What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went skiing yesterday for the last time this season. Beautiful day with clear skies and warm weather. The slopes started off hard but well groomed in the morning and were soft to slushy by the end of the day. The ski areas will be starting to close this weekend.

I found this on another website which seems to suggest that you would not owe anything since MD tax rate is the same as FL tax rate, but I would still call them to make sure.

New Resident Vehicle Sales Tax

The state of Florida may charge sales tax, use tax, and local discretionary taxes on your vehicle when you register it for the first time in Florida. Whether or not you pay the taxes depends on how long you have owned your vehicle.

Vehicle owned less than 6 months:
  • Owner is responsible for 6% Florida sales or use tax and any local discretionary taxes your new city or county might require.
  • Florida sales tax will be pro-rated based upon any taxes you paid in another state.
  • Example: You already paid 3% tax in previous state so you subtract that from the 6% tax owed to Florida. This means you owe 3% sales or use tax.

I have six things popping up on my Google calendar today, but I've decided I'm only doing two of them (attending an art alliance luncheon, and continuing with my DH's weekly cooking lesson). I love that this is an option in ER. Actually, this might be the very best part of ER.

I have six things popping up on my Google calendar today, but I've decided I'm only doing two of them (attending an art alliance luncheon, and continuing with my DH's weekly cooking lesson). I love that this is an option in ER. Actually, this might be the very best part of ER.

After slowly awakening at 7 AM following a good night's sleep, I lay there lazily for a minute or two. Then I thought "WTH" and rolled over and slept another two hours just because I could. I think that's a contender for the very best part of ER, as well. :D

Me and the dog returned home last night from a week long visit with DD and found two fence posts snapped along with three sections blown down. I missed some bad weather but had to repay Mother Nature by digging up and replacing the fence posts and repairing blown down sections.
Not a fun day

That's great news Walt. When do you get to go home?

We got home a few hours ago. The docs wanted to do one last ultrasound today to make sure all the bleeding had stopped before cutting me loose so that added a few hours to the exit process. Some cynics might say they were padding the bill but I prefer to think they were just being cautious, and that's fine by me. Aside from being danged inconvenient and potentially dangerous, this stuff hurts! My right leg and foot are still quite a bit swollen from the bleeding and I'll have to schedule follow-ups with my PCP and cardiologist tomorrow.

For now, instructions are to take it easy. Okay, I can manage that.:LOL:

YAY, Walt. Hope you are up and around soon.
edit: What will get the swelling down, meds or exercise?

We got home a few hours ago. The docs wanted to do one last ultrasound today to make sure all the bleeding had stopped before cutting me loose so that added a few hours to the exit process. Some cynics might say they were padding the bill but I prefer to think they were just being cautious, and that's fine by me. Aside from being danged inconvenient and potentially dangerous, this stuff hurts! My right leg and foot are still quite a bit swollen from the bleeding and I'll have to schedule follow-ups with my PCP and cardiologist tomorrow.

For now, instructions are to take it easy. Okay, I can manage that.:LOL:

That does not sound like fun (the swollen leg and foot, not the taking it easy) but so glad you are home. Was transradial catheterization (through the wrist) for the ablation an option?

In related health news, after an anxious three days waiting for biopsy results, we heard the sweetest word--negative.

edit: What will get the swelling down, meds or exercise?

Right now I don't know. That's one of the first questions for the PCP and we didn't think of it when at the hospital. Right after the cardiac ablation I may have tried walking too much and set off this whole thing by myself and if that's the case I sure don't want to do that again!

They did say that the upper leg would be sore because where the blood was leaking also involved muscle tissue. And it is sore and tender, but not in agonizing pain like I was. So until I have a thorough talk with the doc on this I'm not going to be doing much more than a couch potato. The extent of my travels tomorrow will be to get a prescription filled (DW will drive) and walking in and out of the drug store. That seems within the bounds of reasonableness.

But I sure timed it right on signing up on the lawn service. When we got home the "front 40" was mowed. There is no way I could do it now.

Was transradial catheterization (through the wrist) for the ablation an option?

Not that I know of, but I didn't know enough to even ask. I get the sense from the reading I've done that going in through the larger vessels of the groin area is the preferred option.

In related health news, after an anxious three days waiting for biopsy results, we heard the sweetest word--negative.

That's always cause for celebration!:dance:

My mom had quadruple heart bypass yesterday so am sitting in the hospital with her.

After losing my dad in January I was quite surprised when I got a phone call last Monday that mom was in the hospital and would be having bypass on Wednesday in Dallas.

At 74 she has smoked all her life, had 2 heart attacks and 2 strokes yet we can't get her to stop smoking. Her surgery was more than 24 hours ago and she's still not alert but her surgeon isn't concerned. Said her recovery is slow but positive.

I took a picture of her while she was on the ventilator with the chest wound showing (she was not conscious). I'm having the picture framed and giving it to her a month or so after she gets out which is about the time she'll want her first cigarette. Probably sounds like tough love but I need her to see what she looked like so that maybe she'll put down that cigarette!

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes that she will quit up. My aunt was still smoking while she was on oxygen..... she would take off her oxygen take a few drags and then put her cigarette off to the side and put her oxygen back on. :facepalm:

Tried both Mint.com and Personal Capital today. Didn't like either on of them.

I've been using Quicken for so long that everything is almost on auto-pilot. Just wish Quicken had a better mobile app. Mint's mobile app is better but it isn't worth the pain of learning a new app... I guess I've officially become an 'old fogy'.

Don't get your hopes that she will quit up. My aunt was still smoking while she was on oxygen..... she would take off her oxygen take a few drags and then put her cigarette off to the side and put her oxygen back on. :facepalm:

My hopes are zero and I live across the country so if she chooses to smoke again at least I won't see her do it but I had to try.

Installed new sink & faucet, shut off valves and supply lines in guest bathroom. Looks good, girlfriend will enjoy. I'm beat.

Thinking of you and wishing you speedy recovery so you can get back to enjoying your ER.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We went on a Sacramento river cruise, had lunch in Old Town and visited the California State Railroad Museum.

It's a really hard addiction to beat. It took having half a lung removed to get my mother to stop smoking.

Last edited:
Yesterday was busy. Walked the dog on the beach, was pleased to see that the upwelling of sand is starting to happen. There was more beach erosion this year than I've seen, ever... and the sand is starting to return. Yay.

Got home to an email from my stepmom... she needed a ride to see her son in the hospital. He'd apparently had a series of small heart attacks and was admitted on Tuesday - Wed. he had a 2 stents placed. I drove stepmom and her daughter (who has a freeway phobia). He's in pain - but had good color. His sister is listed as emergency contact/etc so she had a boatload of paperwork. His girlfriend (who's also our piano teacher) was a wreck. I'll be helping out staying with step brother so that his girlfriend can go to her gigs. They have NO income coming in while he recovers unless she works. And the insurance will not be covering a lot of this. My stepbrother and his girlfriend live very much on the edge of broke... so this is a problem. They are very hard working, but in low paying jobs. She hadn't slept in 2 days with worry about him.

I delivered them home in time to head back out to get the kids - it was pouring rain during all of this so driving was less fun than normal.

In small patches in between all of this I was studying for my Italian test I have on Monday.

Main reason was the fitness tracking capabilities built into it, and I'm happy to report that I really like it.

I've never worn a watch, but lately I've been thinking of getting an Apple Watch for fitness/health tracking.

I take it that four days later you're still happy with it? Any specials app/features that you like best?

I've been looking at this market segment for about a year and tend to lean toward devices with longer battery life. I'd like to monitor sleep patterns too and having to charge the watch overnight would be limiting. But overall I think the watch would be funner to use than a dedicated device and I'm curious to hear other people's experiences.

They are very hard working, but in low paying jobs. She hadn't slept in 2 days with worry about him.

What a nightmare to have to deal with! Hope it turns out as well as possible given all the other issues to deal with.

Yesterday was busy. Walked the dog on the beach, was pleased to see that the upwelling of sand is starting to happen. There was more beach erosion this year than I've seen, ever... and the sand is starting to return. Yay.

Got home to an email from my stepmom... she needed a ride to see her son in the hospital. He'd apparently had a series of small heart attacks and was admitted on Tuesday - Wed. he had a 2 stents placed. I drove stepmom and her daughter (who has a freeway phobia). He's in pain - but had good color. His sister is listed as emergency contact/etc so she had a boatload of paperwork. His girlfriend (who's also our piano teacher) was a wreck. I'll be helping out staying with step brother so that his girlfriend can go to her gigs. They have NO income coming in while he recovers unless she works. And the insurance will not be covering a lot of this. My stepbrother and his girlfriend live very much on the edge of broke... so this is a problem. They are very hard working, but in low paying jobs. She hadn't slept in 2 days with worry about him.

I delivered them home in time to head back out to get the kids - it was pouring rain during all of this so driving was less fun than normal.

In small patches in between all of this I was studying for my Italian test I have on Monday.

Oh my, rodi! I am so sorry to read about this situation. That is so nice of you to stay with your step brother so that his girlfriend can continue to work. What a difficult turn of events. Best wishes to your entire family and hoping for a quick and lasting recovery of your step brother.

Last edited:
Thanks Walt and W2R. He's out of the ICU - so that's the good news. And they took out the port that was in his groin.

He's hoping to go home in a few days. He's also worried about the bills and wants to get back to work. He works 6 days a week, 9 hours a day... so the missing pay is worrying him.

I take it that four days later you're still happy with it? Any specials app/features that you like best?

Yes, the more I use it the better I like it. The oh-so-gentle nudge on the wrist is amazing. Barely noticeable but effective. And simply raising your wrist to look at the watch lets you do cool things like say "Hey Siri, remind me to ..."

It also does a great job of helping me stay on track with my fitness goals in a non-nagging way.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom