What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday evening, we went to see the Cole Porter musical Anything Goes at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, CT. We ate a very lovely dinner before the show at the Gelston House Inn, which is right next door.

Here is a picture of both -- the Goodspeed is on the left and the Gelston House on the right. The water is the Connecticut River.

Attachments

• EastHaddam.jpg
    EastHaddam.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 21
Talk about falling and breaking bones, my father-in-law fell on carpeted stairs, and broke his hip. Then, he fell again in the nursing home and broke his arm. Twice. After the bones healed, he was too weak to even stand up on his own, and became wheelchair-bound.

He was a slim guy, and not tall (less distance to the ground!). The carpet did not help him. I say you need to pave your home with marshmallow for protection once you are that frail.

We went to see "Money Monster ". It was a pretty good movie but not as good as " The big Short ".

Last edited:
... Oh - - this is the "what did you do today" thread. Oops. :blush: Well, basically we haven't been doing much and I like the freedom of our rather loosely organized retirement. Usually we get together to split a light restaurant lunch, then go on a pleasure drive, run errands, maybe go to the gym, and enjoy time together at home. That is what we did yesterday, minus the gym.

On the way home from church and shopping, I heard "Me & Bobby McGee". The lyrics reminded me of how often I hear the term "Freedom" on this forum. That was definitely a different time and a different "Freedom".

Love that song. Did you happen to catch the PBS special on Janis Joplin last week?

Yesterday: cleaned the kitchen and reorganized sheet music. I did a rare weekend grocery shopping trip. Today: pack, do online check-in, call the credit card companies, set my cell phone up for Europe. Tomorrow: I'm off to a music festival in Alba, Italy. Without family. We perform May 28th and will rehearse daily (unless we take some time off. The rest of the time we're free. Alba is the white truffle capital of the world. Alas, it isn't truffle season.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Third great run in a week. Perfect weather for it lately.

I had very severe hip pain last summer, so bad I couldn't even walk a short distance without yelping. I thought it was a minor thing, but X-ray and MRI showed it was arthritis that had snuck up on me without warning. The doc said I was "on track for a hip replacement" which boggled my mind since I had always been a runner with no problems.

Then I spent about six months as practically a couch potato, doing no exercise at all. The pain gradually diminished and eventually disappeared. Then I began walking for exercise, which seemed to be fine. After a while, I started some gentle jogging and to my amazement it didn't hurt.

Now I'm doing 10-12 miles a week regularly, using the Jeff Galloway method (30 seconds running, 30 seconds walking). Still pain free, so I'll keep it up as long as I can since it feels so good to be back doing it again.

Yesterday: cleaned the kitchen and reorganized sheet music. I did a rare weekend grocery shopping trip. Today: pack, do online check-in, call the credit card companies, set my cell phone up for Europe. Tomorrow: I'm off to a music festival in Alba, Italy. Without family. We perform May 28th and will rehearse daily (unless we take some time off. The rest of the time we're free. Alba is the white truffle capital of the world. Alas, it isn't truffle season.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm jealous. What will you be singing/playing at the festival?

Yesterday went to my grand nephew and grand niece birthday party. Lots of screaming kids. It was brutal. Day 3 of paleo diet - ran 9 miles - wasn't too bad for having low carbs. Today getting an oil change in my truck, some woodworking and yard work.

Just came back in from the heat. While we were away for a month, our vegetable garden all went to seed with the heat, and the snap peas all dried up.

So, I helped my wife pull them up (yes, it's her garden more than mine), and save the seeds for next season.

I fertilized my beloved tomato plants (yes, these are mine as I planted them from seeds).

Now, I am resting before making my lunch. Life can be better, but probably not by much.

"Sun shines, on my shoulders, make my skin dark..."

Last edited:
The freezer that DW ordered arrived and seems to be working fine. At the moment she's off baby sitting grandnephews. The Blade 230C helicopter I ordered from Amazon arrived but I had to return it because the tail rotor motor wouldn't turn. There was a buzzing from the ESC (speed control) so that was probably the real issue. I'm still debating whether to reorder but I probably will.

After I realized that the 230C was going to be too big to fly inside I ordered a Blade Nano, a palm-sized helicopter and that will be here Friday. I'll practice with that and then reconsider the larger helicopter.

Went to the store for spackle and drop cloths, got Lucy a new bag of rawhide chews, ate a $30 lunch at the sushi bar and did more ceiling cleaning, took down 2 old ceiling fans and tossed them inna trash.

I went looking for the red-shouldered hawk's nest that a neighbor mentioned seeing not far from my house. I had a general idea where to find it, and while I was searching for it another neighbor came by and pointed it out for me. There was a hawk in the nest, so I watched it for about 15 minutes until my arms got tired from holding the binoculars.

Drove grandkids to school & home. Met with owner of gardening company and got a new team. (Major cleanup was Saturday so guess that dn count but yard is weeded) Lengthened dress & denim skirt. Picked airline seats for trips I paid for before

Not much

We have a little fledgling bird hopping around the backyard. The parents are feeding it but it can't fly yet. We tried sitting on the patio today but the dog was staring at us all sad from inside the patio door. He can't come out as he tries to hunt the bird and the parent birds were squawking at us from the trees. We have all sorts of cats, raptors, raccoons and even a fox pass through the backyard regularly so I hope he takes off soon before something eats him and we can go back to our afternoon tea time (well actually its beer time) on the patio.

Its back to winter this morning. About 2 inches overnight. It all melted from the roads so no plowing. That is a good thing because I took the chains and plow off the truck a week ago. It is snowing very lightly so it will be an inside day. I need to lay out the tile for the wood stove and the window people are supposed to show up with some replacement windows and screens that were not made correctly or did not fit the first time.

Flight Review

Today is my birthday. I soloed on my birthday 44 years ago. Boy, that was a long time ago:).
Today I passed my Biennial Flight Review, which permits to fly for another two years before I need another one.

Yes, as I tell DW, the objective is to get rid of the stuff... not to maximize profit.... so I price things attractively.

I go to the auto parts swap meet as a seller to sell some of my car parts (car junk according to DW, hahaha). I always say the goal is to go home with a fat wallet and thin truck.

I can't win. Just over the pain and soreness from the surgery, and I was (of all things) stomping the trash down in the can while in the garage and managed to fall out of the trash can onto the concrete floor. Now I have a huge welt on my left hip, my left knee is sore, a huge bruise on my left arm, and a blackened left eye. I have no idea how that last one happened.

Sent an email photo of me to DW's nephew with the caption "When your wife wants to redecorate, just say yes". They know us well and will laugh.

Fortunately nothing broken but glad I had some pain meds left over.

Ouch, Walt34! About the only good thing about it is that it didn't require an ER visit. Hope you feel better before the pain meds run out.

I took Skittles to his obedience training class this morning, then dashed to the funeral of a wonderful pastor who was only 48 years old. Wonderful tribute to a great man.

After lunch, went to BestBuy to get a new DVD player so DH can try out Netflix (the kids gave him a subscription for his birthday). Then grocery shopping, and now catching up with life online before cooking dinner.

I can't win. Just over the pain and soreness from the surgery, and I was (of all things) stomping the trash down in the can while in the garage and managed to fall out of the trash can onto the concrete floor. Now I have a huge welt on my left hip, my left knee is sore, a huge bruise on my left arm, and a blackened left eye. I have no idea how that last one happened.

Sent an email photo of me to DW's nephew with the caption "When your wife wants to redecorate, just say yes". They know us well and will laugh.

Fortunately nothing broken but glad I had some pain meds left over.

Walt!!! Oh my oh my. Does the blackened left eye mean that you hit your head on the concrete, too? If so, PLEASE please please please go to the ER and get it checked out. I hit my head hard on concrete on July 5th, and like an idiot didn't get it checked out but now wish I had. A bump of the head on concrete at our, uh, mature (?) ages can be dangerous and needs to be checked out IMO.

Last edited:
Walt!!! Oh my oh my. Does the blackened left eye mean that you hit your head on the concrete, too? If so, PLEASE please please please go to the ER and get it checked out.

I did lightly hit with the side of my head, no bruising there. As you may recall I'm on meds to reduce blood clotting so it doesn't take much to cause a bruise. Lots of times I'll find a bruise and have no idea what I hit to cause it.

No, I didn't go to the ER and at this point it has been almost 24 hours so if there were going to be any problems they would have shown up by now I'd think. But I and DW are keeping a watch for anything out of the ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom