Up in Chiang Mai...

WanderALot said:
Well, I'm certainly coming in on this thread late.  When exactly were you in Chiang Mai?  We were there from Nov. 26th till the 30th.  Had a wonderful time.  Took Air Asia from BKK and then took the train back slowly stopping at Sukkotai (by way of Philanstok) and Ayuthya.  Sukkotai was AMAZING!

Tell me more about Sukkotai!

pbrane said:
Lance:

I appreciate the (further) breakdown on the budget. But I didn't see an entry for ..."bar fines." (ha ha). But seriously, my budget would probably look very similar to yours, if I ever get off my duff and get over there.

Thanks again..

I think at 50+, Lancelot's a bit old to be getting into bar fights on a regular basis. I don't think that he needs to bail himself out of jail that often. :)

I think the phrase "bar fines" has more to do with lovin' than fightin'....if you get my drift

-pb

BunsOfVeal said:
I think at 50+, Lancelot's a bit old to be getting into bar fights on a regular basis. I don't think that he needs to bail himself out of jail that often. :)

You got that right; luckily for me, I can run faster than most of my adversaries :D

That brings back great memories! I was stationed there for a year with the USAF 1971-1972. I rented a large house/bungalow, four bedrooms, maids quarters, veranda, etc behind the Rimcom (? spelling) hotel from the hotel management. It was something like $100./mo. I shared it with two other guys and a live in maid. There were only about fifty of us G.I.s there along with a few DEA agents and consulate folks. I've always wanted to go back there and since retirement is coming up in less than two years now, just may do that!

retgi said:
That brings back great memories! I was stationed there for a year with the USAF 1971-1972.  I rented a large house/bungalow, four bedrooms, maids quarters, veranda, etc  behind the Rimcom (? spelling) hotel from the hotel management. It was something like $100./mo. I shared it with two other guys and a live in maid. There were only about fifty of us G.I.s there along with a few DEA agents and  consulate folks. I've always wanted to go back there and since retirement is coming up in less than two years now, just may do that!

Prices have increased a bit since then ::), but come on over! you won't regret it.

We just returned from 9 months in Thailand. The time goes by very fast - so trips back to the US (except for emergencies) once retired, become a moot point.

The waves in Phuket this time of year are awesome. Great for body surfing or regular long board surfing.. and they have jet skis (if that is your thing) boating, diving, snorkeling, etc.

Once you settle in... living is easy and affordable. (the way it 'should' be!)  :D

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Lancelot, Ben
I am definitely moving to Thailand in 5 years. That is when I will reach my FIRE. I will be 50. I am trying to figure out where I want to settle. My wife is from Ubon and I really like it up there. I have concerns however that in the long run I would be happier with some kind of English speaking community nearby (expats). Maybe a expat moo ban? Or near one?
What did you decide to do? Rent/build/own…. In the cities or near to one? BKK /Chiang Mai etc. Or are you in a small village in Issan?
What about heath care? I know of Bumrungrad International Hospital (hospitalized there once. excellent care!) But what about where you are? What do you do for medical Insurance? All the experts say self Insuring is very dangerous in retirement. As an American in a foreign country what is the tax situation for us back in the States? I am not retired so I don't know what I will be paying in retirement.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Back
Top Bottom