Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #1641

As I read this thread it occurs to me that I haven't done much of anything.... Sure, I walked the dog on the beach every morning for the past 13 days. I did some duolingo Italian. Signed up for an accounting class for the fall.... But mostly I putzed around the house doing chores, binge watched netflix, and started binge watching the olympics.

I did go to the local park for their annual ice cream banana split day. (A local community family donates the icecream, and the local community association provides the toppings and volunteer labor. A local zydeco band offered to play for free... so a good time.... Been going on 1x year for 35 years!!!) A friend asked how I liked retirement and what I was doing to stay busy.... I couldn't think of anything I was doing special. LOL.

Life is good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #1642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Out to dinner with DW last night to celebrate anniversary number 37. I pointed out that this was a permutable prime, she wasn't impressed. Back to the park today for some photography - stayed on shore and got some good insect photos. I'll share DW's favorite in honor of our anniversary.
Boy, you really know how to charm a girl!

Here's hoping you both make it to 71.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #1643
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
the shaft locked up.
If it's more than four hours, I understand physicians are trained to deal with that.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #1644

Here's a picture:

2016080695142330.jpg
Old 08-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #1645
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Talk about losing your bearings...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Talk about losing your bearings...
Actually...losing your balls...
Old 08-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #1647
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I got paid to float down the river. A very easy day guiding-- beautiful weather and friendly, capable guests make for a wonderful day. And they tipped well!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #1648

Actually yesterday, I finished the project of adding A/C to my 52 GMC hot rod pickup. The Chevy 350 engine already has the compressor on it in preparation for this A/C conversion. I used an old 60's underdash A/C evaporator unit I had around in my parts stash. I also used an old condenser I had, and my only real expense was getting the custom hoses made up. About $200 for the new hoses. Once I mounted all the parts, made all the hose and electrical connections, pulled a vacuum, and charged it up; I had cool air blowing. Very nice having the cold air blowing and the windows rolled up vs 2-60 A/C (2 windows down and 60 mph). Guess I'll find out if the system holds and no leaks within a few weeks. I used R-134a, even though the evap unit was designed way back in R-12 days. It has a thermal expansion valve and it is close enough calibration to work with R-134a. Did not measure air outlet temps, but it seems pretty close to freezing, so it is working well.

Did lots of other house and garage cleaning since it finally cooled down a bit with the monsoon season rains finally kicking in, about 1 month late. Had another couple that are friends over Sat night for a nice dinner and just hanging out.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #1649

So you are now a cool dude in 38 Chevy.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #1650

Installed a sub-panel for four circuit breakers under the main incoming power panel at my friend's house to be able to add a 30 amp 120 volt circuit to run the power for his RV now that the RV generator has been removed and trashed.

His main panel had no open slots for another circuit breaker so the additional panel was the best option. We than added a dedicated female power outlet next to the box so that the RV can be powered while parked in his driveway.

Did all this Sunday before it got too hot out. Today I'm just goofing off.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #1651
Recycles dryer sheets

Bicycled 46 miles as a recovery ride from yesterday's 66 mile endeavor. Life is good, and 2 weeks and 3 days to retirement!
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #1652

Prepared the small lawn mower for long-term storage. (I did the large one a few days ago.) It hadn't been run since last fall (I had some health issues and now hire out the mowing) and at that time I just closed the fuel valve and let it run until the line and carburetor ran dry. I'd had fuel preservative in the fuel and it started right up! Let it run for a bit to warm up, drained the oil and put in fresh/new, ran it a bit to spread that around inside, drained what fuel I could, let it run again until it stopped for lack of fuel. Removed the spark plug, squirt some motor oil in the cylinder, put the plug back in and spin the engine a few times, and done.

Tomorrow I might remember to wipe some motor oil on the blade.

And think about whether I should sell the mowers or maybe I'll get back to doing the mowing myself. While I could do it now I have found that I really like not having to do it and hiring someone is easily affordable. Just getting lazy I guess.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #1653
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And think about whether I should sell the mowers or maybe I'll get back to doing the mowing myself. While I could do it now I have found that I really like not having to do it and hiring someone is easily affordable. Just getting lazy I guess.
Sell them! You can afford to have someone do the lawn and it's silly to mow if you don't have to and don't want to.

You are not getting lazy; if this worries you, then work out twice as long at the gym.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #1654
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely nothing!

Spent the last four days backpacking, rolling in around 9:00 PM last night, so today I have given myself permission to do not a whole lot.

The loose plan is to unpack and sort out our backpacks as we do need to dry out our tent, and to pretty much veg out other than that.

A little reading, a little Hulu, then dinner out tonight with our book club.

I relish these 'day afters' which we now do after pretty much every trip.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #1655
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoyed the view from my balcony.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #1656

Went to Chicago Bears training camp. Then to a brewpub to replenish lost fluids.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to Chicago Bears training camp. Then to a brewpub to replenish lost fluids.
Are you trying out? I mean, I know the Bears are hurting......but....
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #1658

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Are you trying out? I mean, I know the Bears are hurting......but....
Ha! I should have tried out, but I don't think I would survive 1 practice. 11am to 1 pm in 85 with full pads. You'd think they would practice early mornings.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #1659
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Spent the last four days backpacking...
Where did you go backpacking? Would you recommend this location?
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #1660
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
Where did you go backpacking? Would you recommend this location?
We were in the Sierras, which extend for hundreds of miles, thousands of backpacking miles, and about the same number of glacial lakes. Don't think it's possible to make a wrong choice anywhere within.

Here's a photo of the view from our tent on this particular trip:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sierras.jpg (85.2 KB, 30 views)