What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a really strange encounter with Priceline today . I needed a rental car for next week & the rates were high so I decided to give Priceline a try . I bid $39 & was rejected so I bid $42 & was rejected . Last try was $46 & I was rejected but they offered me a car from Budget for $31 . I am still laughing about this !

One of the things I love most about weekends in ER is no more weekend chores!

Yesterday, Saturday, I performed my usual two hour wake up over coffee and my Kindle HD, then spent almost three hours at the gym doing cardio and yoga. Lunch was spent at a restaurant with a room full of Lifelong Learning friends listening to a terrific jazz ensemble made up of a group of retirees now all in their 70's. Afterward we spent about two hours walking around and checking out the new shops and restaurants that have opened here in the last 12 months or so. Meandering about like this, is something we never, ever would have felt relaxed enough to do during our working years, a fact upon which my DH even commented.

We ended our afternoon jaunt-about with some free wine tasting at Total Wine, then spent the evening at home enjoying a terrifically smokey chipotle chili I made earlier in the day, followed by My Left Foot via Netflix.

Today, Sunday, I've spent the morning reviewing and doing Spanish homework. Now I'm off the gym for an hour, before cleaning up and heading out to lunch, followed by a live production of The Miracle Worker. Dinner will be at home - honey soy glazed salmon, brown rice and roasted asparagus.

The kids and grandkids arrive tomorrow, so we are enjoying our little weekend calm before the storm. :)

I looked at the 15 day forecast and decided I could safely "summarize" the snow blower and tucked it away in the barn until next fall.

Around here that's practically an order for more snow even though in two days we're getting 70° weather. We've seen snow as late as mid-April so I don't dare put it away before then.

Inspected front and back yard contemplating what needs to be done to kill the new crop of weeds, re-establish grass and trim trees. Now I just need to talk myself into getting going. Maybe next week.

Here in St. Paul it is a balmy 60 degrees. But anything can happen through mid-Mary so no doubt there will be snow again, even lots of it.

I spent the weekend staining woodwork. It looks beautiful--completely renewed. Next, a nice coat of Danish oil.

Sunny California

After last night's rain dropped almost 2 inches, the skies cleared and it is a beautiful day. The first Sunday of the month at our local airport is Open Hangar Day, so i took the little dog we are dog sitting with me to look at the airplanes.

Attachments

• 0301-110713.jpg
    0301-110713.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 0102-121849.jpg
    0102-121849.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 17
I went and talked to a dealer about the 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT. He didn't need to talk about the car. I talked to the car and it was beautiful. I haven't signed yet....yet

There is no logical fiscal reason why I want to get this car...

Reminds me of my taste in women..lol

Last edited:
I spent the morning taking care of emails and other tasks on the computer.

A while ago there was a post about how to find out how much you have spent at Amazon. I finally worked up the courage to run the report. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated -- roughly $13K since 1998. What was a little alarming is that I had almost 70 shipments in 2015....keeping that UPS driver busy!

I also just submitted a j*b application! It's with a whitewater rafting company that DH and I worked for 20+ years ago. It's very close to our vacation home, where I spend most of my time in the summer. The money is not much, but that's not the point. If I get the j*b as a rafting guide, it means I will get paid to spend my day on the river. There's also some fringe benefits such as free rides on the bike shuttle that the same company runs, so I could do some nice long rides on the rails-to-trails path without having to arrange drop off/pick up.

I went and talked to a dealer about the 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT. He didn't need to talk about the car. I talked to the car and it was beautiful. I haven't signed yet....yet

I just went and looked at photos of that car on Edmunds dot com. It leaves me cold, doesn't do a thing for me. Blech. :dead: If you gave me one, I'd sell it without even going on a test drive.

So, my conclusion is that you truly must want this car if it looks so beautiful to you! You should most definitely consider it. :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

Exactly!

As much as I love my Dream House, I think it probably would not excite most people. It's over 50 years old, kind of small, and the decor hasn't been renovated very much. But to me it is the most beautiful, perfect home one could ever have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So, I think notmuchlonger should buy that car, even though it leaves me cold.

Just closed on DM's house. Whew. :)
Turns out this wasn't quite over. During the weekend I was organizing my files, and looking over the closing statement noticed that the realtor's commission was mis-calculated. They shortchanged the buyer's realtor by $90. I sent an email to my attorney pointing this out, she quickly figured out what happened. I'll put a check in the mail tomorrow morning to square things.

Sheesh, a room full of well-educated people, a basic math mistake, and no one checks the numbers. And we want people to manage their own retirement finances!

I suspect that's more common than we would like to think. When we closed on our home last year, when they passed over the legal description for us to initial, we noticed that they had slipped in a couple of pages from somebody else's closing documents. Instead of a little condo, we were apparently buying a multi-million dollar office building in another city.

Pointed it out to the closing guy from the title company, who just shook his head and promised to send us the correct paperwork the next day. He did.

Saw one of the Google self-driving cars today for the first time.
DSC07808.jpg

It was in heavy pre-rush hour traffic on a freeway. We saw it make a tight lane change.

Saw one of the Google self-driving cars today for the first time.

It was in heavy pre-rush hour traffic on a freeway. We saw it make a tight lane change.

Wow!!! That would scare me so much! :LOL: Did it bother you to see a car with no driver like that?

What I did today: Went to my routine doctor appointment and he was ecstatic with my blood tests, especially my A1C which was essentially back down to where it was before I was diagnosed with Type 2 last summer. He said all my other blood tests were normal too. I don't understand why my lab test results were so good, but then he also said I lost 2 pounds that I didn't think I lost. (Hint: How to make a woman like me happy: tell her she lost weight and got healthier.)

Then I came home and found out that while I was at my Dr appointment, F was at a restaurant where he played just one and only one game of poker at a video poker machine and won $1,045.00 !!!! They gave it to him all in cash, in small bills, so he flashed that big wad of cash at me to see how I would react. I am so predictable (jaw drops, eyes as big as saucers :2funny: ).

Last edited:

For $62,495 you can get the 707 HP version, but there is a waiting list. Me, I'd add a few grand more and try to buy back my 1965 Corvette Stingray roadster, but DW would have me killed if I did that.:facepalm:

Today: spread a bag of "weed & feed" on the lawn in preparation for the coming rain this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom