What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started out, I was just going to get the mail.

Then I noticed the neglected apple trees. I should have been pruning them, but never have. After reviewing University of Youtube, I pruned two apple trees.

The black spray I put on the open cuts also said it seals gutters, so I climbed on the roof and sealed a leaky gutter. I noticed one span of gutter that I hadn't removed this season's leaves, so I cleared leaves from the gutter.

Even though I hadn't gotten the mail yet, I was distracted by some white specs in the gutter that looked like insulation, and sure enough, the tree rats got into the attic again! This time in a new spot. After attending U of Y again, I made and installed a one-way squirrel door.

DW interrupted me before I could put away the ladder and asked me to help with her bathroom project, so I installed two new LED light fixtures. Ladder still outside, I did a quick craigslist post (free-stuff) to get rid of the old fixtures, towel bars, etc.

As I was putting away the ladder, I heard the spigot on the side of the house hissing, and sure enough, the last freeze caused it to leak, so I replaced the valve seat washer on the outdoor spigot. The mailbox, still unchecked, I finally went out there.

I saw the mail truck come and go, but peering in the mailbox? Nothing. So I failed to get the mail.

Thank you for reminding me why we don't own a home any more! LOL I'm tired just *reading* about your day. :)

NW Bound, To me, the molding should be white to match the other molding. The darker molding jumps out at you, at least in the picture.

I have a pneumatic 2-in-1 brad/staple nail gun from Harbor Freight. I bought it on sale quite a few years ago, and could not have paid more than $30.

It served me faithfully for many home projects, and the only drawback is that I have to haul indoors my portable compressor which weighs 50 lbs.

I bought a small cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight with one of their 20% off coupons just so I don't have to carry the heavy one. Works great. Lot of little projects get done now because it is easy to carry the nailer and the compressor.

Much obliged.

Just now, I noticed that the moldings on the stair landing that I reused are darker than the new stairsteps which are natural-color oak. In daylight, the moldings which match the rest of the existing stained doors and trims throughout the house did not look so dark. Hmmm... Should I ignore this color mismatch?

Looks fine to me.

I would paint the trim white, but, as the French say, à chacun son goût.

Looks fine to me.
i agree - the contrast actually looks appealing, as if one had meticulously planned it that way. If it were me, that would be my story, and I'd be stickin' to it.

I bought a small cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight with one of their 20% off coupons just so I don't have to carry the heavy one. Works great. Lot of little projects get done now because it is easy to carry the nailer and the compressor.

That is why I like my electric cordless brad nailer... no need for a compressor.... just slap in a battery and go. No hose either.

Trying out the new CNC machine in the shop today. Cutting a box with a 3D bark design in a piece of walnut. Will take a few hours to cut but a good test to make sure all is working and that the dust vacuum will get the sawdust okay.

Attachments

• stingertest.jpg
    stingertest.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 21
Bought some reading glasses to replace the pair that was stolen by aliens.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Got my room painted. Well still have to do the trim but have to let the walls cure first. Good excuse to watch the game!

Bought some reading glasses to replace the pair that was stolen by aliens. ...

My Dad routinely had that same problem... but they ultimately return them so he had something like 24 pairs of readers that we found here there and everywhere after he passed on. We thought that perhaps some of them had babies and that grew up.

My Dad routinely had that same problem... but they ultimately return them so he had something like 24 pairs of readers that we found here there and everywhere after he passed on. We thought that perhaps some of them had babies and that grew up.

After my cataract surgery I have needed readers, too. I have been getting them from Amazon, at 3 for $10. So, I splurged and ordered 6 right off the bat. I think I still know where 5 of them are.... probably? :LOL:

As for what I did today, well, it's still early but it's Lundi Gras in New Orleans so we don't have much planned. The entire city is crazy by this time and tomorrow will be just as bad. I doubt we can get to the gym or that it would even be open today. My guess is that we'll stay home, and if so I might do my taxes. Also for a break, I might walk 1/2 block down to the major parade route that runs by our houses, and catch a few beads.

Last edited:
Filed my Federal tax return - hopefully before an impostor did.

We have a questions reguarding your taxe return. Please post you're date of birth and social security numbering on our websight: irs.nigeria.gov...

I'd love an impostor to pay what I owe.

:D

heh heh heh - gonna stall right down close to the wire when I have to cough up some dough. :greetings10:

And And the DW is home early - Jury duty only needed 54/62 and she wasn't called. The rest of the day is now FREE!

Last edited:

I'd love an impostor to pay what I owe.

:D

I filed my 2010 return at the same time I filed my 2011 return. I was expecting a refund, so there is no penalty for a delay. Plus I was in Mexico.

However, there *is* a 'stupid' penalty. I paid that one. Big time. I finally got my return in early 2015. All of this due to an imposter.

The imposter filed under my name and SS from an address in Utah, a state I've never lived in. They filed for a $9K refund. They filed in late January of 2011, evidently. So when *I* filed, it shows up as a second return. I did not indicate that I was amending a return, so the computer kicks it over to an investigative unit which sends me a notice about the discrepancies in the two filings. I called and started a long, bureaucratic process. :mad:

First, I had to verify who I was. After that, I had to resubmit my return. Yes, they already had a copy. It didn't matter. :facepalm: Eventually someone told me I was cleared and that the refund was on the way. Every few months someone told me the same thing, and expressed surprise that the money was still sitting in their account. I finally turned the case over to a Tax Advocate, the main benefit of which was that I no longer had to sit on hold for extended periods.

This last spring my $651 refund check (yes, a paper check) arrived at my state-side address. I deposited it in April, I believe.

The only way to thwart this sort of issue is to file early. It is the *second* return which is forced to prove their identity, not the first, apparently. Every year I now have to file with an additional PIN # generated by the IRS. PITA.

Yes, filing by April 15 keeps your money in your pocket longer, but is it really *that* much money you gain? Is it worth the possibility of going through this level of hassle?

I think not...:nonono:

Put a micro SD card into my phone. Should stop choking it.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

You all motivated me to file my return today. Had it all ready to go... just had to do a final review and file.

I'm jealous of all the people filing their taxes already.
It will still be another week or so before Fidelity sends out 1099s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom