian but I will get to Whistler someday (maybe this coming winter).

Thanks for the tips. Everyone I know who has been to Whistler raved about the place. (Btw, where and what is this "secret spot"?)

Jane

Might sound crazy from a fellow Canadian, but I hate snow. Best time of year to spend at Whistler is in July! Spouse and I loved it there. Great fun with pubs, restaurants, hiking, etc, etc.

The only time I could remember hating snow was when I was in university (in a different town) and I had to go home and shovel snow at my parents' house. My two bros who live at home with parents are apparently too busy (with what I don't know) to do any shoveling. But then my dad would always help me shovel so I guess I shouldn't feel that bad.

In the fall of course I would be coming home to rake leaves for my parents...(if you can come up with a more futile effort than leaves raking, be my guest).

In the summer, there is always grass to cut and dirt to dig for my mom's garden. My dad couldn't help me with leaves raking and grass cutting because he is allergic.

All I can say is: thank goodness now my parents live in a condo townhouse, no more shovelling and raking for me (I also live in a condo).

Anyway, that said I went to Jasper one summer 4 years ago and I enjoyed myself eventhough there was no snowboarding involved. I agree with you AltaRed, that part of the country is just wonderful!

Jane

I never rake leaves Jane. I live about 100 miles southwest of you. We have a huge Sugar Maple, a Gingko, Japanese Red Maple, 2 large Red Oaks, and 5 English Columnar Oaks. Lotsa' leaves! :-* My secret. I mulch in place with my mower every few days, and the leaves disappear. :D ................ and I obtain a free natural fertilization . ;)

I'll bet I have not raked leaves in 10 years
(I don't move much snow either - just drive over it). Our lot is heavily wooded, but I just use the mower to blow
the leaves in the
river or on the neighbors. Otherwise they rot where
they end up when the mower is put away. Leaf raking and snow removal are high on my list of things to avoid.

John Galt

Our lot is heavily wooded, but I just use the mower to blow the leaves in the river or on the neighbors.
What do you do when the neighbors blow them back onto your lot?

We have a bunch of Big Leaf maples. After it rains, it takes two people to carry one leaf away. I think this fall I'll try just covering the leaves with top soil and starting over on the landscaping.

I'll bet I have not raked leaves in 10 years...

Our local mayor sends the police to cite the elderly who don't maintain their lawns.  Apparently, she gave up on controlling actual crime.  The elderly make easy targets.  It used to be much worse before Congress passed the law exempting home owners from shoveling snow.  The city used to send officials to cite the elderly who didn't shovel their walks within a few hours of snow fall.  I watched people on the local cable channel trying to explain to local judges why they had paper or some such on their property, in violation of city ordinances for cleanliness.  It was amazing.  Fortunately, there are a lot of children in our neighborhood who will do the lawn for a few bucks.

My husband and I spent the last few days riding our motorcycles on the twisties in northern Wisconsin. We cranked up the Moody Blues on the CD player:

Wonderful day for passing my way
Knock on my door and even the score
with your eyes
Lovely to see you again my friend
Walk along with me to the next bend . . .

The fall leaves were at their peak, the sun was shining, and there hardly was a soul around. Truly bliss.

I enjoyed being married and conversing with my husband, dispite the fact he is a dirty market timer and gold bug.

Definately was something to do before I die.

Sex, drugs (Lipitor) and rock and roll!

Hello Martha! Not to wish you any bad luck, but save my e-mail just in case :)
Wisconsin is a good ride for sure. I have been all over
the state. Indeed, I lived in Packerland for 11 years.
Great state, but long winters. I would like to return,
except only from May through October.

John Galt

I decided to add one more item to my list of things to do: Watch the Red Sox win the World Series!

I enjoyed being married and conversing with my husband, dispite the fact he is a dirty market timer and gold bug.

According to my wife, dirty market timers are pretty good in the sack.

I guess we take risks and win! ;)

Woohoo! Go sox!!!

Now the broons and celtics have a little catchin' up to do.

All through the 8th and 9th innings I was chanting "No bill buckners...no bill buckers..."

I guess it worked...

We may now lay babe ruth and his piano to rest...

Back
Top Bottom