What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good that you are spreading your wealth. :)

I have done my share of "wealth spreading" via other ways, so have to cook my own meal, which I like to do anyway. My frugal wife would also have a heart attack if I buy boiled peanuts on line.

I am thrilled! I just got my robocall from the IRS! Everyone else has been getting them and I felt so left out:LOL:

I apologize as I have apparently been taking more than my fair share. They called me twice yesterday.

You should apologize. That's just being plain greedy.:D

OK. I removed a portion and heated in water as advised. They Rock! I thought I was back at an SC roadside stand - :)

I may be very late to the party on this but a couple hours ago I discovered an extremely interesting web site. It is www.flightradar24.com. Really fun to check out where airplanes are going. Also has a 3D display where you can follow planes right to landing.

It's been almost 2 weeks. I guess I need to provide the interested readers with a follow up.

The last rat caught was on the night before yesterday. This morning, there's no rat. I guess I don't really know for a while.

By the way, I lured them first with a bit of blue cheese set on a piece of aluminum foil.

Following this saga with interest. Your persistence is paying off.

I cleared out all of the snap traps and debaited them of the stale bait. Decided to try one thing at a time. Pieced together some bait ideas and tried a wooden ramp to the rim of a tall bucket with a small piece of sponge at the bottom soaked with bacon grease. There were droppings in the bucket in the morning but they could jump out.

Last night put a few inches of water in the bucket and a cardboard tube with the bait, peanut butter AND bacon grease, at the end of the ramp. Tube is positioned so half of it is on the ramp and half is hanging over the bucket. In the YouTube videos the mouse flips the tube over, falls in the bucket and can't jump out b/c of the water. This morning it was untouched. Maybe the tube is too small. Ugh, maybe that means they are not mice.

This is starting to resemble the MouseTrap game of the 60's.

Training hike in the AM for an upcoming one week backpack across Isle Royale Nat'l Park. I carried 30 lbs to DH's 40, which put us both at 25% of body weight, our respective not-to-exceed weight goals.

Headed over to our HOA pool afterward for a well deserved dip. Back home made terrific tuna salad wraps for lunch, then we showered and took recovery naps. Spent a few hours puttering around the house, then out to a wine bar for drinks and dinner.

Last night put a few inches of water in the bucket and a cardboard tube with the bait, peanut butter AND bacon grease, at the end of the ramp. Tube is positioned so half of it is on the ramp and half is hanging over the bucket. In the YouTube videos the mouse flips the tube over, falls in the bucket and can't jump out b/c of the water. This morning it was untouched. Maybe the tube is too small. Ugh, maybe that means they are not mice.

This is starting to resemble the MouseTrap game of the 60's.

You are on the right track. Here are the suggested modifications: You need a soft drink can that easily spins on a stiff wire. Wire anchored in holes drilled in bucket. The can is kept in the middle by having half a plastic straw slid onto the wire on each side. The mice will stretch to acquire the peanut butter on the soda can. This was set outside for the purposes of taking a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6984.jpg
    IMG_6984.jpg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Did you guys ever think about just getting or borrowing a cat? No rodents inside but if we leave the cat door open at night we may find a "present" in the doorway in the morning.

Snagged (with a long-handled shovel) a small 18" rattler coiled at the foot of the steps off our deck. First one I've seen at the house in the past couple of years.

Spent a few hours relaxing on the patio drinking coffee with DH and the pup this morning. Then I picked up some groceries, fresh flowers, and cleaning supplies to make a welcome basket for my best friend who is moving into a new house today. DD and I are going to make zucchini chocolate chip muffins with a zucchini we just picked from the garden.

DW and I did a quick 11 mile ride on the tandem this morning before the heat set in. Then we fixed a big breakfast of pecan waffles and bacon. Rest of the day devoted to laundry, music practice, the Cubs game and who knows what else.

Took a load to the landfill, then swung by Home Depot for some plumbing repair items. Pressure washed the rest of the deck, as it's too darned hot to do anything outside that doesn't include getting wet. Got the wooden hammer out and picked about a lb. of crab meat out of leftover claws from our crab feast a couple of days ago. Got to run out again and get the ingredients for cream of crab soup. That plus burgers and brats on the grill (when the sun goes down a bit) should make for a pleasant dinner.

... There were droppings in the bucket in the morning but they could jump out.

Last night put a few inches of water in the bucket and a cardboard tube with the bait, peanut butter AND bacon grease, at the end of the ramp...

This morning it was untouched...

Another possibility is the rat is smart, and learns not to fall for the same trick again.

That is the case with my super rat. I forgot to tell about the incidence that happened before I discovered there were rats in my garage attic.

This year, I was successful in raising a few tomato plants. As I anxiously awaited picking my first homegrown tomato, it got chewed up just as it ripened. I had put a nylon mesh over the plants for bird protection, so suspected it was a rat. There had been roof rats seen recently in the neighborhood, but at that point I did not know some lived above my garage.

Anyway, I set out the electric rat zapper. Next morning, its light blinked, but no rat! Apparently, the rat survived the shock and escaped.

Some days later, when I was out of town, my son stopped by my home for some tools, and said he saw a rat in the garage. I asked him to set up the trap in the garage with some peanut butter. Nope, no rats, and the bait stayed untouched.

When I got back in town, I switched to blue cheese. Besides the bait inside the trap, I also had a bit of blue cheese and a blueberry outside of the trap. The food outside the trap got eaten, but the rat would not enter the trap. I believe it was the same rat that survived the shock at the tomato plant.

Later, the rats I got up in the attic were some younger rats that were not as smart. I believe the big and smart one escaped. It was the same one that got snared by the snap trap I set at the garage wall hole, and managed to extricate itself. It must be a monster rat!

Did you guys ever think about just getting or borrowing a cat? No rodents inside but if we leave the cat door open at night we may find a "present" in the doorway in the morning.

I see some neighborhood cats outside during the day, but not recently. It's too hot even at night for cats to venture out. Or perhaps people lock them inside at night.

I am not too far from the desert foothills, and have seen coyotes running around. They pounce on cats!

I do not have a cat now, but mine were indoor cats, and they would not know to catch anything. They were almost vegetarian. One loved to eat corn. She was very sweet. :)

Last edited:
Drove with DW about four hours drive time to Chesapeake, VA for a layover pending an early AM departure for Corolla, NC where family has rented a beach house. We stopped for about an hour on the way for lunch and had a nice steak dinner after check-in at the hotel.

Enjoy! :D

DW & I love the OBX. :dance:

We always went to Ocracoke; a bit further south but, wonderfully remote & quiet + the best beaches on the east coast (usually with almost nobody on them).

We went to a library book sale today and I bought some new to me DVDs and hobby books. Later we had strawberry margaritas on the patio in the evening and watched all the solar lights come on. We enjoy being able to have a festive look in the backyard every night without using any utility company type of electricity. Roof top solar panels wouldn't really work for our location but we do use solar lights outside and have some other solar products like camping lights, battery chargers and flashlights.

Did you guys ever think about just getting or borrowing a cat?

LOL I HAVE a cat! You know what she does? She goes down to the basement and lies in the mouse traffic path so she can watch them. The last one she caught was about a year ago, some hapless baby that would have been taken care of by natural selection anyway. It must have walked into her mouth while she was lying there. Maybe I should bait her with bacon grease.

You are on the right track. Here are the suggested modifications: You need a soft drink can that easily spins on a stiff wire. Wire anchored in holes drilled in bucket.

Thanks for the picture. I guess I'll have to go there next b/c they ignored the tube again last night. Also can does not depend so much on the size of vermin.

Ran 17 miles on my 61st birthday. Now recovering and will grill a steak if I can get off the couch. I kinda like the old person status complete with support hose.

Attachments

• socks.jpg
    socks.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 24
Had some new(to me) beers. A Bacon porter, green chile, two stouts salt and carmel, and peanut butter stout! The green chile and peanut butter stout were by far the best. Sadly the bacon, well I can say I tried bacon beer.

Sadly the bacon, well I can say I tried bacon beer.

Reminds me of a beer festival I attended once long ago where there was a booth with garlic beer.

I asked them how they made garlic beer and the guy looked at me like I had three heads and said "You take a glass of beer and drop a garlic clove in it"

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom