What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
A garage door opener with a battery backup is not that expensive. Worth looking at, I think.

Today we went on a duck ride on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Seventy three degrees and sunny. So much nicer than back home in Iowa.

A garage door opener with a battery backup is not that expensive. Worth looking at, I think.

One doesn't even need that. You can run a cable so you can release the lift mechanism from outside. You lock the cable.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

You must be RV'in'. All right!

I have not been to Florida with an RV, but have read that it may be difficult to get a slot to park in the winter, at least down in Key West.

Ahhhhhhhh...... I wish. I'm visiting a cousin. Yes, it's hard to get a spot in the season (Late Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar) and they are not cheap.

Left DH at home with [-]strict instructions[/-] a loving request to finish the garage and basement cleanup.

Hardwood is refinished and carpet has been replaced. It looks awesome. Kinda hate to give up the place - but in this case, for something new to begin, something else must end. We're going on the market as soon as possible when I get back.

I hope we're in the RV in, say, June...?? Is that a good estimate (an offer in thirty days and sixty days to close))??

Wrapped up a short term consulting gig. (No, I THINK I'm still retired.) Free at last! :LOL:

Built some small antennas for a little training presentation I'll be doing next week, and played around with some new hardware toys. It's all recreational until someone decides to buy a license...

No, really. I'm still retired. It's just that Stuff Happens...

That's a good idea. I just got that garage door in and working a week ago or so. Got the panels up for the second upper garage door yesterday which kept me from unhooking the tarp covering that opening. There will also be an entry door just around the corner from the garage doors but right now it has a piece of sheathing covering it on the inside and is covered on the outside with house wrap. I thought about putting in the door first, but wanted to get the garage doors up because the tarps were not holding up in the wind.

I have electricity back now. I saw the electric company trucks headed out when I was at the Ranch House. I rushed back to check an make sure the beer was still cold. It is. :dance:

... Hardwood is refinished and carpet has been replaced. It looks awesome. Kinda hate to give up the place - but in this case, for something new to begin, something else must end. We're going on the market as soon as possible when I get back.

I hope we're in the RV in, say, June...?? Is that a good estimate (an offer in thirty days and sixty days to close))??

I wish you well in your endeavor.

Talking about making the home nice before selling, one of my brothers just recently upgraded to an even larger home, and is putting money into his old home before listing it. Over the past few years, his wife already spent perhaps $100K into home improvements, and with their house so nice everybody thought they would stay for life.

So, I asked what they were doing, and they said they were removing the remaining carpets in the home and to put down hardwood on the staircase and the few remaining bedrooms.

It is somewhat ironic that we tend to spend money or work on our home when we move out, instead of doing it earlier so we can enjoy it.

I am posting this after finishing up another step in remodeling some of the rooms we have upstairs. I don't know how many years I have until I have to pack a small bag of clothes to move into a nursing home, but darn it, I am going to enjoy my home while I still can.

I rushed back to check an make sure the beer was still cold. It is. :dance:

Where you live, you might have to keep it in the frig just to keep it from getting TOO cold!

Actually, I was just recently looking at battery backup garage door openers. I'll probably get one next week.

It is somewhat ironic that we tend to spend money or work on our home when we move out, instead of doing it earlier so we can enjoy it.

Agree!

Since it has taken us SO long to get to this point, we don't want anything to get in the way of a Spring sale, and don't want to have to start dropping the price significantly. Thus, the new flooring in most areas. Have had a lot of the inside painted. We have not remodeled the kitchen but it's in good shape (although no granite or stainless steel).

HGTV - which I like to watch when we stay in a hotel - has spoiled a lot of people.

It was in the 50s today, so I spent much of the day working on my car. Installed a new battery, changed out the spark plugs, flushed the radiator, changed the oil and filter, polished the plastic headlight covers so they'll be brighter. I'm tired, so rotating the tires and checking the brakes will have to wait for tomorrow.

Maybe? It all depends.

Hot market: Last summer I offered on my dream house half a day after the sign went up (before it was even on the realtors' version of the MLS), and it closed 55 days later. They had a lot of repairs to do so that was what took so long. When I sold my prior home, the offer came in after 4 days and it closed 39 days later.

Cool market: In 2010, the market was cold as ice. I tried to sell and didn't even have a bite in 4 months so I took it off the market. Nothing or almost nothing sold in my neighborhood during that time.

Took a nice walk with the DW, made some amazing Mexican food, played a video game, and cleaned up my two Yugoslavian SKS rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Bomber Flight

Today I flew in a WW2 B-25 bomber

Attachments

• IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5792.jpg
    IMG_5792.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5810.jpg
    IMG_5810.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 24
Speaking of real estate sales, there was no activity in my neighborhood since the housing bust, until late last year. People did not even bother to list, and there was no For Sale sign. Then, three of my neighbors listed and sold within a few months of each other, with two due to divorce sale.

One home was priced too high and did not sell until they reduced the price 10%. One of the 3 homes got the For Sale sign going up simultaneously with the notice that it was in contract. It was priced right, and the same realtor office handling the sales already had a buyer looking in this area. They moved out within a month.

Last edited:
We took the train into the city last night and saw Hair. It was not the most polished show we've seen lately but with hippies, live music, nudity, and 60s songs - what's not to like? :) Some of the people in the audience were dressed like hippies but being San Francisco I wasn't sure if they dressed up for the play or they were wearing their every day clothes.

Tonight we're going to a community theater show. In between just the usually stuff - walking the dog, catching up with email, grocery shopping and house and office chores.

Took the dog for a walk on the beach... no beach though due to high tide and beach erosion... so I walked on the street side of the ocean front homes up the hill to Scripps/UCSD.

Then it was time for work... yard work. DH and Older Son (OS) removed some old railroad ties and dirt/gravel. Younger Son (YS) and I got to sift the organic material and rocks/gravel out of the dirt.... The gravel will be reused behind the new block wall that is replacing the old railroad tie retaining wall.

Railroad ties are being repurposed into garden bed walls. And the sifted dirt is being used - along with LOTS of compost.

YS was not very motivated, despite the fact we're paying decent money for the labor... I had to threaten to block his computer on the router to get any cooperation at all. Lots of drama. OS worked hard and is getting a good paycheck from this.

I have a sore back, dry hands (from working with the dirt) and am almost too hungry to eat dinner... but we have chickens in the oven and it smells good.

Today I flew in a WW2 B-25 bomber

That's very cool. I have been a fan of that plane since I read Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo as a boy.

Today we sat on the beach until I noticed the rain about a mile away over the ocean. We hustled back to the hotel and made it without getting soaked. One more day here where it's warm before we have to head back to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom