What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the Father's Day party is behind me, I should be heading up to my high-country home to escape the heat. But I am also going gun-ho on setting up my electronics hobby room. Firing up my laboratory-grade HP and Tektronix equipments brings back the memory of past work. Being a single-minded person, I find it difficult to tear away.

Still, I need to go up to do some work on the deck, as I planned. When I do, y'all will not be seeing much of me, as there's no Internet up there.

Now that the Father's Day party is behind me, I should be heading up to my high-country home to escape the heat.

It has been hot here, too. We went up to the Oakland Hills for the afternoon to escape the heat yesterday. We took in planetarium show and went for a walk in the Redwood park next door.

Couple of hours of kayaking on a mirror smooth lake early in the morning. Magnificent.

Angel Flight

Flew a patient with malignant Melanoma from San Luis Obispo to Santa Monica for treatment. Had to avoid the Santa Barbara Sherpa fire flight restrictions.
It was hot even in Santa Monica.

Big week for DW. It was the last week of school and her last day of work - ever. I've been retired for 9 1/2 years and finally, finally she is retired, too. Looking forward to traveling together in non-prime time.
Congratulations to your DW....and you as well. :greetings10:

Went up to Piedra Falls in San Juan National Forest. Twenty miles of dirt roads bouncing around at 9k feet losing GPS along the way. At the trailhead you hike a little over a half mile up to the falls.

On the way back we pass a couple with 3 boys. The last 10 yo boy is hanging back I ask him about his 2015 Royals World Series tshirt, are you a fan? "Well of course mister I'm from KC!" I laughed and let him know we are too.

Falls were worth the trip. The boys reaction was too.

Last edited:
:greetings10: NW-Bound, your inbox is full. I sent you an email. :greetings10:

Today was a gym day, I am slowly, ever so slowly, getting back to where I was (I hope!) before my involuntary 2 1/2 month layoff. And I am now well acquainted with the phenomenon of DOMS. Ouch.

Then up to the Honda dealer to get the Accord serviced. Contrary to many dealer shops, this one has a sterling reputation and has never tried to upsell us on anything. And a friend of mine who is an aircraft A&P and was once a Honda mechanic gives it great rating too. He's not exactly the guy to fall for any unneeded work being done on his Honda.

Back home, lunch, and got some flight time in on my F4U Corsair with the 16-inch wingspan in the back yard, then log in here.

First meeting with my PhD supervisor. It went well - lot's of useful feedback on my first submission, some guidance on making my thesis more focused and plenty encouragement. All well directed and practical.

On the agenda for today is a six mile fast walk, then a 90 minute interactive lecture at our nearby university on Art: The Lure of the West being broadcast from the Smithsonian in Washington DC. This series has been so cool! There is a docent on line live from DC, who we can see via webcam, and she can see and hear us as well.

After that we'll return home for lunch and a small rest, before heading back out to attend an event that our Art Alliance is holding in a nearby town, which is a lecture by a local artist, then dinner, then an art walk.

Should be a great day.

First meeting with my PhD supervisor. It went well - lot's of useful feedback on my first submission, some guidance on making my thesis more focused and plenty encouragement. All well directed and practical.

That sounds like a really cool and ambitious retirement project.

We took the train into San Francisco last night to see the touring production of Cabaret and enjoyed it. The actor who played the emcee of the Kit Kat Klub did an exceptional job. It must be hard to for an actor to take over an iconic role like that.

Today we went out for lunch, went on a club hike and if we have time later there is a free concert at a local park.

Last edited:
Not much. Recovering from a knee replacement surgery a week ago and my first pt session yesterday while dreading tomorrow's session. Walked around the house, napped, read a book, repeat.

I installed an external Thunderbolt SSD drive on my aging iMac to speed it up. After reading what it would take to replace the internal drive :hide:, the external one is a better option. Less risk of me messing up the internals of the iMac. :eek:

Amazing results! Boot up time is decreased by about 70%. LightRoom loads and is ready to go in 10 seconds versus nearly 2 minutes before. I keep my data on the internal HD and use the SSD for the OS and the software programs I use most often.

It was a bit of a pain to get everything loaded properly. And I had to point a lot of programs to the data on the internal HD. It also complicated backup a bit. But, now it appears to be working properly. :dance:

Oh, I also enabled the new Trim feature so the OS will help keep the SSD running fast.

Looks like Apple will have to wait at least another two years before I replace it. :)

Last edited:
If there is a bell curve distribution for every kind of understanding/intelligence, I just dealt with someone on the far left for "internet usage"!

I manage the website for our civic association. There is a members only section which requires login, and to get a login ID and password is a two-step process. A homeowner has to request a login via the website using a valid email, and I need to verify their name and ownership status.

It took one woman three tries to correctly enter her email address. I had to send her a screenshot of the requests I received, showing her the incorrect email she was inputting, before she understood. It wasn't just a typo; her email is "jvdoe @domain" and she kept inputting her initials instead.

Once I finally got her registered, she couldn't figure out how to log in (she kept using the "sign up" form instead of the login interface). I again had to email her screen shots with the pertinent parts circled in red. After two tries she finally got in. Then she was confused because she couldn't find the information about our community yard sale-- which is housed in the public-facing part of the website. I had to give up before I gave myself a headache by banging my head on the desk.

That's interesting, DW never mentioned that she was having login issues to me. :D

Just kidding.

Last edited:
Not much. Recovering from a knee replacement surgery a week ago and my first pt session yesterday while dreading tomorrow's session. Walked around the house, napped, read a book, repeat.

Good luck with your pt, I've heard it's particularly tough for knee replacement. In fact, when I was in pt for a frozen shoulder, I was giving my therapist some grief because he was hurting me while all the other patients were being told "if it hurts, you're pushing too hard". I was being told "no pain, no gain". The pt told me that there are three conditions that have to go through no pain / no gain: frozen shoulder, knee replacement, and tennis elbow.

Finished painting the ceiling in the big room and installed a new fan.

27879688405_5c2170f803.jpg

Went to the county fair. Ate overpriced, and really bleh food. (I remember it being better in the past). The only good food is the gingerbread cake that I've been getting since I was a kid. The only thing eaten on a stick was the corn dog my son ate.

I was talked into going on the Zipper by younger son. It was my favorite ride as a kid. All I could think about while on it this time was where the points of failure could be (door latch, pivot point that the cage/cab is on, etc.) That made it MUCH scarier than when I was younger and just getting flung around and upside down.

Came home to see that my portfolio lost the equivalent of my annual withdrawal today. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

Mowed my grass and edged. Also went to the dentist after experiencing some soreness around a tooth. Turns out I cracked it down to the nerve so will have to have an implant. Did the same thing on the corresponding tooth on other side of my mouth about 1.5 years ago. Lucky me.....another $3.5k down the toilet.

I had a couple of incidents in the car (2014 Yaris) where I had to stop short and it seemed like the brakes did not stop fast enough and there was an uneven up and down motion in the brake pedal. Left it at the shop I have been going to for years. Diagnosis? It's the anti-lock brake system making the uneven motion when it senses no traction. And when we discussed the stops I realized that the incidents were in construction areas where there is sand so not as much traction.

For the time they spent looking at the brake pads and explaining to me why nothing is wrong with my car, the charge was ... $0.00

This is why I keep going there.

We drove 830 miles Pagosa Springs to KC. Only thirteen hours almost half was on secondary highway. Lot of people think I 70 across KS is flat and boring; those people have never driven CO 96!

We just bought a used 2014 GMC Sierra and this was the first trip, pretty happy. Drove 70 on secondary , 80 on I70 and managed to get 19.8 mpg. Didn't realize the truck had hill assistance and when the thing started downshifting by itself I didn't know what to think. Pretty good trip except the pair of Foster Grant sunglasses that got lost somewhere. That proves I am my dad's kid.:banghead:

Fired up my chainsaw and cut some small tree stumps in the back yard that was a jungle when we bought the house. Still trying to figure out the hardscape possibilities for the back yard and the side yard. Working a saw next to ground level in 104 F is exhausting and wore me out.

Got a bid on a small retaining wall planter of sorts and a regrade for a walkway. Twice what I was estimating. :nonono: I may put these projects off until the Fall when it cools down a bit here in south Texas.

Came home to see that my portfolio lost the equivalent of my annual withdrawal today. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

I have started 'pretending' that a few hundred thousand of our portfolio does not exist when setting our SWR in order to counteract the mental angst of sharp market turns. It helps a lot during times like this. :blush:

Today is an 'off' exercise day. Yesterday DH and I hiked 10 miles in heat and I was wasted the remainder of the day. Today I need to get things done, hence the off day.

Quick trip to the market to pick up some items on 72-hour sale - chicken, blueberries and watermelon. Going early to avoid the weekend rush - I am so spoiled with quiet midweek shopping!

The family is coming over for an afternoon of swimming, followed by a BBQ, then a trip to an ice cream parlor to celebrate my GD's six birthday. Should be a messy, noisy, absolutely fun day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom