Status
Not open for further replies.
Henna tattoo from yesterday.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1455485330384.jpg
    1455485330384.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 35
It was 5 below zero when I got up this morning. When left to go to church, the car said "nope." So I had to get the young wife's car out of the garage and jump mine. I guess its getting to be time for a new battery. This one is 8 years old.

You have a better story than I... Yesterday morning I started to go out and could not find my keys (senior moment:confused:). I finally decided to check and see if I left them in the Jeep. Yep. They were in the ignition in the "on" position. You guessed it. Dead battery. No problem though. My sports car was in my garage and facing the Jeep. Just pull it out and an easy jump. Nope. Sports car had a dead battery. :facepalm: I had to walk up the hill and get the plow truck, run it through a snow berm to where I could jump the Jeep. Got it going and after it charged for a while, jumped the sports car and let it run for a while.

All that pretty well covered the morning. I used to hate having to chalk this kind of thing up to me just being somewhat absent minded. Now I can call them "senior moments"! I like that much better. :LOL:

DW and I went to lunch with a long time friend who taught me to fly in 1975. He's a year younger than me and is not a candidate for ER - loves his job, gets along well with coworkers, and says company management treats everyone well. He's an aircraft mechanic and flight instructor, teaches part time, and recently bought a project airplane to rebuild, a 1930's Taylorcraft. He's currently finishing up repairs to a Cessna 182RG that landed gear up, an expensive repair, and showed us that.

He recently had his 15 minutes of fame when AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association) published an article on him and a repair to a light airplane. We spent a good two hours at a restaurant just catching up.

Oh, BTW, he's the pilot of the airplane in my avatar.

Last edited:
I decided to change up the morning routine and instead of our normal 2-mile loop through the neighborhood, I took our little dog on what I thought would be a nice walk on a trail at a nearby park. The reviews warned about the trail crossing a creek several times, but said many well-placed rocks made the crossings not a big deal, and it hasn't rained here for 6 weeks so I figured we'd be fine. Ha.

Well...my sneakers got wet at the first crossing, and I got lots of practice balancing precariously on small rocks as we progressed. I soon realized that hiking shoes would have been a better choice, as my sneakers slid on the wet rocks. But we enjoyed meeting lots of folks out for a holiday morning stroll, many with kids and dogs. I decided to forego the last 3/4 mile and turn around early, which was a good thing, because when we got back to the parking lot, I realized that the car key was no longer in my front pocket. Yikes!

I figured it had fallen out in one of my inelegant moves at a crossing, so faithful dog and I retraced our steps. In the meantime, I texted DH and asked him to bring my spare key. After looking at all the crossings several times, I realized I had taken a different route across one of them the first time, and sure enough, there was the key in the water between a big rock and the shore. Since it's one of those electronic key fobs, I was pretty sure it would be toast after an hour+ in the drink, but when I got back to the car, it actually worked fine. Called DH and told him to turn around. When I got home, I opened the case so that it could dry out. I'll put it back together tomorrow and hopefully it will be fine. So our nice little 2 mile walk turned into a 4 mile adventure. Dog really needs a bath but figured he was already traumatized enough so I'll do that tomorrow.

Finished a report and registered for a conference for one of my volunteer gigs. Made Swiss steak for dinner tonight - it's simmering in the Dutch oven now. Choir practice after dinner. I'm tired just writing this!

Reactions: W2R
Plowed yesterday's 4" snowfall from our driveway so that DW would have a clear drive to exercise class. Ran on the treadmill, went to the chiro, did some yoga, and spent the afternoon napping.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Played dodge kiddies at the skating rink. There were about 40 + a few adults, as it happens on most school days out.

Excellent practice for keeping track of simultaneous multiple [-]targets[/-] fast moving little ones and enhancing my extra sensory perception of ones out of my filed of view.

Succeded with zero collisions over two hours. Just a few near misses requiring instant stops or spin outs for avoiding wiping out the little tykes.

.... Went out to dinner and then to a concert by the young Italian trio "Il Volo". A very nice day.

Don't understand Italian, yet appreciate their performance

I like to skate to this tune, a Pavarotti version.

Last edited:
That is a great performance, and one I have not heard before. The lyrics are in Spanish, not Italian.

Gym day, was going to return some books to the library but they wimped out with the 3" of snow/ice we got and were closed. Stop by the grocery store and then home.

DW spent a couple of hours shoveling ice/snow (snow thrower wouldn't have worked anyway on the ice) but knowing the weather was going to be much warmer I took the Marion Barry approach to snow removal.* By 4:00 PM all the ice and snow was gone.

*Marion Barry, former mayor of Washington, D.C. was in FL during a particularly heavy snowfall, which the city roads department handled badly. Asked by a reporter what his snow removal plan was, he replied "Spring".

I took the Marion Barry approach to snow removal.*
*Marion Barry, former mayor of Washington, D.C. was in FL during a particularly heavy snowfall, which the city roads department handled badly. Asked by a reporter what his snow removal plan was, he replied "Spring".

Where I come from, that was referred to as the John Lindsay method of snow removal. Lindsay, when mayor of NYC, was raked over the coals for woefully inadequate snow removal after a major storm in the late 60s, and his reply was "God put it there, and God will take it away."

That is a great performance, and one I have not heard before. The lyrics are in Spanish, not Italian.

OOOppps!. Well, that proves I don't understand Spanish either. I know a few Spanish words, they were not in song.

Dropped the kids at the bus stop on my way to walk the pooch at the beach.
Wanted more exercise so used the elliptical. Spent a few hours reading a mystery novel I'd picked up at the library. Picked up the kids at the bus stop, took them to the library and herded them through piano practice/homework. (Older one is still working on homework.)

Fish for dinner tonight - yum. Mahi mahi.

Tonight younger son has basketball practice so I'll chauffeur him there and back.

(Our neighborhood is not well served by the public bus - the bus stop is more than a mile away.... it saves ME time to have them take the bus, so I accommodate them with pickup/drop off from the stop.)

Went skiing today. It was a good day. Warm with nice packed powder. One knee is a little sore. It will be fine in time for the next day of skiing.

ROMEO meeting at the local Burger King started with a serving of Manny Randazzo King Cake, flown in from New Orleans by UPS especially for us (haha).

https://www.randazzokingcake.com/

We have a New Orleans member and he was nice enough to spring for the $52 to acquire the cake. With the sugar high from the cake, I am set for the day! :LOL:

reg_cake__18644.jpg

ROMEO meeting at the local Burger King started with a serving of Manny Randazzo King Cake, flown in from New Orleans by UPS especially for us (haha).

We have a New Orleans member and he was nice enough to spring for the $52 to acquire the cake. With the sugar high from the cake, I am set for the day! :LOL:

View attachment 23257

Can I assume you didn't give up sweets for Lent this year? :D

I love Randazzo's King Cakes! :dance: They are the Real Thing.

Didn't have any this year, though. Trying to drop a few pounds or at least not gain.

What is a King Cake? Is it bread or like a coffee cake?

Working in the shop today. Cutting out a small stool on the CNC machine, think I finally have the plan and jig figured out.

We did stop down at our river camp this morning to check how high the water was flowing. River is at the 10ft stage, flood stage is 15ft. In the picture, the tree that is fully surrounded is usually about 5 feet from the waters edge, our dock would be under about 5ft of water if it was still in the water. This is runoff from the over 30" of snow we had last week along with a heavy rain yesterday. The river has crested and was already back down over a foot this afternoon according to the NOAA website.

Attachments

• camptoday.JPG
    camptoday.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 20
What is a King Cake? Is it bread or like a coffee cake?

Right here:

The King Cake is a fluffy cinnamon flavored sweet Danish dough that is hand-braided, topped with Mardi Gras colored sugar, baked and iced with our famous fluffy white icing and topped with the purple/green/yellow sprinkles. New Orleans, Louisiana is considered the King Cake capital of the World, due to its large Mardi Gras tradition. The King Cake can also be filled with various fillings such as cream cheese, apple, lemon, strawberry, or our New Orleans Times-Picayune award winning “Pecan Praline” King Cake.

The King Cake tradition is thought to have been brought to New Orleans from France in 1870. A King Cake is an oval-shaped bakery delicacy, crossed between a coffee cake and a French pastry that is as rich in history as it is in flavor. It's decorated in royal colors of PURPLE which signifies "Justice," GREEN for "Faith," and GOLD for "Power." These colors were chosen to resemble a jeweled crown honoring the Wise Men who visited the Christ Child on Epiphany. In the past such things as coins, beans, pecans, or peas were also hidden in each King Cake.

Today, a tiny plastic baby is the common prize. At a party, the King Cake is sliced and served. Each person looks to see if their piece contains the "baby." If so, then that person is named "King" for a day and bound by custom to host the next party and provide the King Cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom