What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saccharin as rat poison? On the Web, they talk about studies showing rats getting cancer from it, or are you talking about something else?

In any event, I do not want to have dead roof rats up in my attic stinking up the whole house. So, no poison can be used.

I always heard that rat poison causes the poisoned rat to exit the building in search of water. Thus no stinky dead rat in the attic.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

RE: stinky dead rats.

This winter the exterminator put poison in my attic b/c the cat cannot get up there so no danger to the cat. Maybe there are some mice up there that died and stayed but I have not seen any. He also put snap traps but he came back in a week to get what they caught.

If you use poison in the winter it might be that they do die in the house but they will not smell and then they will dry up before the summer. I would not dare to put poison back up there now.

Once the cat chased a mouse into a hole in the wall of my office. This was back in her more energetic days. Now she lies in the basement so she can watch them run around - cat TV. Anyway the mouse in the wall died, in summer, and it stank for 2 weeks.

Saccharin as rat poison? On the Web, they talk about studies showing rats getting cancer from it, or are you talking about something else?..........
Yes, it gives them bladder cancer. You have to get them to eat large doses over a period of years.

Pulling people's leg again, as I suspected.

Lifetime of a brown rat: 2 years. That of a black rat: 1 year. :)

Think I'll just let them get drunk on Cognac, then dump them in the garbage can when they are out cold. They may drink only XO, but I can spare a shot or two. It's worth it.

Last edited:
After normal morning routine (walk dog, eat breakfast, read newspaper) I cleaned our fish pond and did some gardening. Then caught up on e-mails, etc. before going to the grocery store. Now catching up here in FIREland and paying some bills. After lunch, drive DH to physical therapy (and work on a volunteer project while I'm there). Early dinner because dog and I are in an advanced dog manners training class Tuesday evenings for the next several weeks. On the way home will stop in to see some (dog-friendly) friends who are organizing a trip to Machu Picchu next summer that I'll be enjoying with a friend - get a chance to meet some of the other travelers. Busy day!

Went out to dinner with DW at the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV. 28 years of wedded bliss!:dance::smitten:

CONGRATS!

DW & I love the Bavarian Inn...and Sheperdstown. We celebrated our 25th anniversary there several years back.:D

Out to dinner with DW last night to celebrate anniversary number 37. I pointed out that this was a permutable prime, she wasn't impressed. Back to the park today for some photography - stayed on shore and got some good insect photos. I'll share DW's favorite in honor of our anniversary.

Attachments

• Tiger Swallowtail.jpg
    Tiger Swallowtail.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 24
Drove around to yard sales that were posted on local Facebook sites. I'm looking for winter lined water-resistant running pants and a Scrabble board. No luck, but it was still fun.

Made individual caprese salad appetizers for a lunch later today. Nothing says summer like tomato/basil/mozzarella or sweet corn.

Wish it could have been with my own tomatoes. My plants, which I grew from seeds, have not even blossomed yet. Very tall and healthy but I think they don't get enough sun.

Helped a friend remove the 4 KW generator set from his RV. The thing just stopped when it was running. The generator rear bearing failed (balls disintegrated) and the shaft locked up. What a mess, but the Onan 4000 generator is 25 years old. A new replacement is around $4250 installed.

As I read this thread it occurs to me that I haven't done much of anything.... Sure, I walked the dog on the beach every morning for the past 13 days. I did some duolingo Italian. Signed up for an accounting class for the fall.... But mostly I putzed around the house doing chores, binge watched netflix, and started binge watching the olympics.

I did go to the local park for their annual ice cream banana split day. (A local community family donates the icecream, and the local community association provides the toppings and volunteer labor. A local zydeco band offered to play for free... so a good time.... Been going on 1x year for 35 years!!!) A friend asked how I liked retirement and what I was doing to stay busy.... I couldn't think of anything I was doing special. LOL.

Life is good.

Out to dinner with DW last night to celebrate anniversary number 37. I pointed out that this was a permutable prime, she wasn't impressed. Back to the park today for some photography - stayed on shore and got some good insect photos. I'll share DW's favorite in honor of our anniversary.

Boy, you really know how to charm a girl! :rolleyes:

Here's hoping you both make it to 71. ;)

Today I got paid to float down the river. A very easy day guiding-- beautiful weather and friendly, capable guests make for a wonderful day. And they tipped well!

Actually yesterday, I finished the project of adding A/C to my 52 GMC hot rod pickup. The Chevy 350 engine already has the compressor on it in preparation for this A/C conversion. I used an old 60's underdash A/C evaporator unit I had around in my parts stash. I also used an old condenser I had, and my only real expense was getting the custom hoses made up. About $200 for the new hoses. Once I mounted all the parts, made all the hose and electrical connections, pulled a vacuum, and charged it up; I had cool air blowing. Very nice having the cold air blowing and the windows rolled up vs 2-60 A/C (2 windows down and 60 mph). Guess I'll find out if the system holds and no leaks within a few weeks. I used R-134a, even though the evap unit was designed way back in R-12 days. It has a thermal expansion valve and it is close enough calibration to work with R-134a. Did not measure air outlet temps, but it seems pretty close to freezing, so it is working well.

Did lots of other house and garage cleaning since it finally cooled down a bit with the monsoon season rains finally kicking in, about 1 month late. Had another couple that are friends over Sat night for a nice dinner and just hanging out.

So you are now a cool dude in 38 Chevy.

Installed a sub-panel for four circuit breakers under the main incoming power panel at my friend's house to be able to add a 30 amp 120 volt circuit to run the power for his RV now that the RV generator has been removed and trashed.

His main panel had no open slots for another circuit breaker so the additional panel was the best option. We than added a dedicated female power outlet next to the box so that the RV can be powered while parked in his driveway.

Did all this Sunday before it got too hot out. Today I'm just goofing off. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom