What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had another stab at the top finish to a newly refinished hardwood floor this morning. The first time left some faint swirls and some bubbles that had dried with rough spots.

Their assessment was that the swirls were likely from the wrong pad for buffing. Bubbles possibly from the house being too cool.

Pre-warmed the house for a couple of days this time. We also warmed the basement space below the floor.

Baking bread with raisins in it. Cheating a bit by using a baking machine.

Catching up on all the Downton Abbey episodes the last couple of days--filled in many gaps in the story I had missed. All in preparation for the last season starting tonight.

Lucky you! I saw the last episode of the last series during xmas. Would love to have one whole unwatched season!

Ah!! Loving this MONDAY!!! Everyone has gone back to w*rk and school and thus the roads and shops are delightful! We replaced a washer/dryer this weekend (got rid of our front loading W/D and went old school!) and I had to hit up the Home Depot to get a new drain hose. There was NO BODY THERE AND IT WAS AWESOME!!! I like the holidays as much as the next guy, but I hate what it does to humanity (roadrage, rudeness, just overall SUCKS!) so it's good to get back to normal. We got all the Christmas decorations from in the house put away yesterday, so when it warms up a little, I will head outside to pack away the outside decorations.

So, have I mentioned that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Monday?!? ;)

Ah!! Loving this MONDAY!!! Everyone has gone back to w*rk and school and thus the roads and shops are delightful! We replaced a washer/dryer this weekend (got rid of our front loading W/D and went old school!) and I had to hit up the Home Depot to get a new drain hose. There was NO BODY THERE AND IT WAS AWESOME!!! I like the holidays as much as the next guy, but I hate what it does to humanity (roadrage, rudeness, just overall SUCKS!) so it's good to get back to normal. We got all the Christmas decorations from in the house put away yesterday, so when it warms up a little, I will head outside to pack away the outside decorations.

So, have I mentioned that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Monday?!? ;)

Mondays are SO much better in retirement, aren't they? I'm glad you are having fun today. :D

I went to the gym, which was surprisingly empty for the first week of the new year, this morning with DH. I forgot that he is subconsciously competitive with me in things like this (if I do the treadmill for 45 minutes, say, he doubles his usual elliptical time--only part of his workout to beat that). The gym is not far, so I think I'll go in the early afternoons instead rather than disrupt his routine and to better focus on myself.

I went to work. On a freezing cold still-dark Minnesota Monday morning. :(

Gloat on, you retirees, gloat on. I will get there at some point and assume my rightful place in the catbird seat.

I went to work. On a freezing cold still-dark Minnesota Monday morning. :(

Gloat on, you retirees, gloat on. I will get there at some point and assume my rightful place in the catbird seat.

You will love it, too! It will make all that you are enduring now, SO worthwhile. :)

When I first joined the forum, I was still working and my chosen username was Want2Retire. I really did, so I do understand at least somewhat.

Woke up this morning to find that DW shared her cold with me. We're married and all, but she doesn't have to share everything!:(

DW got a new car today. When the dealership called to say it was ready, she immediately drove her old one to Carmax to get a quote. I had already looked up estimated resale values online, so we had a good idea what she could get for it.

What a delightful experience!
She was in and out of Carmax in 20 minutes with a check in her hand for just a few hundred less than we could have expected from a private sale, and way more than we expected from a trade-in.

This was our first time with Carmax and we were extremely impressed.

This was our first time with Carmax and we were extremely impressed.

That sounds great! Thanks for the tip. I checked their website and apparently we don't have a Carmax in New Orleans, but there is one in Baton Rouge, about 65 miles away.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, Walt34.

Yesterday we had a bit of a scare with DH's van - the wheelchair ramp wouldn't extend when we got home from church. Fortunately the hand crank backup worked fine, although it made horrible noises. Called the adaptive mobility dealer first thing today and surprisingly they said they could work on it immediately. A rivet holding one of the ramp guides had popped loose and bound up with the ramp. They fixed it and cleaned/lubricated the whole unit - after nearly 8 years I was relieved it was an easy and under $200 fix.

Went directly to my yoga class and now catching up with things online while DH is exercising at the gym. What he doesn't know is that I need to make a grocery run after we get home as I depleted our food reserves trying to avoid grocery shopping during the holidays. And I have a very long list of things that need to be done this week...

Had my final post-op eye exam! Still 20/20 at distance and read the next to smallest up close. Doc said second eye the implant was still moving a little, he suggested I may see further improvement. I'm getting a pair of bifocals done for grins, seldom will ever be used past reading but I can see more detail if needed. Very pleased with the entire process, simple, painless and the payback was so great.

Reactions: W2R
I slept in this morning and have been on the computer quite a bit today. Talked with my sister and daughter on the phone. Made a quick dinner. I really am enjoying a down day and needed it. We went to DD's in NC on 12/19 and stayed until 12/27. My granddaughters were home with us during the day, while the parents were working. I had dinner ready when they got home from work. When we left on 12/27, we brought the 16 month old and 7 year old granddaughters home with us. Their parents came back to our house on 1/1 and left yesterday. I took a 2 hour nap yesterday. They are so much fun, but it does wear me out!

Slow morning waiting for the ice to thaw. Cut up Christmas tree and put in debris can. Did one hour workout with the wife at the gym. Put new camper cover over camper and gas treatment in boat. Picked up around the workbench. Almost cocktail hour :)

Went with DS and DH to Longwood Gardens to see their Christmas display and get out of the house. It's about two hours away from home. It was by far the coldest day since last winter. The conservatory was stunning and the walking was just what I needed to combat my tendency toward being a couch potato in winter. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1451959374.906464.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Today marked my first day of semi-retirement*. :dance:

I slept in, wrote until lunchtime (my favorite hobby), exercised at the gym, and worked from home for 2 hours in the afternoon. Then I ran some errands on foot and snagged a Piroshki at Pike Place Market. Apparently there's is a Piroshki happy hour from four p.m. to close. Who knew?

It was a fun day (full, but not stressful) and a good sign of days to come.

SIS

*I still hesitate to use "the R word" because I'm in my thirties and life is uncertain. But we're FI, living off our SWR, and basically working for kicks at this point.

Went with DS and DH to Longwood Gardens to see their Christmas display and get out of the house. It's about two hours away from home. It was by far the coldest day since last winter. The conservatory was stunning and the walking was just what I needed to combat my tendency toward being a couch potato in winter
+1 Love Longwood Gardens! Thanks for the memory refreshment!
Used to go about 2-3 times a year and Xmas displays were always fantastic! Haven't been back now in many a year since working overseas but family is still in the area and hope to take my wife there once we retire!
:flowers:

Today marked my first day of semi-retirement*. :dance:

I slept in, wrote until lunchtime (my favorite hobby), exercised at the gym, and worked from home for 2 hours in the afternoon. Then I ran some errands on foot and snagged a Piroshki at Pike Place Market. Apparently there's is a Piroshki happy hour from four p.m. to close. Who knew?

It was a fun day (full, but not stressful) and a good sign of days to come.

SIS

*I still hesitate to use "the R word" because I'm in my thirties and life is uncertain. But we're FI, living off our SWR, and basically working for kicks at this point.

That's awesome! Congratulations SIS! :dance:

I'm a bit ahead of you, semi-FIRED in mid-2014, and a lot ahead of you in years. But, I too remember my first day (did an E-R post about it) and it was a wonderful feeling. I remember feeling like I had to fit as much stuff into the day (and it was literally 24hrs) as I could. Don't quite still have the 'first day urgency' but, I do find myself trying to do as much as possible...interspersed with bouts of just sitting on the deck and staring. :D

Enjoy your newfound freedom.

Got in an early AM walk on the beach, sort of, in between storms. It rained last night and a big storm is due any moment... but it was not raining at 6:30am when the dog and I arrived. Unfortunately, storm surge meant there wasn't a lot of beach - so I had to do some of the walk through the neighborhood - on the street side of the beach front mansions.

The stormy weather brought out the surfers... waves were 8-10 feet and decent form. The surf report said there would be rogue 15 foot waves. I'm certain the surfers were hoping for that.

On the way home I picked up some beef for a stew. It's supposed to be a huge/rain filled storm so a crock pot of stew should make the home feel/smell cozy.

Task today is help DH with the next step of his petition to transfer his mother's guardianship. It is finally moving forward. It needs to happen so that he can sell her home in Kentucky (which will provide additional funds for the memory care unit.) He started the process to transfer the guardianship last August - so it's huge that it appears it may be finally moving forward - and might even be complete in about a month.

That's awesome! Congratulations SIS! :dance:

I'm a bit ahead of you, semi-FIRED in mid-2014, and a lot ahead of you in years. But, I too remember my first day (did an E-R post about it) and it was a wonderful feeling. I remember feeling like I had to fit as much stuff into the day (and it was literally 24hrs) as I could. Don't quite still have the 'first day urgency' but, I do find myself trying to do as much as possible...interspersed with bouts of just sitting on the deck and staring. :D

Enjoy your newfound freedom.

Thanks! :) It's day two and I feel like I'm getting away with something and that any minute now I'll get caught and returned to the office.

(Is that the theme from Cops I hear?)

Mostly kidding.

Have a great day everyone. And Huston55 - I aspire to learn how to relax on a deck and drop some of my urgency. That sounds quite nice.

SIS

I just kind of lazed about today. Finished a library book, one of four I checked out a while ago. I should take them back and get some more but the high today is 34° and I just don't want to deal with it. The cold DW shared with me is rapidly improving so I should be over that in a few more days, then we're both back to the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom