Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #1761
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought about other animals and insects, but my electric rat zapper caught 6 up to now. One was a baby rat, and one would expect it to have siblings.

Yes, there were rat droppings, but no fresh ones around the bait area since the last one that was zapped. They might just grab the cracker and ran off to somewhere else to eat. My attic space is a very convoluted space, and by following the AC duct they can go to the 2nd story attic.
Have you thought of hiring an exterminator? I think possibly it was you that posted this graphic, in which case you could probably afford some experts to take care of the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg (79.3 KB, 17 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #1762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I cannot locate the entrance hole, will have to hire someone more knowledgeable to find it. But the daily checking of infestation has to go on for a while, and it would be expensive, I think. One cannot set any trap, then comes back a few days later to see an animal rotting and stinking in this heat.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #1763
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After bringing son's furniture set downstairs, it was picked up by Habitat for Humanity. Then helped him vacuum and clean his room. He is switching to some nice furniture from my parents we kept in storage for years. Thursday his new bed arrives.

Today he got a call-he starts teaching on Thursday!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #1764

Went for a pontoon boat ride today with six ladies and our driver. He was very knowledgeable about the history of the area. We went up the Monongahela River, which flows from South to North. It was a beautiful day. Went to lunch afterward, and 1 of the specials was Meatloaf, which I like very much. It came with Mashed Potatoes, Cole Slaw and Corn. I was stuffed. Came home and napped. I am getting ready to have a bowl of cereal and blueberries for dinner.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #1765
Give me a forum ...

Bought a garden truck today. 1996 Ranger with 155k miles for just less than $1k. Looks good. Needs tires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #1766

Spent the day reading the printed proof of my novel. Should finish by Friday and have it up on Amazon either over the weekend or early next week.

Struggling with pricing decisions - not expecting to sell many copies so I don't think it matters much.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #1767

Yesterday the concrete for my basement and the piers for the front and back decks was poured. This has been a long time coming. Also a lot of work both for the concrete crew and for me. I also got a siding company lined up to do the siding. It took so long to get the basement ready for concrete that I need to get someone in here to get the siding up before winter sets in.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #1768

Finally got around to setting up an HSA. I'm on a HDHP plan now through our retiree medical and just had been procrastinating about doing it. Since in recent years I've had very few healthcare expenses, it wasn't a priority, but then I realized I was giving up the tax deduction as well as the tax-free growth on the $$ that could stay there. With 6 years to go until Medicare, it really is worth it. Decided to go with SelectAccount.

Need to go finish prepping tonight's crockpot dinner - a new chicken tikka masala recipe I found.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #1769

Went for my two-mile walk this morning, ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream, cooked six pounds of hamburger into patties that go in the refrigerator and freezer, (and ate one for lunch) got a delivery from Amazon and I'm still waiting for a delivery of two new R/C airplanes. One is very fast ducted fan jet and the other flies at a walking pace. It also has LED lights so I'll try some night flying.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yes I think I lived it today--DH and I got in the car this evening and I realized my shirt was still inside out (why yes I am a procrastinator at heart), so I just nonchalantly pulled it off, turned it rightside out, and pulled it back on. The street was empty but not sure the nosy neighbor didn't get an eyeful, but DH loved it.
You ARE the BestWifeEver!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #1771

Quote:
I thought about other animals and insects, but my electric rat zapper caught 6 up to now. One was a baby rat, and one would expect it to have siblings.

Yes, there were rat droppings, but no fresh ones around the bait area since the last one that was zapped. They might just grab the cracker and ran off to somewhere else to eat. My attic space is a very convoluted space, and by following the AC duct they can go to the 2nd story attic.
Which zapper do you use?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #1772
Give me a forum ...

It's the Victor M240 sold for $37 at Home Depot. See photo linked from Home Depot.

By testing it, I learned how it works (no, I did not use my hand as some guys did on youtube, but with a thin wood stick whose end was wrapped in aluminum foil for conductivity).

This model runs on 4 C batteries, and uses a transistor switching circuit to step up the 6V voltage to several thousand volts. However, it does not turn on until it senses the rat has entered the trap and is well inside it.

The floor of the zapper has 3 separate metal plates between the entrance and the back wall where one puts the bait. When the rat gets between the mid and the back plates, and the electrical conductivity of its feet is sensed between these two plates, that's when the zapper turns on. Even if the rat jumps back, it's still caught between the outer and the mid plates. With my test foil-wrapped stick, I could draw a 1/2" spark between two adjacent plates. It's a lot stronger than the spark in your car spark plug.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #1773
Give me a forum ...

OK. About the WiFi surveillance camera, I captured a lot of activity last night. It's a big mature rat, and I hope it's the same one that made multiple visits to the bait area. This is a smart surviving rat, and perhaps the patriarch of the pack. It wouldn't fall for the trap.

Seeing the rat gave me the strong motivation to get up early to avoid the heat and to go up in the attic early to inspect for the entrance hole. I found one entry way that was most likely and set traps around it.

Will post photos and videos later in a separate trap, er, thread when this saga comes to a fruitful ending.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #1774
Give me a forum ...

One hell of a wildlife adventure you're having, NW-Bound.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #1775
Give me a forum ...

Experimenting today. Attempting to duplicate some pork burnt ends I tried at a commercial BBQ place last month. Man, were they good.

Then once that's complete, I have a wonderful salmon fillet that will get smoked for supper. I really love my Q!
Attached Images
File Type: gif grilling.gif (3.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #1776

Quote:
It's the Victor M240 sold for $37 at Home Depot. See photo linked from Home Depot.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
One hell of a wildlife adventure you're having, NW-Bound.
Ditto that.

Quote:
OK. About the WiFi surveillance camera, I captured a lot of activity last night. It's a big mature rat, and I hope it's the same one that made multiple visits to the bait area. This is a smart surviving rat, and perhaps the patriarch of the pack. It wouldn't fall for the trap.

Seeing the rat gave me the strong motivation to get up early to avoid the heat and to go up in the attic early to inspect for the entrance hole. I found one entry way that was most likely and set traps around it.

Will post photos and videos later in a separate trap, er, thread when this saga comes to a fruitful ending.
Appreciate the updates, and photos - just as long as there's no photo of the actual end result.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #1777
Give me a forum ...

We had squirrels in our attic .After several attempts to get them to leave I called a company "Trapper John " and he solved the problem for $150 cold cash . Spend some money and get it done .
Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #1778

Found an error on a credit card bill. We had gone to dinner at Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV in late July and I charged it. The line on the statement was for exactly twice the amount that I had charged, so evidently the waiter (or whoever handled the transaction) charged it twice. I suspect simple error, that place has been around "since rocks were soft" and they don't have a reputation for fraud.

So I wrote the simple letter to the cc company and I expect this to go away with no fuss.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #1779

Quote:
At least he didn't look into the camera lens, do a little tap dance, then show you one finger to tell you who's "Number One!"

When he does that, you know you've got a challenge on your hands.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #1780

Quote:
His name is Ben.