What are your plans for when you're unable to make sound decisions?

You guys pretty much listed what my wife and I have already done...POA's, lists in deposit box for trustees/executer, etc.

One thing you guys did forget, (which we already have made up in the deposit box), is your obituary! Who else could do such a good job?

One thing you guys did forget, (which we already have made up in the deposit box), is your obituary! Who else could do such a good job?
I've drafted both mine and spouse's-- and my version of hers should hasten her half-hearted commitment to submit her own draft to the archives.

My wife plans on living til she's a hundred, me probably not. I plan on not having to worry about it, oddly enough so, seemingly, does she. One of us is probably going to be SOL.

One thing you guys did forget, (which we already have made up in the deposit box), is your obituary!

Other than the estate "legal notice", at least for me, there will be none.

Goes along with my wishes for "burial". It will be at a site about 50 miles away that does "natural burial". That is, your ashes are put in an environmental box and placed at the base of an established tree.

May sound funny, but you can get a "family tree" :cool: where you and your relatives can "reside" till you're "consumed" :rolleyes: . The only thing that records your life on this earth is a small tag on the tree, with your name.

Another thing is that the ashes of my pets (ok, I'm strange) will also be put around the same tree for "recycling". Sure, they could go in your casket, but there is no need to buy a "box" that dosen't mean much to me.

That's the least I can do to reduce my "footprint" on this earth (didn't know me before I got here - won't remember me after I'm gone). That's why an obit dosen't mean much, either.

- Ron

At that point in time, I will be in the "I couldn't care less" category. :rolleyes:

An extended family member is going through this right now (mom's 1st cousin; 65 yrs old, never married; no kids).

He's been a drinker his entire life and it's finally caught up to him - he's had several mini-strokes over the past few years and he's reached the point where he's confused most days about where he is, who the relatives are, etc. Unfortunately, mom's brothers and sisters (my uncles and aunts) decided to take matters into their own hands and, after wrapping up his legal affairs here, they shipped him off to the country of his birth in Eastern Europe so that his own aging sister could deal with him. Problem however was that dear old sis is not so young anymore and is taking care of her own disabled husband. Plus, he has a stubborn streak and doesn't like being told what to do, told not to drink, etc. so he decides to come back to Canada. So, now he's back at the hospital since he has no place to go (aunts and uncles got rid of his apartment along with most of his things).

Very said situation. None of the extended family want to look after him because it's like looking after a small child. I think he should buy one of those apartments where it's an assisted-living facility with meals provided and a nurse and doctor on call. Problem is he's too cheap and he wants to live on his own (which won't work because he wonders off down the street and it's just a matter of time before he gets killed by a car). He's financially well off but is too cheap to pay for an assisted living facility AND he thinks everyone in the family is after his money.

Don't know how this will work out but I don't think it's going to have a happy ending at all.

Back
Top Bottom