What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike ride in the morning, played with my wood lathe in the afternoon. A perfect day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

IBM370Assy.jpg

Saw one on eBay with asking price of $20.

So, you have your reference card. The next thing is to get a System 370 sitting in your living room. It would make an interesting conversation piece.

I have at least 6 or 8 or more of these of varying versions as well as many other reference cards in a similar format. They were required.

You might be able to find an old P/390 for resale on the secondary, tertiary, or quaternary markets, but a real S/370 (or z/Series) mainframe would seriously challenge the typical home's power and cooling capacity to the point that you would be lucky to power it on long enough to complete an IPL ('boot' in little Indian terminology) before the thing takes a thermal check and turns itself off. Oh, . . . and even the smallest configuration would fill several rooms of a typical house.

Well, if you do not have the room nor can afford the electric bill, get a PDP-11 or a table-top PDP-8 then.

And if you need to work on it, you can roll out this Tektronix RM-545 oscilloscope.

tekrm545b.jpg

Last edited:
About 3 weeks ago I threw out a whole desk drawer of system 370 literature from the early 70s. I was working for Dayton-Hudson at the time and was sent to an IBM introduction of the 370 systems class.

I may still have an 8008 chip in my junk box somewhere. :angel:

No, just kidding. The oldest CPU chips I know I still have is an 8080, a Z80, and a 68000.

I did just pitch a perfectly good 8 inch floppy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Sounds like an oximoron to me... good for what? :)

Good for use in a 8" floppy drive, of course.

I posted 10 times in an absconded beach chair thread

I almost did not visit that thread. But when I saw the number of posts, of course I had to go in, and insert some tongue-in-cheek comments. The recreational value of the forum is far superior to anything else on the Web. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Picked up 10 sheets of plywood underlayment and 300 sqft of commercial grade carpet tiles for my yet unfinished 3 season room.
Progress.

Listened to the recording of my first ever vocal solo from a performance on Sunday. Sounded better than I had hoped.

Sounds like an oximoron to me... good for what? :)

Well for reading and writing data of course. Think it held 1 MB data, you can do a lot with a MB.;)

I'm getting ready for cement in my basement floor and piers for front and back decks. In laying out the tubes for the back deck piers, I discovered the auger had wandered. I needed to move one hole about three inches for the 12 inch tubes. I'm going through decomposed granite. I made progress with a very heavy steel bar that is about 5 1/2 ft long. I'll finish it tomorrow... if I'm not too sore!

Just saw on eBay people want more than $200 for a used and in good condition 8" double-sided double-density FDD. And someone just paid $35 (shipping included) for an 8" single-side single-density FDD which is not warranted.

There's money in these old hardware!

Full day!

ROMEO meeting at Burger King - 8 - 10 am - 9 attendees - coffee and whatever

ROMEO members (only 5 in attendance) lunch at local restaurant to celebrate a member's birthday. 12:30 - 1:30 PM

Goof off all afternoon as DW packs for one week in Santa Clara, Ca and Monterrey, Ca to go to niece's wedding. I'm staying home to watch the dog and be a bachelor for a week.:dance:

7:00 - 8:00 PM - self and two friends go walk the golf course as we try to do that each Wednesday. It was humid and uncomfortable over the 3+ miles.

8:30 - 10:00 PM - beer and popcorn at the local watering hole.:cool:

Went for a two-mile walk that I do on days when we don't go to the gym, breakfast, read the newspaper, watched some youtube videos of a WWII documentary, some others on R/C flying and got the first flights in on a UMX Carbon Cub R/C airplane and some other flights on the UMX Pitts S-1S. I'm liking these little foam R/C airplanes that are small enough to fly in the back yard.

The Carbon Cub is interesting. It has LED position lights and a landing light, flaps, and an attachment point for a sailplane towline. I also bought the float set but I'll only use them on the Sport Cub S, which is cheap enough to write off if things go badly in the water.

Back from spending three days at the mancave disconnected from the world.

Plenty of DiHydrogen Monoxide.:LOL:

Installed the plywood underlayment and 250 of the 300 sqft of carpet tiles. My back is killing me from w*rking on my hands and knees all day. Thank goodness for pneumatic tools. Unfinished 3 season room is almost done. Progress.

Ran Bix7 with SIL and 20,000 other runners in Davenport, Ia. Lots of foot traffic.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Just got back from 9 days in Frankfurt Germany. We got a little tourism in but it was primarily a wedding celebration followed by a few days of DW's siblings getting together. They are spread around the world and don't see each other very often. A most enjoyable time, and I have a new favorite summer drink - apfelwein (spritz). A low alcohol hard cider mixed with sparkling water. Very refreshing and sooooo easy to drink. :)

Rented a floor sander from Home Depot and spent about 6 hours sanding a bedroom floor. Next up is staining and polyurethane. I was thinking of getting at least a first coat down tonight, but I find myself really tired now, so I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom