Wearing Shoes in the House

Wearing shoes indoors here in Estonia is a big No No. Everyone has little house slippers to wear while inside. And it makes sense especially here as the long snowy winters mean the shoes are usually wet.

But I grew up in the country in rural Virginia and we never gave a second thought to wearing shoes in the house so long as they weren't muddy or wet.

Shoes off for me, because if I hate shoes! But I don't expect it of anyone else (although they're certainly welcome to!)

fussy asian here - no shoes in the house - they are in the garage on several shoe shelves, in boxes etc.

the cable guy or furniture delivery person are not asked to take off their shoes, guests are, except if it is a party, and it is impractical, we just clean the floor immediately after they leave.

at least we have wood floors, carpet i'd have anxiety if people were just scrapin off the manure at the door! hehe

my sister's caucasian boyfriend still regularly forgets to take his shoes off at the door and we stare at our sister, until she reminds him - she apparently has tended towards keeping hers on now too!

the shoes on thing explains the mad housewives on shows like wife swap that vacuum every day - what waste of time!

I grew up on a farm in a very rural area. Everyone wore shoes in the house. The back door to our house had a metal scraper inbedded into the cement step. You scraped the manure off your shoes and went inside. No big deal.

I made city friends when I went to college and discovered many new things, like broccoli, controlled substances, radical politics, and taking shoes off when you went into a home.

That's funny Martha. My mom was born and raised on a farm in the midwest. I remember that as a kid, the easiest way to get swat from grandma was to even consider wearing your shoes in the house. I think even my grandfather was afraid of what would happen to him if got a speck of dirt in that house.

As for me, my wife doesn't allow shoes in the house either. I don't mind taking them off, it's more confortable anyway and it makes peace in the house.

That's funny Martha. My mom was born and raised on a farm in the midwest. I remember that as a kid, the easiest way to get swat from grandma was to even consider wearing your shoes in the house. I think even my grandfather was afraid of what would happen to him if got a speck of dirt in that house.

As for me, my wife doesn't allow shoes in the house either. I don't mind taking them off, it's more confortable anyway and it makes peace in the house.

Well I was mostly raised by old men. :)

No shoes allowed in the house. I have no problem telling my guests to take off their shoes. We have extra pairs of slippers for them. :D

We were haphazard shoes off people for the first 13 years in the current house, and less than weekly vacuumers. We've always had two dogs too. Hardwood floors got trashed after about 6 years and got progressively darker for the next 7. About 5 years ago we sanded and urethaned the floors, added rugs and runners in the highest traffic areas, and implemented the shoes off in the house rule. Dogs are walled off in new tiled entryway or banished to concrete floor basement until they've cleaned their feet. Also began paying for a housecleaner biweekly. The floors still look great. Guests take one look at our nice home and all the shoes piled up in the entryway and kick their own off too.

When I was working I would usually keep my shoes on at home... I didn't want to hassle with shoes every time I left to take the garbage out or water the plants outside.

But when I FIRE'd I would typically spend more time at home, and got to really liking the cleaner floors and comfort of no shoes. So now "No shoes" is the standard, although I don't bother asking guests to take off their shoes.

Now that I'm selling my condo, it's a tough call... on the one hand I have new light carpet installed that I want to keep clean, but on the other hand walking around barefoot you feel every little irregularity in the foundation under the carpet, which doesn't seem reassuring. Also I've noticed that people without shoes tend to not go out on the patio to enjoy the views. So I'm thinking of encouraging people to leave their shoes on now!

that's what house slippers are for!

if you've ever been to an asian market you'll notice they are flowing out of bins in the grocery store, or wherever - for about $2-3 bucks. You're out of luck if you have big feet though cuz the boyz slippers max out around size 11 and girls around size 8...

I sometimes wonder at people who have a no shoes policy, but have big hairy pawed dogs walking all over everything.

I suspect that sometimes it's just a demonstration of dominance.

Ha

I have only been a couple of houses where people didn't wear shoes. I take mine off because I don't like wearing shoes but not every time I come in.
I might try it with the next house when I retire. I will have a house built with a mud room/bathroom. Then when running in and out all day you can at least go to the bathroom without taking off shoes. My boyfriend's mom has an enclosed porch and didn't allow shoes in the dining room for anyone except me because I bought her new dining room carpet for Christmas, most shoes were left on the porch because it was a farm and near the beach, sandy clothes weren't allowed in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom