What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
(yesterday actually) I officiated a wedding. The processional for the bride was "When You Wish Upon a Star". The recessional was "Zip a Dee Doo Dah". Yes, she's a big Disney fan.

We went to a railroad museum and took a short ride on a historic train.

Went out for a test drive this afternoon. Actually, two. Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy. They're both nice.
Took each for another test drive. Even better the second time around. :)

I'd spec'd out a new desktop a while ago, went to the Apple Store with a friend last week and grilled the expert (good stuff!), and ordered it - a new iMac - today. Should be here soon and then on to the overdue adventure of moving away from Windows.

Went to the grocery store and bought a marked down leg of lamb. Had them cut it into 1.5 in steaks and a shank. Vacuum sealed the steaks, will roast the shank for supper tomorrow. Likely on a bed of rice and herbs.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Did a spring tuneup on my car, Italian style. 4 mile long steep hill, 2nd gear, floor it ' till I made it to the top. It did not kill it, must have cured it, at least of carbon buildup :)

Today, Monday, woke up at 3:30 AM - a frequent enough occurrence that I now just go with it rather than fight it. Two hours of coffee and Kindle HD time, Spanish homework, then off to gym to continue my shin splints recovery. I did six miles, and though the leg tweaked on me quite a bit during the last two miles, it's far improved over the initial onset some five weeks ago. Afterward, raced home and into the shower to make my Skype-Spanish lesson. When that was done, did the meal planning and grocery shopping for an interesting week ahead - three days of company followed by three days of backpacking. Managed to squeeze in a little shopping (hello new Calvin Klein handbag ;) ), then home to wash and vacuum out both cars in anticipation of driving our company around. In between making dinner, prepared two sets of in-advance appetizers and desserts, then crawled into my PJ's and into bed with a book.

The way this works for us in ER, is that we have these crazy-busy days on occasion, but primarily when pushing to get things done in advance of a series of fun days, like the six upcoming ones. Very little of anything resembling productive will occur between now and next Sunday. Instead it'll be hike and eat, bike and eat, and backpack and eat.

Last edited:
The painters started on the outside of our house, painting the front, chimney and three dormers yesterday, just before it started drizzling rain which continued all night. I awoke this morning to find streams of diluted paint washing from the sides of the chimney and dormers, down the roof and onto the front sidewalk. :nonono:

A call to the crew supervisor and his crew came out to wash the roof and sidewalk, and promise me they would repaint the affected areas.

I just got back from a day in the big city. DD, her fiance and his parents had a meeting to work finances for their wedding. Everyone seemed happy with the results. DD and future SIL are pretty frugal so it was pretty easy. His parents joined the meeting on Skype.

After the meeting DD, future SIL, and I went out to eat at Bonefish Grill. The meal was very nice. Unfortunately, an elderly lady stumbled and fell as she was passing our table. She hit her head on the floor hard enough for a bloody nose, but seemed to be otherwise OK. The staff did a superb job of taking care of her. I'm sure it put a damper on her and her husband's evening.

Baked brownies for weekend backpack, then out the door for an 11 mile coastal hike. It was a glorious day, and we saw a roadrunner, dolphins and two whales. Back home, am preparing mushroom risotto for dinner. Well earned!

Finally broke down and signed up for a lawn-mowing service. $25 weekly for around the house and $50 every other week to include the "south forty" that goes down to the woods, this to keep the critters from getting too close. This is of course a criteria of DW. If the critters happen to get a glimpse of my bare butt in the window and are traumatized, my position is that's their fault for peeping.

Had a contractor out to give us an estimate on replacing our fence. 6' cedar fences are de rigeur in this part of TX, and ours has seen far better days.

The painters started on the outside of our house, painting the front, chimney and three dormers yesterday, just before it started drizzling rain which continued all night. I awoke this morning to find streams of diluted paint washing from the sides of the chimney and dormers, down the roof and onto the front sidewalk. :nonono:...
No photos?

The painters started on the outside of our house, painting the front, chimney and three dormers yesterday, just before it started drizzling rain which continued all night. I awoke this morning to find streams of diluted paint washing from the sides of the chimney and dormers, down the roof and onto the front sidewalk. :nonono:

A call to the crew supervisor and his crew came out to wash the roof and sidewalk, and promise me they would repaint the affected areas.

One would think they'd be smart enough to check the weather forecast before painting. :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

On my one-year anniversary of ER, I set an alarm to wake up. The horror! It was necessary, because I had a lot to do today.

I had an early breakfast, did some sewing while I digested my oatmeal, then out for my 5-mile run. Then I showered and grabbed an early lunch before driving to Princeton for the "skills" portion of Red Cross Adult CPR/AED/first aid training. Then play courier for DH, who needed something dropped off on my way home.

I'm finally home, but we may go out for dinner. I'm too tired to cook, and we a sick of eating leftover ham.

Brutal day. Tried to find cost basis of a real estate trust that I inherited 25 years ago and has been through multiple mergers; scanned several years of tax records; did some woodworking, moved my hibiscus out of my workshop for some natural light; On call in case MIL needs a ride to her masseuse for an emergency massage; trying to talk my niece out of buying a questionable vacant lot ($7k?)

Had a contractor out to give us an estimate on replacing our fence. 6' cedar fences are de rigeur in this part of TX, and ours has seen far better days.

I have had four fence contractors come to our house . One did not show . The second one gave an incorrect quote . The third one showed up gave an acceptable quote so we called him to proceed and he never calls back . I hate getting projects done in Florida . Hopefully now that the snowbirds are leaving we may get a response .Hopefully it is easier in Texas .

One would think they'd be smart enough to check the weather forecast before painting. :-(

Maybe they were going on the assumption that that part of Texas had it's rain for the decade last year.

Yesterday my lawn guy mowed my new lawn for the first time. Here, you cannot mow newly sodded lawns for about a month while they are taking root. But the time passed, and it was ready. My lawn guy is wise about grass, and he set the mower high for this first mow to be gentle on it.

It looks great. :D Green, luxuriant, thriving, all that I had hoped for. Moreso than in my avatar photo, which was taken ten days ago.

So, today I did some very light work (basically very little) outside in my new yard for a while, enjoying the pleasant weather, until the wind kicked up too much. But overall, what a lovely day. Rain is predicted for tomorrow.

I ordered a new camping mat to replace one we gave to one of the kids. I bought an instant tent awhile back but we needed a comfy mat before we could plan a trip. The new mats fold out and the new tent pops up, so hopefully this will be a quicker set up than the gear we had in the past.

In the evening we went into the city and saw the play Act of God with Sean Hayes. The audience was really laughing a lot and give a standing ovation at the end. The dialogue had a lot of San Francisco centric jokes the writers must have added just for the run here.

OK, I'll play today:

So far:

Had coffee with the ROMEO group at 7:30 AM,

Had breakfast at Denny's with an old friend,

Stopped ay VW dealer to schedule a warranty repair (P202B - DEF heater failure),

Walked the dog (again),

Checked e-mail,

Planned the rest of the day.

(if I do anything as important as above during the rest of the day, I will edit this post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom