What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am floored that any adult human doesn't know about GST...:
Apparently some of us serve as 'floorers' in this world. Somebody has to do it. :)

...instead of playing games with the dealership and/or getting all upset:

As a gamer yourself, you know the challenge of competing against another in a game of skill. And as far as getting all upset, whining is a basic human right - you aren't suggesting I be denied those rights are you? :D

That's an interesting option I hadn't considered, with potential. :)

Apparently some of us serve as 'floorers' in this world. Somebody has to do it. :)

:LOL: Well, I guess everybody doesn't buy Toyotas every time like I do. I'll give you that. :)

As a gamer yourself, you know the challenge of competing against another in a game of skill. And as far as getting all upset, whining is a basic human right - you aren't suggesting I be denied those rights are you? :D
No way! Whine away. As long as you don't mind if I whine now and then, too.

Like, for example, about how unbelievably stressful and exhausting it was for me to move into the house of my dreams only three miles away. It was! I'm glad I did it although it sure took a lot out of me. I'm still recovering and moving day was last July 1st. I'm almost done with the improvements and contractors.

But anyway, getting upset is part of the human experience. Imagine how bland life would be, if nobody ever got upset about anything. All we would see is blank stares from one another. :) I just prefer to reserve my "upset-ness" to inflict on those I like (such as forum members) and/or care about (such as my dear F) rather than on a stupid car salesman.

Last edited:
I've bought my last 4 cars through COSTCO. Basically you get fleet rate and a no-BS fleet salesman compared to what usually happens. One of my vehicles, a 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 shortbed with diesel engine is worth more today than what I paid for it new!! Of course, a new truck is almost double today what they charged 10 years ago....

I did all my COSTCO deals over the phone or e-mails with the dealerships involved. I even made them e-mail me the forms to sign. When I eventually went in to pick up my new car or truck, there was very little to do. They did try and sell me extended service plans at that time, trying to scare me into thinking I'd get raped on charges later. I turned it around and told 'em thanks for the warning, that I didn't realize these cars broke so often that the extended service plan was so vital and that I would not be buying the car now because of what they told me. This basically resulted in them giving me the extended service plan or I would not have finalized the transaction. I bet they don't try selling me a plan using their scare tactics again. Ha!

Went Hiking to this place

I got lost and went hiking to a nearby mountain.

I register the car in FL, and haven't gone through the process yet, but when we were looking at cars in MD last year I asked about it and they said there wouldn't be a problem with getting it registered for FL. Of course, they're car dealers, so I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm pretty sure the sales tax will be MD, since that's where we will buy it.

No, I think the sale tax will be based on the state that you are registering the car in, not where you are buying it.

Don't bet on it.
I've bought a number of cars that I registered for the first time in other states.

The registering state DMV never cared where I paid the sales tax as long as I had a receipt to prove I paid it.

Had a flat on my old Silverado. It has a special "safety device" on the spare tire winch. Only other time I used it the EMTs had to rescue me! Big a $$ spring, part of the safety device, grabbed the meat of my middle finger and I was trapped. Struggled till I realized how ugly that would end, no one around so DW called 911. While I appreciated how nice they were last time I really didn't want to meet those folks again.

So I was a little nervous approaching the spare, for good reason. This time I followed each direction exactly, twice. Nope it's sure safe locked partially down, no one will ever get hurt driving that truck. Unknown to me DW calls triple A, the guy shows up. Asks if "I have a spare?" "Sure, I have one, you know why won't it come down?". "Oh yea that's too bad I only change tires." So he's gone.

I did find a utube showing how to go around the safety device. Takes two people and maybe I'll get it off. I may just forget about the spare and just get the flat fixed. Of course having a spare that doesn't come down is pretty silly.

Boy, haven't posted on this forum for quite a while. I'm currently in the middle of my second winter-stint in the Baja. Doesn't suck. :cool:
25595389293_7d5511b320_z_d.jpg

.....we get back up to MD before we buy it. We've looked at cars off and on the last couple of years, and the prices seem to be better up there. ....

In which state do you register the car and how do you deal with that?

I register the car in FL, and haven't gone through the process yet, but when we were looking at cars in MD last year I asked about it and they said there wouldn't be a problem with getting it registered for FL. Of course, they're car dealers, so I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm pretty sure the sales tax will be MD, since that's where we will buy it.

No, I think the sale tax will be based on the state that you are registering the car in, not where you are buying it.

Don't bet on it.
I've bought a number of cars that I registered for the first time in other states.

The registering state DMV never cared where I paid the sales tax as long as I had a receipt to prove I paid it.

My response was based on what an out-of-state car dealer told me for my transaction where I would essentially drive the car home and then immediately register it in my home state. There is no sales tax on vehicles in the state where the dealer is so that may be part of why they said what they did.

However harley should be careful, particularly if he is a FL resident in that it seems that you need to have owned the car for 6 months to get credit by FL for sales tax paid to MD. I suppose that FL doesn't want people buying cars elsewhere, immediately driving them to FL and then expecting to get a credit from FL for the sales tax paid to another state and FL missing out on that revenue.

Section 212.06(7), F.S., allows a credit to be given on tangible personal property brought into Florida where a like tax has been lawfully imposed and paid in another state. If the amount paid is equal to or greater than the amount imposed by Florida, no additional tax is due. If the amount is less than the amount imposed in Florida, only the difference between the two is due. However, it is presumed that tangible personal property used in another state, territory of the U.S., or the District of Columbia for six months or longer before being brought into Florida was not purchased for use in Florida; and therefore, no Florida tax is due.

They did try and sell me extended service plans at that time, trying to scare me into thinking I'd get raped on charges later. I turned it around and told 'em thanks for the warning, that I didn't realize these cars broke so often that the extended service plan was so vital and that I would not be buying the car now because of what they told me. This basically resulted in them giving me the extended service plan or I would not have finalized the transaction. I bet they don't try selling me a plan using their scare tactics again. Ha!

I love that tactic and I'll be sure to try it the next time I buy a new car, if I ever do.:LOL:

Fortunately the drama with my health issues seems to finally be resolved. After some internal miscommunication issues within the hospital they finally did the ultrasound-guided medication method described near the bottom of this page this afternoon. There is little to no pain left going on and as described they're freely administering the pain-killers as needed so no issues there. The main issue of discomfort was that I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight last night but they didn't get around to the procedure until nearly 3:00 PM so by then I was getting pretty hungry and borderline dehydrated. I'd seen that one coming and made sure to drink a lot of water before the spigot was cut off so not a big deal. Those issues have since been addressed and I'm actually feeling pretty good. DW is staying overnight at a cousin's house about 20 minutes away.

They're keeping me overnight just to make sure all this comes together but at the same time everyone expects to have me out of here by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

So, hopefully the atrial fibrillation issues that started me down this trail have been solved at least for a while and then the complications from the bleeding from within the catheterization site have also been fixed.

I hope to be back full bore at the gym within two to four weeks!:dance::dance::dance:

Wonderful news, Walt!! Couldn't hope for more. So glad you got through today's procedure smoothly. :dance:

Good news, Walt! Hope you are soon home and pain free and getting back to your normal happy retirement routine.

Walt, excellent news! Feel better asap.

However harley should be careful, particularly if he is a FL resident in that it seems that you need to have owned the car for 6 months to get credit by FL for sales tax paid to MD. I suppose that FL doesn't want people buying cars elsewhere, immediately driving them to FL and then expecting to get a credit from FL for the sales tax paid to another state and FL missing out on that revenue.

From the section you quoted it seems the worst I'd have to do is pay the difference between MD and FL. I think they're about the same, so no biggie. We're only in MD 4 or 5 months, so the car will be in FL well within 6 months.

Happy to hear that your medical problems have been fixed, Walt. Hopefully our weather will be warmer in 2-4 weeks and no more snow.

That's great news Walt. When do you get to go home?

....From the section you quoted it seems the worst I'd have to do is pay the difference between MD and FL. I think they're about the same, so no biggie. We're only in MD 4 or 5 months, so the car will be in FL well within 6 months.

I interpreted it differently. I interpreted it that unless the car was at least 6 months old when you try to register it in FL that FL will presume that you purchased it for use in FL and will want 6% of the purchase price AND will NOT give you a credit for any tax you paid to MD..... which is why I urged that you be cautious. I would call FL, tell them your plan and see what they tell you.

I don't think so, although I will double check before I head back up north. The rule you listed seems to have 3 parts.

Section 212.06(7), F.S., allows a credit to be given on tangible personal property brought into Florida where a like tax has been lawfully imposed and paid in another state. If the amount paid is equal to or greater than the amount imposed by Florida, no additional tax is due.
Pretty self explanatory. If you paid more tax than FL would have charged, nothing is due.

If the amount is less than the amount imposed in Florida, only the difference between the two is due.
If you paid less, you have to pay FL the difference.

However, it is presumed that tangible personal property used in another state, territory of the U.S., or the District of Columbia for six months or longer before being brought into Florida was not purchased for use in Florida; and therefore, no Florida tax is due.
If you've owned the car more than 6 months before registering it in FL, it wasn't intended for use in FL and you don't owe anything. That's the situation I had when I registered my 2004 Highlander down here a couple of years ago.

I think the taxes in MD and FL are just about the same, so I either won't owe anything or just a little bit. I probably won't buy the car for a couple months after we get back. But we may come back later than usual next year since we've got a new DGD on the way and will probably hang around to help with that until DD gets sick of us and sends us packing. But I doubt we'll own it for 6 months before we get back. And anyway, we'll be registering (in FL) as soon as we buy it, so moot point.

If you see something wrong with my interpretation, let me know. I'm pretty bad with legalese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom