Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #7921
Administrator

Oof! I feel your pain. I hate those check engine lights.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #7922
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nothing so far that has affected how the truck runs, but the recurring trips to the dealer have become a real PITA.
I've lost count of the different cars I've owned over the years and have been fortunate to have never owned a lemon. Sure hope the law of averages hasn't finally caught up with me...
Seems to me the dealer should offer to send a mechanic along during your next trailer-towing travels.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #7923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Seems to me the dealer should offer to send a mechanic along during your next trailer-towing travels.
We have a two week, 2,200 mile trip planned for July. I hope we don't get a side-tour of local dealer service departments along the route. I understand their camping facilities aren't all that great...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #7924
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
I picked up my new truck (2,800 miles on the odometer) from dealer service department today after having a part replaced due to a second a 'check engine' light. The first problem involved replacing the ignition interlock and this time they replaced the catalytic converter. Ten miles after leaving the service bay, the light came on again. I took it back and they cleared the code, test drove it, checked the connections on the work they'd done but couldn't reproduce the problem
It's nothin' a little electrical tape won't solve.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #7925

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Not to make you jealous (after all, you DID get a good buy) but our town dump - oops, transfer station - has an exchange area where 2 and 4 drawer file cabinets are frequently available for the taking. I've gotten several there over the years. If you see one with a few scratches or dents that you don't like, you just wait until a better one comes along.
I've done the same thing. It reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if... You've gone to the dump and come back with more stuff than you brought."
Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #7926
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are so many that here that check out the transfer station it frequently looks like a desert watering hole.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #7927
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
There are so many that here that check out the transfer station it frequently looks like a desert watering hole.
We're not allowed to take anything from the dump around here. I've never understood why. Freecycling is one of the purest forms of recycling there is. Even the guys that work there supposedly can't take anything. I'm sure some things accidently fall into their truck beds from time to time, though.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #7928
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We're not allowed to take anything from the dump around here. I've never understood why. Freecycling is one of the purest forms of recycling there is. Even the guys that work there supposedly can't take anything. I'm sure some things accidently fall into their truck beds from time to time, though.
We're not allowed to do that, either! I'm beginning to feel like we are missing something, here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #7929
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We're not allowed to do that, either! I'm beginning to feel like we are missing something, here.
Again not to rub it in, but you are definitely missing something (at least IMO) if you don't have an exchange (sometimes called `take it or leave it' or, in wealthy towns like mine, just `The Mall') area at your local dump. Some towns in this area just don't bother, and a couple had those areas but did away with them. It does take some time and effort for the transfer station workers to monitor and manage a place for items with some value still left in them - ostensibly nothing broken nor merely trash - for recycling.

To me, if you have to haul your own trash to the dump, you might as well have some fun while doing it by scrounging through other people's garbage to see if you can find something useful. I've found tons of things - especially toys for the grands - over the years. One time I found a complete, unused (still in the package) set of side window visors for my Maxima. And I have more slot cars sets than I, my kids and grandkids, and their kids down the road will EVER be able to use.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #7930
Give me a forum ...

I agree. Landfills are where I used to find my girlie magazines when I was a lad. What do the kids do these days? Oh yeah, the internet.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #7931
Give me a forum ...

I have spent a very frustrating 4 hours trying to set up my new wireless multifunction printer (Brother MFC-9320W). It just won't talk to my computer. I have turned off all the firewalls. I have reinstalled the software and put in the IP address of my router, and rearranged my equipment to bring the router as close as possible to the printer, but nothing seems to work. Unfortunately all the help lines are now closed as they are focused on Eastern time. I'm sure there is a simple fix but it will have to wait till tomorrow. Bummer!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #7932

My wireless Brother printer had to be connected to the router by USB cable while the installation was going on. After install was complete the USB connection was removed. It was a small note in the instructions and could be easily missed.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #7933
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
My wireless Brother printer had to be connected to the router by USB cable while the installation was going on. After install was complete the USB connection was removed. It was a small note in the instructions and could be easily missed.
Thanks Nodak. I did that, and no, it was not at all obvious in the manual! But no joy. I've had enough for this evening and will sleep on it and get technical help in the morning.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #7934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Google's Streetview vehicle passed in front of the place while we were working. I wonder how long it takes for them to process the imagery and get it up on the Maps website.
I saw the Google car twice in one day in 2008. I kept checking for our area to show up and it was about 5 months later that it was updated.

I'm there, parked in my car, at my crossing guard corner. The 2nd place where I saw it was not included.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #7935
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have spent a very frustrating 4 hours trying to set up my new wireless multifunction printer (Brother MFC-9320W). It just won't talk to my computer. I have turned off all the firewalls. I have reinstalled the software and put in the IP address of my router, and rearranged my equipment to bring the router as close as possible to the printer, but nothing seems to work. Unfortunately all the help lines are now closed as they are focused on Eastern time. I'm sure there is a simple fix but it will have to wait till tomorrow. Bummer!
No service from Brother today as they are based in Quebec and it's a statutory holiday there (St. Jean Baptiste Day). The lack of a printer/scanner/fax is really impacting on my ability to get things done, so I bit the bullet and called the local franchise of Geeks on the Way. Very pleasant and knowledgeable guy arrived within 90 minutes, and it took him almost 2 hours to set everything up. It turns out that my (LBYM, i.e. old), laptop is so old that the drivers were written before they had wireless networks. And anyhow, setting up this device is way more complicated than the manual suggests. There is no way that I could have solved all the issues myself and no way that a remote phone call would have solved this. It's up and running now and the money was well spent. At least it's a legitimate business expense.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #7936
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
No service from Brother today as they are based in Quebec and it's a statutory holiday there (St. Jean Baptiste Day). The lack of a printer/scanner/fax is really impacting on my ability to get things done, so I bit the bullet and called the local franchise of Geeks on the Way. Very pleasant and knowledgeable guy arrived within 90 minutes, and it took him almost 2 hours to set everything up. It turns out that my (LBYM, i.e. old), laptop is so old that the drivers were written before they had wireless networks. And anyhow, setting up this device is way more complicated than the manual suggests. There is no way that I could have solved all the issues myself and no way that a remote phone call would have solved this. It's up and running now and the money was well spent. At least it's a legitimate business expense.
I'm so glad you managed to resolve the problem! I have a Brother wireless laser printer that I bought in 2005, and I had trouble setting up the wireless too. I wasn't feeling patient enough to put much effort into it and didn't get anywhere in my attempts to set it up. So, instead of using the wireless connection I just walk over there with the laptop and plug in the USB cable to my laptop when I want to print. I don't print very often so that seems to work for me. But if I needed it for business as you do, I'd have been tearing my hair out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #7937
Give me a forum ...

I was readying my boat in the driveway for launch once it stops raining and thundering, and did my usual pre-launch check of the blower and horn and a quick key to start position check. Nothing. The shop where I have it winterized and store it had fully charged the battery just a few weeks ago. It started up just fine then. Hmmmmm...
So I took it back to the shop today. They did a diagnostic with a current meter to see what was drainihg the battery, and they discovered that the AUTO bilge switch was stuck in the ON position. That was disabled, leaving me manual control of the bilge from the driver's console. They again tried to charge the battery, and it would not hold a charge. The battery is 6 years old.
So I authorized a new marine battery purchase and installation. I will hear from them tomorrow.
Launch is scheduled for Sunday, the first rain free day in the forecast.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #7938

Yesterday was catching up on "taking stuff to recycle" day. We filled half the pickup truck with old books, instructional materials, an old keyboard, UPS unit, and I suppose it's safe to throw out my DOS 5.0 manual. DW has been wanting this done for about five years so she's happy.

Oh boy, a new toy!

Nikon D7000 DSLR. This is one a professional photographer might carry as a backup, and has more bells & whistles than I knew a camera could have. It is going to take a month or more to figure out how best to use these capabilities.

Right off the bat I notice that finally, a digital camera with no shutter lag, which is that half-second or so between the time the shutter button is pressed and the shutter opens. And it can crank out 6 frames per second, terrific for fast-moving subjects like sports, little kids, racing, air shows and the like so you can get "the shot" that is over in less than half a second.

Even with just the kit lens I'm impressed with the color and clarity.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #7939
Give me a forum ...

Slept in late this morning as DH and I had a late supper last night. Yesterday was our 34th wedding anniversary. Scallops, asparagus with spinach ravioli, wine and chocolate cake with strawberries were consumed.

Mmmm...there's leftover chocolate cake in the refrigerator calling my name....
Old 06-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #7940
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, bbbami! We'll be hitting 32 years in a couple of months. It's amazing you can be married to someone for so long that it feels like it's always been that way, and at the same time feel like you can't possibly be old enough to be married that long. Nice celebration too! And here I don't know people in North Texas even knew about scallops.

Closed Thread