What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked my part-time job yesterday in the testing lab at the local rock quarry. Spent a couple hours first thing unfreezing the water line. Then a workout sampling, hauling and testing large quantities of drain rock since that’s the only product our contractors are buying right now.

Filling in again tomorrow for the full-time guy who is on vacation this week.

Taking DS to local French restaurant for his birthday lunch.
They have a large outside covered, screened and heated dining area and we are all vaxxed/boosted, masks required here.

After large Roth conversions in the 4th qtr, I paid my quarterly estimated taxes of $80k….ouch! I guess I’ll have a little extra paperwork on my taxes for this year.

Cold and wintery day so took wife to her volunteer work she does. I shoveled a skiff of snow again and will work on a 2x4x2 raised platform for a small cattle trough that will hold water for her plants.
The plumbed in water is on the opposite side on property and will fill this from the well. I will work on the spigot on bottom side of trough and will attach a 20-foot hose for watering her plants.
She will be ready come spring and today is the first day of wintah.

I got my seed order in from Burpee today. Only 8 weeks until I start the celery, cabbage and poblanos indoors, 10 until starting parsley, kale and broccoli indoors and about 12 until I start my peas outdoors (always on St. Patrick's Day).

I dropped by the new-ish Scwhab brick and mortar office in my area to transfer my account there. Up until recently, the nearest Schwab office was three hours away. Since I don't really have a need for a real office I hadn't really worried about it, but I figured what the heck, I might have a need for a physical presence or a face-to-face encounter some day.

It was fun when he asked me how much our household's accounts were worth. I bear no resemblance to the stereotypical image of a millionaire and he visibly reacted when I told him. :LOL:

Made a last minute trip for a couple of groceries and pet treats. Treats were on "sale" for 25% off so I got a bunch. I spend a lot on dehydrated minnows and the new favorite dehydrated cod skins. Cod skin has replaced duck jerky as the puppies favorite.

Folks are getting ready for a hopefully large snow storm over Christmas and a couple more days so it was busy in the grocery store.

Came home and sold a couple options for next Friday expiry. Took out some cash from one IRA to pay our taxes and sold a dog in our taxable account. Think all our taxable events have happened for this year[emoji4].

Early AM routine Dr. follow-up appointment followed by a minor grocery run on the way home. I had a hankering for a big salad in spite of the cold weather so maybe I'm running low on micronutrients or something like that. Anyway, we now have enough to last us both for a week.

Then a friend from the R/C club came by (scheduled a few days ago) for help setting up and programing the receiver on one airplane and getting another one to recognize the transmitter. The second one was easily done but the first one is going to need some small but necessary parts that I didn't have and we found a defective servo and replaced that. I have a bunch of spares and had one that fit so I just gave it to him. He'll get the needed stuff and we'll program the receiver after Christmas.

Yesterday I decided today would be a great day to burn. Wind was about 3mph and mid 30's.
I have had paperwork done a few weeks back so everything was setup and just had to let them know 2 hours before I light the match. Everything went well, I started at 8am and got done at 4pm. I burned a lot of old wood and a huge brush pile. One more brush pile left to do.
The deer came down a few times to feed on the alfalfa while I was working. They didn't mind me, and I didn't mind them.

Attachments

• IMG_8494.jpg
    IMG_8494.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8517.jpg
    IMG_8517.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8524.jpg
    IMG_8524.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8512.jpg
    IMG_8512.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 57
Smoked a full turkey breast for Christmas and two half chicken breasts - one to save for New Year's Brunch (butternut squash and smoked chicken hash with poached egg on top) and one to freeze for something else in the next few months.

Last minute grocery pick up for the holiday weekend. I do not plan to go out of the house for the next 3 days!It may be more if we get the snow they forecast. :-(.
Loved snow as a kid, not so much as an adult.

We got snow in the night, so I shoveled this morning. It's always fun to have snow on the ground for Christmas.

We got snow in the night, so I shoveled this morning. It's always fun to have snow on the ground for Christmas.

Here, it's 75F and sunny right now. I like that even better than shoveling snow..... :LOL: Each to his/her own. :)

We're going out to lunch as soon as I get dressed.

DW is sick. Had a Dr visit online yesterday and he prescribed steroids, antibiotics and some other med for her throat. We are trying to get a Covid test done today (she has had both shots and the booster). Her breathing is not good, even with 4 litres of O2 constantly. Plus, she banged her shin on the corner of the bed and it is as big as a football. Christmas with the kids tomorrow is off.

Since it's going to be 82 f tomorrow and for the next 10 days or so, I'll work in the yard tomorrow if DW is stable, getting it ready for winter, if it shows up this coming year.

Here, it's 75F and sunny right now. I like that even better than shoveling snow..... [emoji23] Each to his/her own. :)

We're going out to lunch as soon as I get dressed.
[emoji4]
I woke up to fresh 8" or so. It's still snowing. They're calling for snow today and the next nine days, projecting several feet of snow! It's a tough forecast because it may be rain or drizzle depending on altitude. Right now we're getting all snow. Our local team's last forcast says 3-4' where we live and twice that in the mountains..[emoji16] It's a good thing as that's our water for next year.

I have run the snowblower twice already, once after the grader went through. DW insisted I put the trash out, I think it is a really bad idea. I think the grader is going to come back and bury our trash. I'm guessing DW will not be digging it out no matter if I suggest it.

Last edited:
DW is sick. Had a Dr visit online yesterday and he prescribed steroids, antibiotics and some other med for her throat. We are trying to get a Covid test done today (she has had both shots and the booster). Her breathing is not good, even with 4 litres of O2 constantly. Plus, she banged her shin on the corner of the bed and it is as big as a football. Christmas with the kids tomorrow is off.

Since it's going to be 82 f tomorrow and for the next 10 days or so, I'll work in the yard tomorrow if DW is stable, getting it ready for winter, if it shows up this coming year.

I wish you both a great Holiday and hope DW feels better.

Hope your DW recovers quickly!

Woke up early and DH and I took our home covid tests. My sister and her 2 houseguests also took tests this morning, and a good friend had a PCR test done Wed for tonight's dinner. If anyone in our house had tested positive we would have cancelled dinner. If my sister or guests had tested positive we might have cancelled - unless the positive person stayed home. All were negative so we went shopping for the fish for 7 fishes tonight. Came home with fingers crossed that younger son, who's here on college break, would also test negative. Thankfully, he did. (He was asleep when we left for the stores.)

Costco opened at 9am - and I was queued up at 8:45 to get Salmon, Mussels, Scallops, white fish dip and a shrimp platter. Also picked up wine and some regular groceries. I was out by 9:30am where there was total chaos in the parking lot. (Grateful I went early at opening). DH was at Ranch 99 at 9am to get Snapper, cod, parsley, peeled garlic.

Spent 2 hours prepping: making pie dough balls (for pecan pies I'll take to my sister's tomorrow), chopping shallots and garlic, trimming brussel sprouts. Also set the table and made sure beverages that needed chilling were in the crowded fridge. DH has now taken over the kitchen and is starting the cous-cous con pesce (sicilian fish dish that is amazing but time consuming). He also started the pizza dough rising for the salmon pizza.

Folks are showing up at 5 - so I'll need to do a bit more work around 4:30 (trimming the mussels, putting together the panko crusted scallops in the casserole dish.)

Here's our menu:
Salmon pizza
Fish dip & crackers
shrimp platter.
cous cous con pesce
Panko scallops
mussels steamed in wine over pasta
whole roasted fish

Have a wonderful Chrismas Eve everyone. Buona fortuna!

Guess I'm an underachiever.
Baked an apple pie.
Took 3 hours though, a good chunk of it mixing the dough and rolling it out.

I watched the NASA feed of the launch of the James Webb telescope this morning. Pretty cool ..

I hope your DW gets better soon.

You made me curious about the balmy temperature there. Checked the forecast and it said 81F today, but cooling towards 65F next week.

Last edited:
I hope your DW will get better.

You made me curious about the balmy temperature there. Checked the forecast and it said 81F today, but cooling towards 65F next week.

Thanks, she is feeling bit better, but still has the cold bug that's running around in these parts. We only hope it won't go into her lungs, which would be a real problem.

Yes, the next ten days or so is going to be rather peasant here, but with the corresponding high humidity.

Went to the beach yesterday. Perfect beach weather, sunny but not too hot and a nice breeze. Made sure to get a selfie that I sent to all my relatives in the frozen northern lands.

We were supposed to leave for Florida from the cold Canadian prairies on Monday but a weather system was coming to the Dakotas and Minnesota so we scrambled to leave on Sunday. We left at 11 and drove through some bad weather but made it through okay...lots of vehicles in the ditches!!

It's usually a 27 hour drive that we split into 3 days but we didn't get very far day 1, plus I didn't feel like a long day after driving through a storm so we decided to split it into a 4 day trip. On Monday we stayed outside of St. Louis, and tonight we're near Pulaski, TN. We'll be in Panama City Beach tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom