What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
This showed up in my email this morning, apparently by way of Facebook. I'm not even ON Facebook! (but I did have the pleasure of seeing the original guys just before Christmas) This is a version by Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers. Helps to have spies out there!
Nice! Kazoo solo!

If this came via FB you must have had an account in the past. Remember, FaceBook, like herpes, is forever. :nonono:

I saw her/them last year at Delfest. They put on a good show.

Hall and Oates are going to be at Okeechobee Fest when I go next week. Not a band I was ever interested in, but I saw a Daryl's House episode on MTV recently, and maybe I'll enjoy it more than I thought.

Last edited:
Last night we took the train into the city to see the touring production of Dirty Dancing. Tonight we are seeing Hair again. We saw it last week and really enjoyed the music and dancing.

Went skiing again yesterday. Clear skies, no wind, in the thirties nice packed powder. The vistas from the top of the mountain were totally awesome. Every ski day is great, but some are more perfect than others!

Day off from work and was expecting to do a few chores and put in serious time on a freelance.

But...FIL called last night. Couldn't get any output from his keyboard. He did clean it, with no luck.

Grabbed a spare keyboard and shot over to the residence. He obviously spilled something on the keyboard. Looked like whiteout. Also said he cleaned the entire keyboard but that did not help. He showed me the Green Works spray bottle he used.

Afterwards he spoke about some serious end of life matters. I love that man. This is a sad day, but I don't mind at all.

Got Schwab accounts and deposit set up. Made initial fund purchase. First time back in the market since.....2011?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

DW bought a Samsung galaxy tablet. Spent a good bit of yesterday and today trying to figure out how it works. It is Android OS.

Set up the secure wifi acces of the device to the house's router, piece of cake. Disabled a bunch of helpful reporting (spying) features.

Seems google had everything neatly sown up on the device. But DW wanted Firefox on it. Google would not allow Firefox install without setting up an account. She did not want a google account. Or gmail, what to do?

Well, found a third party online program that got Firefox downloaded, and is now installed. Then she wanted her bookmarks. FF has a neat sync feature which handily did the deed. Though this version of FF seems to have different setups than windoze version. Anywhoo, it is done. Naturally adblock plus was added.

Next she wanted her email accounts. Some fiddling, that too is done. Pretty easy that was.

Hardest part was figuring out where the "Master" sync feature was turned off.

It is now in her hands and happily exploring.

Another tech support job.

Last edited:
Hermit, Where are the pics?

Target2019, That was a good deed you did for your FIL.

Dixonge, This is your first time back in the stock market since 2011? Why was that?

Is99, Can I borrow you? My husband has no interest in learning the setup of our electronics. I get it done but it takes me forever plus many calls to my 12 yo nephew.

I was fairly busy today. I assembled two swivel bar stools for our counter top eating area. I wired an additional light fixture in the attic to give us more light. As a favor, I cut down and removed a smallish pine tree for our neighbor then worked a little on removing the remnants of a very large stump near our driveway. In my workshop I’m redesigning the layout of my tools so I cut down a 10 ft counter top into two 5 ft sections. Then stained some IPE trim for a honey-do project coming up. Re-programmed the alarm system in our house to shorten the extry/exit time. Swept the garage. Rebuilt the pump sprayer then sprayed the yard for weeds.

A normal day around here. How did I ever find time to work!

I just purchased two one gallon tomato plants and transplanted them. I am so glad I do not get those dinky 4 inch pots any more!
These plants are about 2 feet high

Busy day today. Early am walk with the pooch on the beach. Huge waves had all the surfers out. Came home and worked out on the elliptical. Showered and made it to Costco at opening time. Made it home, got groceries stowed before heading out to meet a friend to see Deadpool. Had to leave straight from there to go to pickup the kids at school - with just enough time to stop and get milk at Sprouts. Kids are home - but I'm about to head out to take older son to spanish tutoring. When that's over we'll have dinner then head out to younger son's basketball game.

DD came down to visit for the weekend. We went to the cinema to see "Deadpool" and then had an enjoyable dinner out.

Deadpool was fun to watch, especially for anyone interested in learning new insults or obscenities.

That made me laugh. My sons really want to see it. Now that I've seen it - NO WAY. Not teenager appropriate at all (my boys are 13 and 15). My friend had the same opinion (and also has a 13 year old boy who's dying to see it.)

I put a new AM/FM radio in my friend's 1994 Cadillac Sedan Deville. The OEM radio lost it's tuner and was humming on AM stations. The unit I put in was a Pioneer with Bluetooth and all kinds of goodies and inputs. The mounting kit that came with the radio did not match up with the dash opening so I had to fabricate mounting brackets and fit it to the kit face plate and mount it into the available space. It looked just fine when finished.

I also installed (earlier) a new aftermarket power antenna fitted to the rear fender. All works better than original and now he has Bluetooth for his phone and an AUX and USB inputs for devices.

Took the pooch for a beach walk at dawn. Then started working on our summer vacation plans. No 9 week trip in 5 countries this year... Just a simple 3 cities over 2 weeks. DC/Philly/NYC. I was surpised to see airfare dropped below what I'd been seeing...so once I booked the flights I felt free to start locking in the paid locations in DC and NYC. (We're sponging off friends/family for the week in Philly.)

Now DH is watching a hockey game and I'm surfing the net and hanging out here.

Help son and dil move. They have an 18mth old and another due in two weeks. Been working a lot the last few weeks getting the house ready and now was move in day. Looong day!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

DW and I met my buddy's son (Navy pilot) and his trainee at the airport, inspected their plane, and took them to dinner.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Today we took a stroll through a Japanese Garden and then attended a community theater play.

Success!
After weeks of experiments and many good-but-not-great meals, I finally perfected my homemade pastrami. Every bit as good as what I used to get at a NYC deli, and the first bite took me back there.

The key, I think lies in two of the steps. Forget about starting with supermarket corned beef; you have to get a good brisket and corn it yourself.

The other part is the rub. This was a stepwise progression as DW and I discussed the finer points of my various attempts. But when you get it exactly to your taste it's awesome!

Another master recipe for my file. Now if I could only get some good NYC rye bread for a sandwich here in flyover country I'd be all set.

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 22
Led a 5.5 mile hike in the snow for the Sierra Club. Amazingly, it was 64 degrees here in SE Michigan, today. We use Meetup to organize the hikes and it draws in a pretty nice cross section of ages, education levels and nationalities.

Last edited:
Success!
After weeks of experiments and many good-but-not-great meals, I finally perfected my homemade pastrami. Every bit as good as what I used to get at a NYC deli, and the first bite took me back there.

The key, I think lies in two of the steps. Forget about starting with supermarket corned beef; you have to get a good brisket and corn it yourself.

The other part is the rub. This was a stepwise progression as DW and I discussed the finer points of my various attempts. But when you get it exactly to your taste it's awesome!

Another master recipe for my file. Now if I could only get some good NYC rye bread for a sandwich here in flyover country I'd be all set.

That looks so good .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom