What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to church, then to lunch. Came back home and watched "Roman Holiday" on Netflix. Then bottled 5 gallons of ale.

Watched Golden State trounce Cleveland in game two.;)

Caught most of the fourth quarter, after watching reruns of Madame Secretary (Tea Leoni, nuff said!).

Spent about three hours powerwashing the patio, as well as one garage wall and the garage door, in prep for painting that I'm trying to convince myself to start today. Two-day process of primer, then paint. Already on cup two of a pot o' coffee, but inertia is a powerful force...

Caught most of the fourth quarter, after watching reruns of Madame Secretary (Tea Leoni, nuff said!).

Spent about three hours powerwashing the patio, as well as one garage wall and the garage door, in prep for painting that I'm trying to convince myself to start today. Two-day process of primer, then paint. Already on cup two of a pot o' coffee, but inertia is a powerful force...

Primer coat completed!

It was raining. Last night saw a rerun of Dick Cavett where the entire show was an interview with Norman Mailer who had written a bio on Marilyn Monroe. I love the old Dick Cavett reruns. Most of the subjects are long dead now, so it is amazing to see and remember them in their prime.

Today tried to reserve the book but there was no audio version of it. I mostly "read" while I'm doing something else. Came upon Marilyn by Gloria Steinem. That was a digital book available for a one-day lend and readable only in Adobe Editions. I spent an enjoyable afternoon reading the entire thing.

I can't imagine ever doing something like that while still working - meandering down a path that takes half a day just for the pleasure of it.

If you're cooking pizza at high temperature (I like to do it around 550-600°F ), then 00 flour is essential. Regular flour will burn at those temps. I don't see any benefit to using 00 for any other purpose.

Never understood why, just figured it was to help make the crust thin since it seems to come out lighter, if that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

The recipe we use calls for a thin crust cooked quickly at high heat. First on one side with just the crust (few minutes), then remove, flip, put on your toppings (not too heavy), and return to the grill for a few more minutes. I've got a Weber Summit 600 series, so it can get hot. 600+ at the hood, not sure at the grates.

Really like the way it turns out. Matter of fact we haven't done it for a while and it's on the short list for an upcoming dinner. :)

I cancelled an early morning tee time due to rain and high winds, then spent a couple hours adding to my "acoustic song book".

I'm making a binder with lyrics and chord changes for songs. These are mostly "campfire" songs for singalongs, although a couple of my bands play some of them. As I'm primarily a bassist, this helps me keep my guitar chops up.

Today I added 2 songs: America's "Sister Golden Hair" and also made a second page with an alternate version for a 2nd guitar using a capo. The other song was Neil Young's "Heart of Gold".

Wind chimes

For my birthday my DW bought me a set of butterfly wind chimes which I love. These match the butterfly mobile in our front yard that her sons bought us some time ago.
The problem was all the parts were hung together with black thread, and i knew they would not last in the sun. So i went on eBay and bought 100 pound test black braided fishing line and spent part of the afternoon restringing the whole thing.

Got my repaired helicopter back today. With a functional gimbal in the transmitter it works fine, if a bit sensitive.

The photo is of "the fleet". The smallest one is literally "palm size" and the largest has a 21" rotor diameter. I bought the large one (Blade 230 S) first and quickly decided this was beyond my skill level to start so I set it aside. Then I bought the smallest one (Blade Nano CP S), also a collective pitch helicopter, and it flew okay for a short time but then developed a defect that was replaced under warranty. In the meantime, thinking the problem was me, I bought the middle one (Blade 120 S), which is a fixed pitch helicopter. Being fixed pitch makes it slower to react to control inputs so I thought it would be easier to learn with. With some caveats, it is.

It's too windy now to even think of flying any of these.

DW has expressed weariness that the dining room table looks like a miniature airport. I'd keep 'em downstairs but my leg is still sore from the fall so that's my [-]story[/-] [-]excuse[/-] reason.

Attachments

• The_fleet.jpg
    The_fleet.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 21
I am entertaining my first post-retirement cold. Since I'm retired I threw in a case of pink-eye. Really fun.
Funny, I still have that "guilt" about being sick and not being able to "do" anything.

The good thing is that the timing is perfect. No travel planned. No company coming. As good a time as any to be laid up.

Sold an old air conditioner on Craigslist. The first guy who set a time to come get it actually showed at that time, early even, and bought it.

Just got a corrected 1099 from Fidelity, now I know what I'll be doing the next couple of days - refiling.

Spent time with DH and picked out a Groupon restaurant for father's Day.:D

First day back at the gym since about March 20 when we drove down to VA for the cardiac ablation. Complications from that and then a fall kept me out of the gym and in healing-up mode. And I'm still sore in lots of places but the doc said the gym was okay, but start out slow of course.

Okay, I knew there was going to be some atrophy, but wow! A couple of exercises I couldn't even finish even at a lower intensity, the weights I could lift were half or two-thirds, one was less than half. Hopefully I didn't push too hard and I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning. I can see it is going to take a while to get back where I was.

...Hopefully I didn't push too hard and I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning...

A time will come when we consider being able to get out of bed without help an accomplishment, never mind going to the gym. :(

Went for a 2 mile walk, early and short ahead of storms.
Went to doctor, had to wait an hour, are doctors allowed to have appointments on time?
He was terribly concerned about cholesterol, and I will try a new drug.
I brought my BP machine to show him that BP was only high at doctor visits. 112/74 at home, 154/99 at office.
Getting old sucks moose balls.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Went to doctor, had to wait an hour, are doctors allowed to have appointments on time? ..............I brought my BP machine to show him that BP was only high at doctor visits. 112/74 at home, 154/99 at office.
Reminds me of a conversation with a former doc.

Him- "Why is your blood pressure so high today?"
Me- "Because you have kept me waiting for two hours".
Him- "It is the office help's fault, they schedule the appointments too closely.
Me on the way out, to the office staff -"Dr. X said I had to wait because you schedule the appointments too closely."

I never went back to see if they'd decided whose fault it really was. :LOL:

Office staff: "We give him more appointments, so he needs to work faster to make more money to give us raises".

Bocce ball, lunch at a Mexican restaurant and in the evening a concert in the park with a Beatles tribute band. They were really great. We didn't know we could BYOB, so next time we will be better prepared.

Yesterday at Spacefest VII I had lunch with Gerry Griffin, who was a flight director for all of the Apollo missions, and also a Gemini controller. He shared his experiences of famous events in US space flight and it was awesome. That evening there was an Apollo panel where a group of astronauts did the same. Included were Al Bean, Jim Lovell, Jim McDivitt, Dick Gordon, Al Wordon, and Fred Haise.

Waiting for DW's latest purchase, a new Fridge. The current one is 14 years old, still works sort of. It came with the house.

The PO had decorative Oak trrim put on the doors to match the rest of the Kitchen. Over time the excess weight (about 25lb) of the decor deformed the hinges causing the doors to sag. Twice I had to adjust the hinges to get the doors to close correctly.

The new one is supposedly a version of LG via Sears. Bottom freezer, single door, no doodads in the door (water, ice etc.) and not smart, that is w/o internet connection, that was my allowed input to the purchase.

Went for a 2 mile walk, early and short ahead of storms.
Went to doctor, had to wait an hour, are doctors allowed to have appointments on time?
He was terribly concerned about cholesterol, and I will try a new drug.
I brought my BP machine to show him that BP was only high at doctor visits. 112/74 at home, 154/99 at office.
Getting old sucks moose balls.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

DH's doctor called this "White Coat Syndrome". Drs offices make your blood pressure go up.

I've done the same thing, bring BP monitor to appointment so that the Dr can check it for accuracy against her BP monitor.

Now I take notes of a week or two of my BP readings at home to show how "normal" it is when I'm not at my Drs office.

drove the Harley around the Texas Hill country for about 5 hours with some buddies who are visiting the ROT (Republic of Texas) Rally. Grabbed some great bbq and headed home - fixing to take a nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom