Volunteerism and FIRE

Like others, after recently retired I helped out (local hospice) but it became too regular and job-like. Their need was real but I wanted less structure, not more. Around the same time there was a local effort to give low income students an academic helping hand, but it didn't work out either.

Last edited:
For the time being (not yet FIREd), I'll just donate money. Might change as time goes on, but yeah, not looking for structure at this point...

We volunteer at the area nature centers where we spend a lot of time anyway. No set hours - we participate in special events. For example - each year we lead tours in the area butterfly festival.

Consider contributing your skills for special events.

There are lots of events in our area that need volunteers for short stints.

Last edited:
We volunteer at the area nature centers where we spend a lot of time anyway. No set hours - we participate in special events. For example - each year we lead tours in the area butterfly festival.

Consider contributing your skills for special events.

There are lots of events in our area that need volunteers for short stints.

Event related volunteering is a good idea.

Event related volunteering is a good idea.
Probably also worth mentioning, is that for our butterfly festival, tour leaders are paid. But DH and I were able to choose that our payment go directly to the butterfly center. So we donated in two ways!

When we lived in Central Texas, we would occasionally join the "Texas Trail Tamers", a trail building/repair volunteer group out of Austin Texas. They do a wide variety of weekend trips - some local, some within 100 miles, and some even multi-day camping trips to National Parks to work on their trails. The benefitting location often provides group facilities and more.

There is a huge range of possibilities.

Audrey

When we lived in Central Texas, we would occasionally join the "Texas Trail Tamers", a trail building/repair volunteer group out of Austin Texas. They do a wide variety of weekend trips - some local, some within 100 miles, and some even multi-day camping trips to National Parks to work on their trails. The benefitting location often provides group facilities and more.

This sounds pretty neat, at least when it's not too hot or too cold in Central Texas. Gives you something to do in March and November.... :LOL:

This sounds pretty neat, at least when it's not too hot or too cold in Central Texas. Gives you something to do in March and November.... :LOL:
Actually - the winter weather is so mild in the Austin area, that Dec-Feb are fine too.

**This message is not approved by the Texas Defamation League!

There is a huge range of possibilities.

Audrey

I need to add it to my list.

One more item I want to add is to clean up public places - pick up trash, paint over graffitti, etc..

I need to add it to my list.

One more item I want to add is to clean up public places - pick up trash, paint over graffitti, etc..
Yep - in many cities there are local campaigns to pick up trash - rivers, beaches, parks, etc. A little searching and you will find!

Yep - in many cities there are local campaigns to pick up trash - rivers, beaches, parks, etc. A little searching and you will find!

One of the trails where I bike is along a [-]storm drain[/-] creek, and the trash definitely detracts from the "nature" experience. But, frankly, all one has to do is start in picking up trash. No need for any "organization"...

I'm looking for volunteers to replace my gutters, front screen door and garage door. Positions may be extended to include putting down hardwood floors, regrouting tile, and remodeling the kitchen. Any takers? Just trying to be helpful to you bored old fogeys... *grin*

I'm looking for volunteers to replace my gutters, front screen door and garage door. Positions may be extended to include putting down hardwood floors, regrouting tile, and remodeling the kitchen. Any takers? Just trying to be helpful to you bored old fogeys... *grin*

You'd get more takers if you had a brewery....

One of the trails where I bike is along a [-]storm drain[/-] creek, and the trash definitely detracts from the "nature" experience. But, frankly, all one has to do is start in picking up trash. No need for any "organization"...
DH started doing this when he was out in state parks photographing along lakes and creeks. Bought a trash picker thingy. He tells me "fishermen are really trashy!!!"

DH started doing this when he was out in state parks photographing along lakes and creeks. Bought a trash picker thingy. He tells me "fishermen are really trashy!!!"

Humans in general are trashy, IMHO, of course...

O, oh, oh, oh, pick me, pick me, pick me ... oops, I have to retire first. :D

I volunteer at the local state park. Hands down, the fishermen are the biggest litter bugs. :(

There is always a need for help, regardless of your level of commitment.
I'm not sure that I agree with the latter sentiment. Many not-for-profit volunteer duties - particularly those that are 'front-line', i.e. service positions involving direct contact with the public - require a certain minimal commitment / consistency (e.g., every Tuesday morning from 10-12, or whatever). Frankly, 'dabblers' who think that they can drop in and out at their own convenience can sometimes be more trouble than they're worth.

Notwithstanding the above, I certainly sympathize with those who are reluctant to tie themselves down to a fixed schedule. As MichaelB and audreyh1 suggested, they might want to look into one-time volunteer opportunities, e.g. assisting at annual fundraisers or similar events. Although they must be prepared to register in advance and follow through on that commitment, it's typically only one day (or part of a day), for people not on the organizing committee.

hubby ... is very firm about not taking on Board leadership roles or administrative roles although he is frequently asked. He is my role model for knowing how to say "No".
This makes a lot of sense. Unless you are a take-charge, 'Type A' personality, supervisory/administration roles are probably best avoided because the responsibilities are virtually infinite and can (if you let them) take over your life. And if we wanted that, we would all still be on the job and at least getting a paycheque for the time and trouble!

I'd probably like to do some volunteering after I retire, but not for at least a couple years. The first couple years after I quit, I want it to be "me time".
Fair enough!

Last edited:
I volunteer at the local state park. Hands down, the fishermen are the biggest litter bugs. :(

Those people may go fishing, I wouldn't call them fishermen, or sportsmen. Thank you for your volunteer work.

MRG

Those people may go fishing, I wouldn't call them fishermen, or sportsmen. Thank you for your volunteer work.

MRG
You are right - they appear to be lower middle class guys with a fishing pole and some time on their hands. Sure wish they'd take their worm containers and soda cans with them. :(

Back
Top Bottom