What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, Naggz! What a great accomplishment.

On plane with DW headed home after escaping from Charleston just ahead of Matthew (hotel closed & made us leave), to Charlotte where we had to contend with 1,000s of NASCAR fans.

Very lucky, didn't get engulfed by either.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Today I practiced retirement, since it was a holiday for me but not most people. It was a clear, crisp fall day, so I went to the outdoor range in the morning. On the way home, I bought a new Springfield M1A. Then I went to the Indian grocery to pick up some turmeric for the young wife (it is way cheaper there). Went to the auto parts store to return my used motor oil and pick up some new wiper blades. I just washed the car and did the steel wool and Rainex trick on the windshield. I also polished the plastic headlight covers.

There is much more to be done, and w*rk just gets in the way.

Today I practiced retirement, since it was a holiday for me but not most people. It was a clear, crisp fall day, so I went to the outdoor range in the morning. On the way home, I bought a new Springfield M1A. Then I went to the Indian grocery to pick up some turmeric for the young wife (it is way cheaper there). Went to the auto parts store to return my used motor oil and pick up some new wiper blades. I just washed the car and did the steel wool and Rainex trick on the windshield. I also polished the plastic headlight covers.

There is much more to be done, and w*rk just gets in the way.
I don't know - - the range and buying the Springfield M1A sounds like a good start in simulating retirement, but after that the Indian grocery, the auto parts store, washing the car, and polishing the headlight covers, all sounds like w*rk to me.

That's one of the things I really like about my retirement. No longer is the majority of my free time occupied by the necessities of life such as shopping, cleaning, and so on. Sure, I have to do some of that now and then, but most of the time I can actually kick back and do whatever I want to do.

Angel Flight

Today we flew a 7 year old girl and her mother from Santa Monica to Paso Robles. We transferred them to another Angel Flight pilot who flew them the rest of the way home in the Bay Area

Completed 15 years since ER day, a nice anniversary.

What makes it even better is that I'm better off financially today than I was back then. Life is good.

Just finished first day (of three) judging beers at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. There are 264 of us judges here this year, and we'll judge over 7,300 beers by Friday afternoon. The festival opens to the public Thursday evening, and the awards will be announced Saturday.

It's an amazing logistical challenge, and I'm always impressed at the folks who run it. I've been doing this for 15 years now and the explosive growth in entries (as well as the number of breweries that enter) has been jaw dropping.

We have a friend who owns a couple beer oriented bars in Philly (Grey Lodge and Hop Angel) - he's been in Denver this weekend seeing what he wants to order for his bar. His facebook posts have been great... Apparently it was a very well run event.

I have an M1A, great rifle, lot's of fun!

Today I finished up my plate amplifier project, tossed the DTV dish inna trash after sawing some slots and folding it in half, bought Lucy a new sack of food and ordered up a lobster roll kit.

Some days are better than others. Went down to Pueblo to see a very good friend this weekend. He has early-onset Alzheimer's. His brother had passed away late last week. We went to a restaurant for breakfast and he told me he didn't think he had been in it before. We go there all the time, but didn't start going there until after his Alzheimer's was well entrenched. His wife takes good care of him. My excuse for being down there was to watch football and work on a tractor we both own. I was really down there to stay with him while his wife went up to Colorado Springs with her sister for a Dr. appt. and to do some shopping and relaxing. Its sad to watch.

I just washed the car and did the steel wool and Rainex trick on the windshield.

That is the HANDIEST trick and I discovered that it works on house windows too - at least on mine. They get covered with pollen that does not come off easily with windex. I didn't do the Rainex part, just the steel wool, but it worked perfectly and was much less messy than Windex or buckets of ammonia.

That is the HANDIEST trick and I discovered that it works on house windows too - at least on mine. They get covered with pollen that does not come off easily with windex. I didn't do the Rainex part, just the steel wool, but it worked perfectly and was much less messy than Windex or buckets of ammonia.

S.O.S. or the old Brillo pads?

I am proud of myself. I managed to re-enroll myself and my kids in covered CA AND get my husband's non renewal. (He goes on Medicare 1/1/2017)

To make life better - with him not enrolling, and the kids and I all on the same plan, we are now able to get our premium tax credits up front in the form of a premium tax credit. Our new insurance premium (adjusted with the PTC) is $3/month for our HDHP w HSA plan. We've been paying the full premium in the past years because coveredCA didn't like families on 2 different plans if they were getting tax credits. It appears they may have fixed that this year... not sure.

Anyway - we're enrolled!!!! Now to get DH's medicare enrollment done (next Thursday we have an appt with an insurance broker) and we'll be good to go.

Woo hoo.

S.O.S. or the old Brillo pads?

According to the original YouTube video, steel wool at grade 0000 will not scratch glass. I am using that and it works great. You do it with dry steel wool so no mess, no rinse. I started with my car windshield and it did wonders on that.

There is an earlier post here somewhere with a link to the YouTube video.

I was thinking that you should probably be sure that your glass does not have any protective coating on it before attempting. Neither my windshield nor my cheap replacement windows do.

According to the original YouTube video, steel wool at grade 0000 will not scratch glass. I am using that and it works great. You do it with dry steel wool so no mess, no rinse. I started with my car windshield and it did wonders on that.

There is an earlier post here somewhere with a link to the YouTube video.

I was thinking that you should probably be sure that your glass does not have any protective coating on it before attempting. Neither my windshield nor my cheap replacement windows do.

Thank you.

Frustration today. Got a notice in the mailbox Saturday about a certified letter, with instructions to pick it up today.

Showed up at post office, where they couldn't find it after half an hour searching. They wanted to try tracing it on the computer, but the tracking number was scrawled illegibly on the notice and nobody could read it. They took my phone number and said they would call IF they found it.

Went home and after a lot of trial and error entering guesses at the tracking number, I finally got it. Letter came from some small town in Wisconsin I'd never heard of, and I'm completely clueless as to what it could be. I gave that info to the PO and we'll see if that helps them find it.

These things burn me up because if it hadn't been Certified, I would have had it Saturday.

I took advantage of the beautiful weather today. The adjacent township has a very good network of paved walking/biking trails, and I spent a good part of the afternoon on them with my bicycle. It was a nice day to appreciate being ER'd...otherwise I would have been at w*rk!

I did have to educate a driver on the way home. Some just don't understand that a pedestrian or cyclist in the crosswalk has the right-of-way!

I saw that the golf course I belong to had open tee times this morning so made one quickly and took off for the course. I never saw the single who was in front of me and never saw anyone behind me either. I hit 3-4 balls per shot almost every time. It was like having my own private golf course and the weather was beautiful too.

Started making myself take one or two things home from my desk at work each day. 47 working days left. Looking forward to the longest Christmas vacation ever this year.....!

I took advantage of the beautiful weather today. The adjacent township has a very good network of paved walking/biking trails, and I spent a good part of the afternoon on them with my bicycle. It was a nice day to appreciate being ER'd...otherwise I would have been at w*rk!

I did have to educate a driver on the way home. Some just don't understand that a pedestrian or cyclist in the crosswalk has the right-of-way!

That law depends on the state. In a lot of them, if you're in the crosswalk but not on the side of the road the vehicle is on, they don't have to stop or yield. No matter what, I wouldn't bet my brain pan on them following the rule.

DD (3rd grader) has been on a school field trip the past few days/nights. DH and I have gone out for dinner the past 2 nights and slept in both mornings. While I miss DD like crazy, it sure has been nice to have no parenting responsibilities this week.

Did some regularly scheduled maintenance on my Civic (oil change, transmission fluid, air filters, rotate tires, etc.). 232k miles and still going strong. I'm hoping to hit 300k about 2-1/2 years from now.

Have ever replace the PCV and timing belt. Lots of owners forget about doing the PCV:confused:?

Clay bar from doing detail work also works great on windows.:D

Went for my morning two-mile walk, then took a nap.

Made up an 8-quart crock pot of beef stew and will put that cooking at about 7 or 8 tonight. Beef stew for breakfast tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom