Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think they are more popular with families with older kids and folks that think a pool is part of the "Arizona lifestyle." I'll bet the pools are newer and don't need plaster or equipment. Also less concern about utility bills in North Scottsdale.

In other areas that have lots of young families and/or older housing stock, pools do not add much value. People in Tempe and similar older areas will pay a lot more for a new kitchen and nice interior finishes than they will for a pool.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I think they are more popular with families with older kids and folks that think a pool is part of the "Arizona lifestyle." I'll bet the pools are newer and don't need plaster or equipment. Also less concern about utility bills in North Scottsdale.

In other areas that have lots of young families and/or older housing stock, pools do not add much value. People in Tempe and similar older areas will pay a lot more for a new kitchen and nice interior finishes than they will for a pool.
You're right...those people should really not have a pool. It is definitely a luxury item. For us it is part of the Az lifestyle which is why we are here in the first place! Plus, it is an asset when we go to sell the house...if we ever do.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 AM   #43

We have an in ground pool at our house in Arizona. Love it but the climate there begs for a pool. Certainly is expensive especially heating it in the winter ($50-100/day). If really is the centre of our outdoor environment at this house. I don't think it would be the same experience in the NE though. Doubt I would install one there.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We have an in ground pool at our house in Arizona. Love it but the climate there begs for a pool. Certainly is expensive especially heating it in the winter ($50-100/day). If really is the centre of our outdoor environment at this house. I don't think it would be the same experience in the NE though. Doubt I would install one there.
I assume this is a winter home. I'm curious how old the pool is and what your annual pool maintenance and repair costs are. Have you replaced the equipment or resurfaced it yet?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #45

We've had an in ground since 2003. It was very expensive to put in, but we did major landscaping which was more than half the expense. Insurance liability isn't that much more with appropriate fencing. We don't use it enough but it's great for parties. It has a heater which usually isn't on but extends the swimming season significantly. We pay to have it opened and closed but do the rest ourselves. I've used it more since retiring from work. Not great for exercise.

Last year we put in a swim spa and replaced an old deck. The swim spa is marvelous and easy to maintain. I'm using it year round. It feels like a small pool and they come in multiple sizes. By using aluminum railing we've reduced the paper wasp problem a bit.

Given the landscape expense, I would consider sticking with the above ground pool at this point.

This is a picture of 2/3 of our small swim spa.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1464708499.503096.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I assume this is a winter home. I'm curious how old the pool is and what your annual pool maintenance and repair costs are. Have you replaced the equipment or resurfaced it yet?
Yes, this is a winter home. The house we bought in 2012 came with the pool. Replaced most (all?) of the mechanical equipment over the last 4 years. Total cost maybe $10k. I assume pool is same age as house, 26 years. To my knowledge has not been resurfaced. Annual maintenance averages about $3-4K excluding equipment replacement. Pretty good sized pool-about 45'X25' plus an integrated hot tub and rock waterfall.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #47

the best thing to do, IMO is buy a house with a nice pool and get a good inspection - way cheaper

certain places are almost intolerable without a pool *cough* Houston *cough * loved my pool in htown
Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

$20 and the grandkids love it!😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1464724886013.jpg (48.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

certain places are almost intolerable without a pool *cough* Houston *cough * loved my pool in htown

+1. We've been a pool owner for going on 20 years and love it. It does allow us full use of our backyard throughout the oppressive Houston summers. I've always done my own maintenance, which normally takes about 30 minutes a week. We re-plastered and re-tiled a few years ago, and the pool looks like new. I don't really track my expenses very closely, but figure that chemicals run about $35 / month and probably about $50 / month in electric costs. I have never regretted putting in the pool and would do it again. No plans to move right now, but if we did, we would certainly want to have a pool again. Kids loved it when they were young and now the grandkids are having their turn. Even when we're not in it, it makes sitting outside or grilling seem more enjoyable and resort-like. Splash!!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

In ground liner pool in cold Western NY with in ground fiberglass hot tub. Both on the same pool plumbing system. We put it in in 1995. Kids are grown but come home to enjoy it. 32 year old daughter home from NYC and enjoying it this minute with her friends. I use to maintain it but now have the pool service do the weekly service. All in all not cheap and really adds nothing to the house value. But it is fun even for our relatively short season. We are happy we did it.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

A pool was a "Must Have" for me. Ive had 3. Of course, I am in S FL and use it year round.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Eastwest Gal - that swim spa is sweet!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If you get a pool, get a good winter cover that's stretched across the pool and anchored by bolts in the cement. For years I dealt with the cheap thick plastic covers. They're held down by large plastic "sacks" that you fill with water but they break, or crows peck at them, or they fall in. Then part of the cover falls into the water and if you don't get it right away and snow and ice end up on it you've got a mess. You also have to run out every time there's any substantial rain and use a small submersible pump to get the water off the cover. Then there's the danger of family or pets falling onto the cover and sinking into the water.

The type that stretches across looks better, is almost zero maintenance and can supposedly withstand the weight of an adult although we never tested that out.....
We had an above ground pool for years.
I used to do the cover over the pool every fall, with the giant ball in the middle. Always a pain.

Finally I smartened up and skipped doing it, no cover all winter, just like a lake, it froze and thawed in the Spring.
There was no issue at all.
Now we don't have tons of trees overhanging the pool, but most would have dropped leaves before putting on the cover anyhow.
After that I went topless year after year over winter and saved myself a ton of work.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My 'pool' for now. I have the heat turned down. I can cool off, work out a little and float. Not too bad.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Pretty good sized pool-about 45'X25' plus an integrated hot tub and rock waterfall.
Pics please!

I was going to ask if it was really $50-100/day to heat but with a pool that size that's probably accurate!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Pics please!

I was going to ask if it was really $50-100/day to heat but with a pool that size that's probably accurate!
Never figured out how to add pics here. At some point......
Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have an in ground pool but I live in Florida so pool season is long even without heat . A few years ago the pool needed major repairs so I got estimates on removing it . They were horrendous since an engineer would be involved so I did the repairs and use it in the summer.
I just signed a contract today to have the 15'x30' in-ground pool, patio, and pool cage removed at my house. The hole will be filled with clean fill. Cost: $7,000. The pool is in a prime spot for a garden. I will be happy to have that 37-year-old eyesore gone!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #58

A spa is on the list. With a gazebo and a deck for ease of entry and "cool looking"
Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My low-desert AZ home has a diving 17'x37' pool. The home is 32-year old. We used it quite a bit when the kids were young.

So far this year, the only things swimming in it have been a couple of mallards. I have posted photos of wild ducks swimming in my pool before. This is the 3rd time I saw them, but there are no doubt more visits. They all look the same with the male mallard more colorful, and the female brown and dull. I do not think it's the same couple every year.They swam around, then took off causing no harm.

Oh, back to the pool, we do not use it much anymore, but filling it in costs too much money, and the construction equipment would also kill my wife's beloved fruit trees. So, the pool stays.

PS. I am linking in the old photos that I used before.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #60

We debated for a while about getting one, but the cons just outweigh the pros. We are members of the next door neighborhood pool ($250 for the year) and for the most part, when I go over in the AM, I am the only one there. The good thing about that is well, I am the only one there. Bad thing is they don't allow for solo swimming, so I have to wait for someone to show up. BUT...usually by 11, there are a couple other stragglers showing up, so I get a couple of hours of "float time" before the obnoxious children come out and take all the pleasure away! But...that's OK too. Once it gets past about 2 in the afternoon, it's just too damn hot out and the sun is brutal, so I retreat to the luxury of my air conditioned home.