What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my truck in for repairs. No power steering. Spent some time with the well guy fixing our water pressure problem. Happily waited around the house for UPS delivery of my new camera lens, and now off for a bike ride.

I checked today and my first Android app on the Google PlayStore has more users than just the 4 people I arm-twisted into beta testing for me. I think it was 35 installs and 35 active (nobody uninstalled...good sign...must be working for them). I'm not going to mention the name of the app because I don't want to run afoul of the rules here. And besides, I don't want any uninstalls (99.999% chance* the app is of no use to you anyway).

PM me if you live in Addison, Austin, Charlotte, Columbia, Cordova, Fort Worth, Houston, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Raleigh, San Antonio or St Louis because that would mean the chances change to 99.5% :)

I checked today and my first Android app on the Google PlayStore has more users than just the 4 people I arm-twisted into beta testing for me. I think it was 35 installs and 35 active (nobody uninstalled...good sign...must be working for them). I'm not going to mention the name of the app because I don't want to run afoul of the rules here. And besides, I don't want any uninstalls (99.999% chance* the app is of no use to you anyway).
Is this a free app?

Dealt with this thing.

Some moron dropped her off yesterday night during a hellacious storm. Pathetic, wet, shaking and crying I heard her fifty yards away.

We have two small dogs and a kitten would certainly change the dynamics of the critters. Meanwhile we're trying to sell and move; a kitten would be a real PIA. Sensibility wins call animal control. Oh animal control which one? I get a number from our vet, nobody answers goes to a generic voice-mail with nothing identifying animal control. Continue to get numbers and call other animal control places, none answer their phones. Many hours later I get a call back from the first number. This person's objective is to not take the cat. "You don't live in the county", yes I do. Here's the address. "We don't take stray cats". It's a kitten! Not stray some Moron dumped it!

Finally I win and they will take the kitten if I bring it in. Some service for my country taxes.

DW called the groomer who said she'd be happy to re-home the kitten.

Attachments

• 1468010644481.jpg
    1468010644481.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Visited Schonburg and then Albertina Museum in one day. One final apflestrudel and cappuccino, also. Gonna miss Vienna very much.

I skipped Schonbrunn on this trip to Vienna having seen it twice before - but it's an amazing place, including the gardens.

The Albertina exhibit of Monet-Picasso I thought was extremely well done, and I enjoyed their small selection of furnished state rooms as well.

Definitely enjoyed the strudel as well. Hope you continue to have a great trip - I got back Monday night and am still in a little bit of withdrawal.

Got up, had breakfast, took 3 mile walk, showered, and drove off island to get a mammogram.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1468018642500.jpg
    1468018642500.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 23
What did I do today?
Woke up at 5:30 am, had coffee. Did my usual news/financial reading. Got picked up at 7:30 to go to the range. Put about 300 rounds of 9 mil and .45 acp down range. Did the pistol competition course against a local police offer. (that is good fun!)
Got home about 10. Ran by my former employer to handle some paperwork, went to the grocery store, then the gym.
Cleaned my weapons in the afternoon, a little housework thrown in . Late in the afternoon, I opened a beer and am watching the Cubs.
Currently have elk steaks marinating for dinner.

I am in bachelorhood-mode as DW is visiting family back East. Life is good

Yesterday I picked up my SO from the hospital . He had a total knee replacement Thursday and was released Friday . He is already walking without a walker and only occasionally using a cane . His bounce back ability amazes me . When He had his triple bypass he was out of the hospital in three days and back to normal very quickly .

What did I do today?
Woke up at 5:30 am, had coffee. Did my usual news/financial reading. Got picked up at 7:30 to go to the range. Put about 300 rounds of 9 mil and .45 acp down range. Did the pistol competition course against a local police offer. (that is good fun!)
Got home about 10. Ran by my former employer to handle some paperwork, went to the grocery store, then the gym.
Cleaned my weapons in the afternoon, a little housework thrown in . Late in the afternoon, I opened a beer and am watching the Cubs.
Currently have elk steaks marinating for dinner.

I am in bachelorhood-mode as DW is visiting family back East. Life is good

Any day you can push 300 rounds down range is a great one. Reminds me I have to load up 500 or so before I take down my Dillion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

It helps people with a loyalty program.

But back on topic...yesterday I made the largest lone grocery shopping trip of my life! Usually DW does it (yes I'm spoiled). This run was for the non-perishables for a week on a houseboat with 4 others. All I did was execute on a list my sister put together (she's the houseboat queen). The hardest part about it was determining what was "large" and "small" of things when there were 20 sizes to choose from.

I skipped Schonbrunn on this trip to Vienna having seen it twice before - but it's an amazing place, including the gardens.

The Albertina exhibit of Monet-Picasso I thought was extremely well done, and I enjoyed their small selection of furnished state rooms as well.

Definitely enjoyed the strudel as well. Hope you continue to have a great trip - I got back Monday night and am still in a little bit of withdrawal.
Ah, yes. Schonbrunn palace vs Palais Schonburg. We only walked the grounds of Schonbrunn this time. To much to go inside, and we headed to Albertina.

The state rooms were closed off temporarily. We went through the Jim Dine exhibit. ALBERTINA - Current

On previous days we visited the Jewish museums:
Visit | Jüdisches Museum Wien

We left early Saturday morning and were able to burn off our last $150 euros.

TIP: If it can be avoided, do not make connections at CDG Paris.

The day is young, and we have a lot of work in front of us. Need to pack up, and drive back up to our high-country home to continue work on the big deck. They are delivering the Trex boards tomorrow. See y'all later.

So, I am now at 7,000' lounging around in a breezy 88F (31C) temperature, and a low humidity of 18%. What a reprieve from the 110F (43C) oven of the low desert.

As usual, the front door and the back patio doors are opened to allow the wind to blow in from one side of the house to exit the other side. When I told my daughter on the phone about the temperature here, she went "Arghhh!".

Yes, tomorrow the workers will be back to facing rush hour traffic, roasting in their vehicles. When your car sits out in the sun all day and its interior gets heat soaked up to 140F or higher, it does not really cool down with the AC until you are already close to home. Just one more incentive for people to try to save to retire early.

Last edited:
I was a docent on the caboose on the Fillmore & Western Tourist Railroad. Had a professor and his wife and daughter on way, and a husband & wife, and their son and DIL on the return trip.
atsf_999570_DSC_0010.jpg

We saw Brit Floyd at the Warfield in San Francisco last night. We both loved the show. DH first saw them on a PBS Special - Brit Floyd Live at Red Rocks, and was happy to have the chance to see them in person:

Today we went into SF again to see a film noir musical, City of Angels.

DH received his first social security payment today. The best way we know to celebrate....Las Vegas baby! :dance:

Drove to Charlottesville, VA for an early AM follow-up doctor appointment at the hospital tomorrow. Yes, we could have gotten up at 0'dark thirty and driven down but this way we don't have to do that and then have some wreck on the interstate make us late and have to reschedule. It takes about three months to get an appointment with this guy.

Besides, once in a while DW likes the luxury of staying in a hotel and eating meals out. And the hotel has a special low rate for people here medical visits at the hospital, ~$65 off the regular rate. That's a discount I hadn't thought about to ask for but I overheard someone else mention it when checking in last time.

We saw The Fixx at a club called the Ritz in San Jose on Monday. That was a lot of fun. They still sound the same after all these years. The club was packed and half the people were younger, which surprised me, but they seemed to know all the songs. Yesterday we saw the play Fences at an outdoor amphitheater with a pre-show picnic with friends. We enjoyed that as well. The actors did a great job. Today was lunch at a pub and the rest of the day is catching up on errands and chores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom