What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it as bad as the critics say? Or as good as the box office take says?
No and no. DW and I have much different preferences WRT films but both used the same word to describe this - confusing. It certainly was a "big screen" production, with impressive special effects. Someone who only goes to the cinema once or twice a year might want to skip this. We go regularly and don't expect every film to be great.

Spent way too much time Friday, Saturday and today verbally arm wrestling with a painting contractor who doesn't seem to want to live up to the contract I signed to paint the exterior of our house. The problem is the second coat required in the agreement. The crew did a nice job of applying one coat of paint last week, but indicated on Friday that after some touch up they would be done.

After a couple of conversations with the the crew supervisor and a phone call to the owner on Saturday, the owner said the crew supervisor would take care of it. The crew came out today and put a second coat on the siding but was about to pack up and leave without adding the second coat to the soffits and fascia. Another call to the supervisor and the owner, and supposedly the crew supervisor is now on his way out with the additional paint needed to finish the job per the contract.

According to the owner it has all been a "problem with communication". I suspect it's more a problem of not expecting a customer home all day watching what the painters actually did, not the usual working couple who weren't around to see that no second coat was applied. :nonono:

Yeah, whaddya do all day...

According to the owner it has all been a "problem with communication". I suspect it's more a problem of not expecting a customer home all day watching what the painters actually did, not the usual working couple who weren't around to see that no second coat was applied. :nonono:

Yeah, whaddya do all day...
Communications is when it happens once. The second time it does look more like a business model.

I started re-painting the outside of my house. Now that the weather is better I think the time has come. Need to give the place a bit of a face-lift!

Picked up DW and her friend at the airport at midnight. Home at 2 am. Running at 9 am. Picked up an antique bed that my niece and I are going to fix up for her daughter. More scanning & decluttering. Should have everything in our files converted to pdf's by the ned of the week.

REWahoo, MichaelB, and WoodM, you all are making me glad that my new-to-me dream house has a brick exterior so it doesn't need painting. The doors and trim can wait. :)

But today I made an appointment for my termite man to come and give me an estimate for a complete re-treatment. It's a great time of year to get outdoor home maintenance like this done, before the summer heat sets in. It isn't supposed to rain for a week.

I noticed that at least half a dozen houses on my block decided to get a little concrete work done this past month, after I had my sidewalks and other concrete work done. I never saw new sidewalks that looked so pretty, until I saw MY new concrete sidewalks. :LOL: I guess that is human psychology at work.

Last edited:
After three full days wearing it, I've finally mastered using my new Apple Watch.

I swore I'd never buy one, but I broke down last week when I got a big unexpected rebate from a credit card I'd forgotten about. Combined with the recent price cut, it just seemed reasonable, since it was found money.

Main reason was the fitness tracking capabilities built into it, and I'm happy to report that I really like it.

After three full days wearing it, I've finally mastered using my new Apple Watch.

I swore I'd never buy one, but I broke down last week when I got a big unexpected rebate from a credit card I'd forgotten about. Combined with the recent price cut, it just seemed reasonable, since it was found money.

Main reason was the fitness tracking capabilities built into it, and I'm happy to report that I really like it.

I retired my watch when I retired. :D

REWahoo, MichaelB, and WoodM, you all are making me glad that my new-to-me dream house has a brick exterior so it doesn't need painting. ...

I was thinking the same thing. We went with a nice (but expensive) vinyl faux cedar shake when we built the house and garage. As a friend says...vinyl is final. Also, the cedar shake is much thicker than clapboard styles.

Bought a new bathroom sink and faucet and plumbing supplies, gonna re-do the old cheap chipped enameled steel POS builder sink in the bathroom.

May i ask where? I work on a tourist train in CA

It was the Western Railway Museum in Suisun City. We had a nice time. They let us bring our dog on the train.

We also go on the Niles Canyon Railroad Train now and then and enjoy the Railroad Museum in Sacramento, though we never end up going to the RR museum when their trains are running. Maybe this year we will plan it better and try out one of their train trips, too.

Last edited:
I broke a glass, one of a pair of low ball glasses I had carried from Ohio in my shoulder bag.
For some reason this made me cry

I need to find another garage sale so I have a pair of glasses for sipping/toasting.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Such a beautiful California day here in the foothills, so today I went skiing and when I got home around 1pm, DW and I took the top off our Suzuki Samurai and drove out to Amador County Flower Farm for a picnic.

The Samurai was my winter project. I completely restored it. Just finished reinstalling the transmission after rebuilding that and a new clutch, and now we get to play with it!

(I found the Samurai in Nevada sitting behind a barn. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there, but the dry climate sure was nice to it. After some buffing, that's the original paint you see there; black.)

img_1716009_0_dc22f52906efd6b280cbcc35f33568f3.jpg

img_1716009_1_a26ea76dc69fc437a2d698ff57d5600f.jpg

Last edited:
That is a really neat barn find! But I guess they usually are or they wouldn't be "finds".

Still, it has to be exciting to come across something like that and put it back on the road.

Such a beautiful California day here in the foothills, so today I went skiing and when I got home around 1pm, DW and I took the top off our Suzuki Samurai and drove out to Amador County Flower Farm for a picnic.

The Samurai was my winter project. I completely restored it. Just finished reinstalling the transmission after rebuilding that and a new clutch, and now we get to play with it!

(I found the Samurai in Nevada sitting behind a barn. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there, but the dry climate sure was nice to it. After some buffing, that's the original paint you see there; black.)

img_1716029_0_dc22f52906efd6b280cbcc35f33568f3.jpg

img_1716029_1_a26ea76dc69fc437a2d698ff57d5600f.jpg

That looks really sharp! How about a pic with the top off?

Does this mean the ski season is over? :(

Posting from a hospital bed again. Monday afternoon the pain got so bad we went to the ER, they did yet another ultrasound looking for a blood clot or something to account for the source of all this pain. After doing another, they did find a psudoaneurysm. The local hospital cannot do this specialized procedure so they amublanced me down to another one in Virginia. Collectively they've tried the "wait and see if it resolves on it's own" approach, the "ultrasound-guided compression repair" (Ouch!) and tomorrow they're going to try the ultrasound-guided compression repair. If that doesn't work it is surgery. This is wearing thin and not at all what I anticipated in retirement.

OTOH, I'm grateful that I live in a part of the world where this medical care is available and that I have good insurance that will make it easily affordable for me. Apart from sporadic episodes of short duration I am in little to no pain and they give me some nice drugs to take care of it. But dagnabit, they're still refusing my takeout requests for the drugs. And no wine list with dinner, can you believe it?! Yes, I know, first world problem.

All in all though I still don't make this out to be more than a mid-range irritant/inconvenience. Yes, there is risk of anything happening in surgery, but this is almost to the level of about routine, not ground-breaking or anything, the hospital staff are great, so I'm optimistic for a good outcome and hopefully I'll be out and recovered soon, camera in hand, getting some late-spring flower photos.

I'll be looking forward to seeing those pictures! Hope you get out of there soon.

BTW, you're making my complaints about the weather seem pretty trivial.

Thanks for the good wishes all. DW is handing it as well as can be expected, she knows that this is not outwardly life-threatening but still, she worries, as anyone would. One of her sisters is a retired nurse so there is that source of information to go to, and of course she does. If nothing else the SIL knows the vocabulary and where to look for valid information and what to ignore as nonsense.

All in all I'm optimistic I'll be out in a day or three and hopefully done with the pain.

I broke a glass, one of a pair of low ball glasses I had carried from Ohio in my shoulder bag.
For some reason this made me cry

I need to find another garage sale so I have a pair of glasses for sipping/toasting.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Check out the local goodwill store also if you have one nearby. That's where I got mine recently

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hang in there Wait! Things like this happen and before you know it, you will be out enjoying the sunshine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom