Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We would not have another.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for the helpful discussion! It has been a long stressful month or so. I have talked to a number of pool builders and came very close to pulling the trigger to purchase. I could still change my mind, but for now I think I have settled on just filling in the hole from the above ground pool and doing something else. Grass, Garden, and fire pit are options. In the end, we are in the NE that has short summers, Adult child living at home (but never home), no grandkids and I am the primary user/maintainer.

I think the key driver that I think was mentioned here, once you have it you MUST take care of it. Especially in this age of Zika and West Nile, communities don't particularly care for a swamp in the neighbors yard. They are expensive to fill in (up to 15k from my research) and can make selling the home more difficult (even if filled in). Realistically our years of use are numbered.

Lastly, we tend to use the AC in the summer time. While my hope was that more pool use would lower the need for AC, I don't think that will be the case. There is less incentive to go into the pool when you are comfortable in the AC. If you do go in the pool, then you are cold when you go back into the house.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Had an in-ground for three years in the mid-90s. NEVER again. DW loves to swim, but she never seemed to get around to it. No kids.

If you're not absolutely sure that you want one, I'd explore your other options for a while first. You rarely get the money back on resale and you have the on-going hassle.

For those that have one and love it, Great! Please invite us over!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess we are just "pool people." Got our first in-ground pool installed when the kids were 8 and 11. Bought the big dream house a few years later, which unfortunately had a very old and leaking pool. We had that one removed and built a new one. It's medium size (18k gal), freeform shape, with a waterfall, heater, and Polaris cleaner. The heater is only used to extend the swimming season into early May and late Sept as needed, so not much expense from that. We have a separate spa, which sees a lot of use in the cooler months.

When the kids lived here, the pool was used nearly every day from May through September. DW and I still use it about 2-3 times per week in the summer. It's also great for holidays, family gatherings, or just cooling off after working outside in the Texas heat. And, we now have grandkids, so usage is once again on the rise.

I actually enjoy the maintenance. I've discovered that if you take care of a pool properly, the ongoing maintenance is very minimal (15-20 minutes per week). It's when you start ignoring the routine that more serious problems arise that require lots of time and expense to fix. We keep it open all year, but reduce the chemicals and electrical use quite a bit in the winter. I also keep costs down by avoiding pool stores altogether. I buy liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, baking soda, and borax at Wal-Mart. Mostly I just use the chlorine; the others are to fine-tune pH and alkalinity from time to time. Once every couple years, I have to add calcium and/or cyanuric acid, but that's it. I tear down the filter and give it a good cleaning twice a year, which takes about an hour.

Even when it's not being used, we find it to be a beautiful part of the landscape, which includes lots of planting beds, stone walkways, retaining walls, and other features. We enjoy sitting out on the pool deck in the morning with coffee while the waterfall is trickling. We will eventually downsize from the big dream house, but a pool is definitely part of the specs for the new place.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Even when it's not being used, we find it to be a beautiful part of the landscape, which includes lots of planting beds, stone walkways, retaining walls, and other features. We enjoy sitting out on the pool deck in the morning with coffee while the waterfall is trickling. We will eventually downsize from the big dream house, but a pool is definitely part of the specs for the new place.
You make a great point and one I keep coming back to. While we may not use the pool every day, we will look at it. When it is open, I find it very calming. It is kind of like me paying extra to have a ocean front condo for vacation, but only spend a few hours on the beach. My hubby and daughter spend more time there, but in reality nobody goes into the water much. It is all to look at or sit by.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One more consideration:

How long do you like to be away from home?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate my pool about 350 days a year but on the rare occasions the kids use it I find it well worth the money. However, it is expensive. Minimum $100 a month but probably more. Plus, we re-plastered and re-tiled last year and that was about $20k.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks REWahoo. Not sure how much of consideration it is for us. Mostly homebodies here. If we do travel it wouldn't be more than a week in summer.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #69

We use our pool just about every day May through October, weather permitting. With our new thermal heat panels, swimming season may be extended. I wouldn't live where I live without the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

We retired last year and moved out of a house with a pool in southern Indiana and moved into a house up north in Michigan with another pool. Like someone said yearly maintenance is low if you keep it clean. My grand kids use it multiple times a week and my wife likes to eat out by it. I do find that the grandkids prefer the pool to the lake most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Jeff
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Don't get a pool. It's the biggest waste of money. I consider it the stupidest financial blunder that I ever made.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
Don't get a pool. It's the biggest waste of money. I consider it the stupidest financial blunder that I ever made.

Please tell me more!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #73

Thoughts on a pool after retirement...

It's sort of like owning a boat, a second home or a Mercedes. They're money pits but it may be worth it to you. I don't regret owning 2 houses with pools but am glad I no longer do.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I love having a community pool that someone else maintains for a reasonable monthly fee. I swim laps and wouldn't want to fit a lap pool in the yard. The pool does get busy when school is out so I go early and often have it to myself.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #75

I'm enjoying ours at long last. We put it in for our son who was a swimming fanatic...until 2 years after we put it in. 😟 And with 3 INTJ people in the house we don't have a lot of parties. But I've only been done with work for a week. I've been in it 4 times in 7 days. And it is a gorgeous day today, so it will be enjoyed again.

Yes, I still have second thoughts. It was expensive. And keeping it up takes time and some money. But it is within our budget. But before there was a pool, there was a boring sloping useless lawn. I love our deck, patio and yard now.

We have a swim spa as well--replaced our hot tub last year along with a deck. Consider a swim spa. The larger ones can double as a small pool. Some of the largest ones have a longer area for swimming and a smaller separately heated hot tub. I swim 30+ minutes every couple of days, and without the turns, it is a better workout than swimming laps in a community pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
IConsider a swim spa. The larger ones can double as a small pool. Some of the largest ones have a longer area for swimming and a smaller separately heated hot tub. I swim 30+ minutes every couple of days, and without the turns, it is a better workout than swimming laps in a community pool.
That is my dream! Was it hard to get used to? What sort of climate do you live in? I am in New England and I did look in to putting one in the basement, but it would have been too expensive and dreary.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #77

Enclosed is my favorite photo from my recent swimming pool removal project. The photo shows the wrecking ball in flight (it's the brown orb in the foreground). Every time the wrecking ball hit the bottom of the pool, the entire house shook. I was a bit nervous about cracked stucco, etc. but no problems have yet emerged. On to the next project!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dropping the wrecking ball.jpg (688.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand those who would not use a pool, it would be a waste of money. For those who would like a pool, i cannot understand the comments on maintenance expense & time as that has not been the case for us. Upkeep is about 20 minutes a week. expense is maybe $5 a month at most for Salt / Acid which are added infrequently. Pool pump and heater may add some expense, but it is so low, it is not an issue. Even when we had a freshwater pool, the expense was minimal.

What am I missing here?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
I understand those who would not use a pool, it would be a waste of money. For those who would like a pool, i cannot understand the comments on maintenance expense & time as that has not been the case for us. Upkeep is about 20 minutes a week. expense is maybe $5 a month at most for Salt / Acid which are added infrequently. Pool pump and heater may add some expense, but it is so low, it is not an issue. Even when we had a freshwater pool, the expense was minimal.

What am I missing here?
not sure - I generally agree having maintained a pool in Houston for 15 years.

however, some older pools will have issues - leaks, either around the skimmers or through the backwash valve, black algae, chemical imbalance, LEAVES, etc.

I only had to call a pool guy out maybe once a year or so to replace a valve or blow out a line (sometimes I a pine cone would get sucked in accidentally)

I used to use bromine but it got too expensive so I got cl shipped in bulk through a web site

If I ever live in TX again I'd definitely have a pool, no question
Old 08-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
It has been awhile since there has been a thread on pools. I retired this year (58 and DH is in mid 60s) and unfortunately our above ground pool needs to be retired as well. I have mixed feelings about what to do next. The pool has primarily been for me and I have done the bulk of the work. To be honest it has been a huge chore and got neglected in times of family crisis. Now that I have more time to maintain and enjoy it I am wondering if we should get another. I'm even considering a possible in-ground. I am not sure if this is momentary insanity or if it makes sense at this age to jump "into the pool again". It is an expensive change to possibly regret.

We are in the Northeast with a dog that would enjoy it too. Not planning to travel much. Mostly short US trips.

What are your thoughts? What has your experience been like with retirement and pools?

TX!
I'd say go for it! I have friends how have one and it's lovely. Doesn't seem to be too much work at all.

I've only ever had above ground kiddie pools growing up in the city and always thought it would be so nice to have a beautiful in-ground pool in a lanai. Thinking about eventually relocating down south and a pool is certainly an option. Especially like the salt water pools.