Wandering

sooner

Dryer sheet wannabe
I recently retired from a large corporation as a skilled tradesman. I liked my job, worked alot of hours, made lots of money and would have worked a few more years but they were closing my plant and offered early incentives to go. So, after more than 35 years I left. Although I think it was the right choice to go, and really don't miss the work, I feel lost at times. I enjoy doing things at a more leisurely time, but sometimes it's seems I don't have anything accomplished, and it's not that there isn't enough to do. It's like so what if I do it today or not. At times I feel like I'm wasting time. DW wants to to travel some but I don't care to do that either. After 2 monthes I don't think it's time to get a part time job, but not sure.

Sooner, retirement is a major life event. Work is both an economic and a social activity. Feeling lost and depressed, particularly when this life change didn't happen on your time table is not unusual.

If you are inclined, see a counselor. If not then seek a temporary job while you plan with your wife a trip that you will both enjoy. If money isn't an issue, and if your craft suitable, volunteer to build/repair homes for low income families through a local non-profit.

Volounteering is one of the most satisfying things I do, & I look forward to doing more of it when I RE in 4 months. I work with a great bunch of committed people, professional & lay, at a free clinic, & it's not only interesting but fun. Definitely a highlight of my week.

There's no lack of opportunity: as one of the other vols said (a retired airline captain) "There's all kinds of work available if you're willing to work for free."

You need a reason to get up & put your pants on every day; doing something you enjoy & know is helpful to others - whatever your skills, interests, or inclinations - is a great way to do it.

I am not retired and am still working part time.  Nevertheless, I have noticed some of what you are talking about--plenty to do but no urgency to get it done.  So not much gets done.  I am leaning towards making more of a schedule for myself.  I tend towards sloth so I feel better if I try to schedule my activities.  I started this week by starting the day at the gym.  It has felt good to start the day with exercise and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me.

If you are interested in volunteering and don't know where to start, here is a good site for finding volunteer opportunities in many communities:

http://www.networkforgood.org/volunteer/?source=GOOGLE&cmpgn=AWVO

Great suggestions from everyone here. i just retired too, unexpectedly. Fortunately i have a consulting gig with my previous employer for the rest of this year and i have started a new business too. Even with all that frantic activity i see some differences in myself in just 2 months. Sleeping 30 minutes later, starting "work" a bit later, getting involved in household stuff during the day. Makes me nervous some times about slacking off, although i think i will prevail.

Couple of my friends have ER'd and since they are all very handy, have started small contracting businesses. Very satisying work and they only take on jobs that they want to work on. Don't know what your trade is, but presumably you have to be handy!

Good luck

Wandering,

I second the opinion on volunteer work. Whatever your interest and skills there is a need for volunteers. I find the work to be satisfying and it helps me put things in perspcective. What is really important and what is not.

Just my two cents.

2soon

Having both a sense of accomplishment and a direction of your efforts make a big difference in how you feel about yourself.

Maybe you could organize the things you want to get done or skills you want to learn and places you want to visit. This will give you direction. Then again, maybe you are not a  'list' person.

I agree with the volunteering aspect. Nothing like giving of yourself to put things in perspective.

Good luck to you.
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Martha said:
I am not retired and am still working part time.  Nevertheless, I have noticed some of what you are talking about--plenty to do but no urgency to get it done.  So not much gets done.  I am leaning towards making more of a schedule for myself.  I tend towards sloth so I feel better if I try to schedule my activities.  I started this week by starting the day at the gym.  It has felt good to start the day with exercise and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me.
Au contraire, a tremendous amount gets done-- it just wasn't on the list! The urgent or timely stuff gets done (nobody starves and the bills get paid), but ERs can't complain about how their workload or their boss or their commute kept their mandated tasks from happening on schedule.

I didn't ER to chain myself to a list. I enjoy being able to bring up the surf forecast, smile "Cowabunga!" and decide that whatever I was planning to do this morning is now deferred in favor of surfing.

I also enjoy opening my e-mail, reacting "Gee, I haven't heard from them in years!" and knowing that I have the time to spend a leisurely hour or two on an update or some other topic. Or losing myself on the Scientific American or Business Week websites for a couple hours, let alone a good book while I'm stretching.

I like Philip Greenspun's ruminations on time management-- scroll halfway down the page to the "Time Management" section for specifics.

Nords, I like Greenspun's site.

Summers I am fine. I have my gardens and activities, more to do than I have time for. Winters are my problem. I can seem myself crawling under a blanket eating bon bons and reading novels, coming out in the spring weighing an extra 50 pounds. So, I have to discipline myself. Get up. Go exercise. Eat figs and nuts and spinach. Etc. Sometimes I wonder if I don't have a touch of seasonal affective disorder. :-\

Martha said:
Sometimes I wonder if I don't have a touch of seasonal affective disorder.  :-\
Martha, I think many people who live in the North do. My mood went to hell last week when it was raining and dark all the time, and I knew that this was just a taste of what is to come. I was actually reduced to trying to calculate how may summers I might have left. Not how many years, how many summers.

I think this year I will try one of those light boxes that are supposed to lift your mood in the winter.

I don’t stop moving, or eat too much, but I am definitely not as light hearted in winter.

Ha

HaHa said:
I think this year I will try one of those light boxes that are supposed to lift your mood in the winter.

If youtry this, let me know how it workd for you. I definately have a touch of this, although it isn't quite as bad since I no longer work in a windowless office. :p

Martha said:

Winters are my problem. 

Winters are tough, especially when it gets cloudy and overcast for 30 or 40 days in a row. Just getting out the full specturm bulb and cleaning up the cross country skies, boots and poles to get ready.

Winters can be depressing even in non-cold climates. Wake up in the mornings to get ready for work, it is dark. Get off work at 5:00pm, and it is almost dark.

One more working winter for me. As a retiree, I will get up later after the sun is up and then start my day. Winter days will still be short, but I will have plenty of time to enjoy the sunshine we do have.  8)

DOG52 said:
Winters can be depressing even in non-cold climates. Wake up in the mornings to get ready for work, it is dark. Get off work at 5:00pm, and it is almost dark.

What is your latitude down there?

I noticed a huge difference between where I am now, 48+, and Southern California, or even the Bay Area, which I think is about 38-39 deg N.

Ha

Martha said:

From north of the 49th parallel......the incidence of SAD in Canada has been estimated at 25%. Light boxes DO work; I have used one in winter for years.

Ok I'll bite - after thirty years in New Orleans and now heading into my second winter in Missouri.

What the heck is a light box:confused:

heh heh heh heh heh

Thanks

Now I got the idea. Suspected it might be something along those lines.

heh heh heh

Would anyone who has used one of these comment on the different designs or brands, ease of use, effectiveness. etc?

Ha

Martha said:
That's one of the reasons I live here...

Nords: Naaaaa. She has Greg Affective Disorder. :D

Things sure seem to move quickly in retirement. Since my first post I had a job offer in the field I retired from. This made me realize that I don't want to work in the field anymore and I also don't want full time work at all. Also, many of you mention volunteering. I always have been private type, not a joiner. But my wife volunteers with Meals on Wheels and it seems like a good thing for me to get into. It's actually excitng.

sooner said:
Things sure seem to move quickly in retirement. Since my first post I had a job offer in the field I retired from. This made me realize that I don't want to work in the field anymore and I also don't want full time work at all. Also, many of you mention volunteering. I always have been private type, not a joiner. But my wife volunteers with Meals on Wheels and it seems like a good thing for me to get into. It's actually excitng.

My FIL was not a joiner type at all, but volunteered with meals on wheels and really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom