What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley--She is beautiful!

Age 59
will retire in November, Age 60
could have retired age 55 with full pension, staying for the significant health insurance benefit.

Life on the island

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1466111889633.jpg
    1466111889633.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 34
Watched a couple of Euro 2016 matches. England - Wales went right down to the wire. The bet moment on camera was off the pitch when they showed a Welsh lad crying for his team. His mates saw his image on the stadium big screen, they told him, he looked up, the tears stopped and then turned to cheers and he led a cheer that had the entire Welsh section on their feet shouting for their team. :)

Also watching a lot of "football" these days although I missed the England-Wales match yesterday. I don't think we've seen the best from the Euro teams yet.

The USA-Ecuador game last night was very encouraging for the USA, except for losing 3 players on cards for the next match.

The Montessori school our 2 yr old GD goes to had a Father's Day outing today. She ran me ragged LOL
I was very impressed by the staff and the physical plant.

Attachments

• 1706-100848.jpg
    1706-100848.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 22
I was too busy yesterday to post!

I had a boatload of things to do and DH, after a bad night, said he really wanted to go to the ER and have his back checked out after his fall in the bathroom a couple of nights ago.

Dropped DH off at 8 AM. Yeah, dropped him off. Bad, I know, but we agree there's no need to waste time for both of us. Finished grouting a section of the tile floor I'm putting down. Pulled some weeds. Did grocery shopping. Had lunch and went over to the hospital at 1, worried because I'd heard nothing. DH still in ER, X-rays done, pain-killer working. Two compression fractures in his vertebrae. They want to operate. They found a lung polyp, too. I left and drove 30 minutes across the state line to pick up my race packet for a triathlon Sunday. Headed to fitness center. Hospital called at beginning of my workout. He was in surgery and would be back in his room in about an hour and a half. They called again. No, he had a low-grade fever. No surgery.

Went home. Showered, called DH to see what he needed from home (doc nixed the mini-bottle of Bombay Sapphire I was going to bring). Saw him for about half an hour. Impressive place- even had a couch, desk area and separate TV for loyal wives who stick with hubby. I left, went to Costco and Lowe's (needed more grout) and picked up take-out Chinese on my final stop. Binge-watched "Say Yes to the Dress" and had a good night's sleep.

We saw a community theater production of Green Day's rock musical American Idiot. It was really well done. Loved the music and they had amazing sets for a community theater group.

We also went to a community theater last night to see Godspell. It was very well done. There are an amazing number of talented people in the world, and you can see why people who are making a living at it must be truly extraordinary indeed.

What did I do today?

Well, the day is still young, but I woke up early as usual. I checked on the slow cooker, and the pork carnitas was done. I am going to brown the shredded meat a bit, but it is still early yet, because the party is at 11:30.

Yes, I am hosting a Father's Day party for the big family, as I usually do. We have our mothers, some of the siblings, the kids, some nieces and nephew and their spouses. My children like to take me out, but I always insist on a home party so I can include everybody.

I will also grill some chicken Portuguese style before the guests arrive. Been debating whether I should make some Margarita, but then my son-in-law said he will bring some beers. My wife is helping with side dishes and condiments. The guests will also bring something.

Darn, life is so good, even if it is going to hit 117F today when I will be outside grilling the chicken.

We spent yesterday visiting DD and her DH in their new house. I helped him with some yard work and DW complained - I did more yardwork yesterday with him than with DW over the last 6 years combined. :LOL:

It's true, but we have an HOA and they do most of the work here. The body is sore but it's good to know I can still handle a day working in 90 degree heat.

Big week for DW. It was the last week of school and her last day of work - ever. I've been retired for 9 1/2 years and finally, finally she is retired, too. Looking forward to traveling together in non-prime time.

We also went to a community theater last night to see Godspell. It was very well done. There are an amazing number of talented people in the world, and you can see why people who are making a living at it must be truly extraordinary indeed.

As someone devoid of musical or acting talent, I'm consistently blown away by the quality of even the local bands and community theater productions in our area. The Broadway touring plays are usually always really enjoyable for us, but many local theater groups are just as good or come very close to the touring plays, especially the acting school productions as I think they get a lot of talented yet free labor.

As someone devoid of musical or acting talent, I'm consistently blown away by the quality of even the local bands and community theater productions in our area.

Same thing here, when we go which admittedly isn't often. Similarly, I'm the poster guy for the phrase "Can't carry a tune in a bucket".

We went over to SIL's house for the family get together there, the nice 15-minute drive. Ribs, hamburgers, coleslaw, baked beans, and lots of other stuff. Too much left over so everyone was being asked to take some home but everyone else had too far to drive. Okay, I can handle free food!

Last edited:
Yesterday was Cavalier's 20th annual motorcycle ride-in. Pretty good turnout.

Attachments

• 11113978_393889084135222_6228593518674833229_o.jpg
    11113978_393889084135222_6228593518674833229_o.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 19
Fast walked a half marathon in the mountains (can't run currently due to shin splints). Very satisfied with my 3:08 finish in that 1) I walked it, 2) it started at 9500 ft, and 3) it's the longest distance I've done since January when my shin splints started.

Today we're heading into the Sierras for a two night backpack. Given it's going to be 100+ in most of California the next few days, our timing couldn't be better. Sometimes you get lucky.

It's been miserable for the past week or so, what with the heat index consistently above 100, so I've been hiding indoors a lot.

Friday was a couple o' pints and some tacos with a buddy, Saturday a warm, humid evening of jazz in the park, Sunday a massage, then a bike ride, featuring a coyote sighting.

Today is waiting for a roofer to discuss a new roof, courtesy of mama nature's spring hail storms, a hassle I'd have been happy to avoid...

If there is a bell curve distribution for every kind of understanding/intelligence, I just dealt with someone on the far left for "internet usage"!

I manage the website for our civic association. There is a members only section which requires login, and to get a login ID and password is a two-step process. A homeowner has to request a login via the website using a valid email, and I need to verify their name and ownership status.

It took one woman three tries to correctly enter her email address. I had to send her a screenshot of the requests I received, showing her the incorrect email she was inputting, before she understood. It wasn't just a typo; her email is "jvdoe @domain" and she kept inputting her initials instead.

Once I finally got her registered, she couldn't figure out how to log in (she kept using the "sign up" form instead of the login interface). I again had to email her screen shots with the pertinent parts circled in red. After two tries she finally got in. Then she was confused because she couldn't find the information about our community yard sale-- which is housed in the public-facing part of the website. I had to give up before I gave myself a headache by banging my head on the desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom